Urgent appt tomorrow. Help

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Urgent appt tomorrow. Help

Postby thefer74 » 19 Nov 2012, 21:02

Hi
I have an AF for the last several years. It was completely healed until I went to Hawaii and ate lots of nuts. I came home and spent the next two months in pain. My plan was that if it didn't get better, then I will go see someone when my insurance starts. That came and went. AF seemed healed and I had no further problems until last Friday. I wasn't feeling quite right. I was very dizzy and nausea, low grade fever (99.5). When I went to the bathroom and wiped, I noticed alot of pus and I felt a bulge or swelling near the AF. It was very sore. I finished out my day at work and came home. As I was sitting on the couch, I felt something wet. I got up and found pus and blood. I ended up having to use a maxi pad. Thank god that I did because it leaked for the next two days.
Finally, I made the call today and contacted a CR. They were booked but when I told them what was going on. They passed me to the dr's medical assistant. They are getting me in tomorrow afternoon. They said that it is urgent.
Has this happened to anyone? What can I expect? I seriously hope they don't mention surgery.
Thanks
thefer74
Salt Bather

Topics: 22

Re: Urgent appt tomorrow. Help

Postby jr2 » 19 Nov 2012, 22:18

hi Fer...
You may have an abscess, hopefully not. It's good that you are getting in quickly to see the doctor because if it needs to be treated it will be a lot better for your healing and will hopefully catch it and reduce the risk of fistula formation.
What you can expect is the usual history taking. The doctor will then do a visual inspection of the outside of your anus by spreading the butt cheeks apart. Depending on what the doctor sees, they will maybe want to perform a rectal exam or use an anoscope to view the anal canal. If you feel you can't tolerate this, don't let them perform it. If it needs to be done, it can be done under anesthesia to save you from the pain.
If you do have an abscess, depending on where it's at, the doctor may treat it right there.
Keep us posted on how you make out! Good luck!
jr2

Topics: 15

Re: Urgent appt tomorrow. Help

Postby thefer74 » 20 Nov 2012, 16:24

Hi
Well, it was not good. The AF is pretty bad and will need surgery if we can't get it to heal. There is an absess behind the anal fissure. The skin around the anus is red and irritated from the pus. The exam was very painful. He did use the anoscope and at one point I had to ask him to stop. I wish he would get some numbing gel. He didn't see a hole coming out but there are indications that it will follow. It is just a matter of time. He did end up numbing it and draining the pus. That will go to the lab for further testing. I was put on antibiotics, supsorities and some type of cream. He wants to see me after Thanksgiving at which time he hopes to do a better exam when the infection is under control. If it is still bad at that time, I am looking at surgery in mid December because the infection is damaging tissues. We suspected that this started in June when I had a flare up. It came to a head this week. He told me that I should have come in sooner instead of waiting this long. If the absess comes back, then I have to go back and have it drained again. I am hoping that the medications will heal it and hold off surgery. If the fissua develops then it's surgery.
thanks
thefer74
Salt Bather

Topics: 22