3 days post lis and skin tag removal

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

3 days post lis and skin tag removal

Postby Sorew5 » 18 Nov 2012, 19:39

Hi all. This forum has helped so much.
I had my op on Friday afternoon. Pain in fri night was excruciating. I was on tramadol, nurofen and panadol. Tramadol gave me vertigo and meant every time I sat up I was sick so couldn't keep food down. Had to stop tramadol and stick to panadol, nurofen, ice pack and heat pack ( depending on type of pain).
Spasms were really bad on Sunday. Sunday night I managed first sleep all way through night without waking in pain.
Had first bm today and omg the pain. It took an hour to do it. It was massive! Considering the fibre I've been eating. Most painful experience ever I thought it was never going to end. I got my bf to come home from work it was s bad. Anyway I was relieved after but throbbing went on for 2 hours at least. I recommend asking painkillers pre bm when you can.
I have brown/ yello discharge but not much blood.
Also big lump... Feel like bum is inside out but asked nurse and she said that is normal swelling!
When should I expect to be better? I am supposed to go on holiday in five days..
Sorew5
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

5 days post op

Postby Sorew5 » 21 Nov 2012, 02:00

Hey everyone. So today is day 5. Yesterday morning was terrible after bm and I had a site bath and then laid on the couch with an ice pack on my bum and then a heat pack!
I decided today to make sure I have paracetamol and nurofen before my bm. Was a lot less painful. Burning after was significant and I went strait into shower and bath. Burning stopped after 20 mins. Have felt ok for rest of day. Still on panadol and nurofen. Can almost sit down, not for too long but standing and getting up is a lot easier. The area feels a bit damp towards the evening so I make sure I use TP and baby wipes between site baths.
My diet has been mainly Veges, fruit, lots of water. I had fish with Veges and potatoes last night. Also an omelette for lunch. My main advice is when you go for a bm try and be prepared with painmeds beforehand and take a glass of water with u (helps if u have problems getting it out!).
I am still off work and no plans to go back this week. Haven't yet been out the house but seeing the CRS tomorrow as I was worried about the lump do he said he would see me earlier than planned. I will update after my consult. Fingers crossed everything is healing as it should be and I can go on my vacation on sat!!!!
Sorew5
Fibre Addict

Re: 3 days post lis and skin tag removal

Postby owmybum » 21 Nov 2012, 05:25

Sounds like things are going well for you. That's great x
Good luck with your holiday and keep us posted
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

CRS follow up

Postby Sorew5 » 21 Nov 2012, 19:16

Thanks OMB! :)
So it's day 6 today.. I went to the CRS about the lump and he said it was a hematoma caused by the local (swollen blood vessel). Likely will go down in two or three weeks.
He gave me Flagyl AB just in case I get an infection on hols but not to use unless I literally have TP covered n yellow stuff!
His other advice:
-do not use shower gel or any chemicals whatsoever on area for a couple of weeks just water is enough. Really use the shower head and clean it with that.
-sitz baths aren't crucial now he said but I can have them if I want. He said showers are good enough!
- he said stick to nurofen and panadol for at least another week. Take up to maximum every day so 8 panadol and 6 nurofen.
-for my plane journey he said take Imodium so that I don't need a BM on way to my holiday
-said stop the normacol plus as I don't need to bulk up when I am already eating fibre
- don't go crazy on fibre (I was eating only fibre) just eat normally and drinks lots of water.
Try sorbilax or lactulose 10-20ml every day which helps with softening
-ocean/pool will do me good
-avoid codeine and tramadol as they make me sick. He said tramadol is known to give people nightmares!
So that's my news. He signed me off til the end of the week so with my holiday I will have had two weeks off work.
He said it was healing well and he will see me again on 10 December.
Today I feel more positive and I even went to the grocery store briefly. Can almost sit down properly yay!
I think once you get over day 5 it's much better. I could have gone to work today with a cushion but would have Beene quite uncomfortable. BM today wasn't very painful but stung after.. Needed a bath for 10 mins then was fine.
Good luck everyone and I will keep updating this :-)
Sorew5
Fibre Addict

1 week post op

Postby Sorew5 » 23 Nov 2012, 05:40

So I spent 2 hours in the car today and by the end of it my bottom was throbbing! I had forgotten my dose of panadol which probably didn't help so I stopped off while out and bought some panadol. Took about two hours for throbbing to stop but was nothing compared to day 1-4.
Got my plane ride tomorrow. Planning to get up extra early and hopefully have a bm before going to the airport so I can shower etc and not suffer the stinging. It's so tiring planning life around my bottom at the moment. I can't wait until its about day 21!
Hope everyone is doing okay. :D
Sorew5
Fibre Addict

Postby owmybum » 23 Nov 2012, 10:49

I recently had a plane journey...... My advice to you would be to take a smallish cushion to sit on, and keep getting up to stretch your legs.... And get off your bum! Remember to drink plenty too... I always feel de hydrated on a plane, so be careful.
I hope your trip is a good one, and your butt is pain free! Xx
Omb
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

16 days post op

Postby Sorew5 » 02 Dec 2012, 05:45

So I am 16 days post op. still on painkillers but slightly less quantity. Pain during and after bm most days which is causing setbacks. I was on vacation last week which definitely helped recovery but back home now and due back at work tomorrow for first day. Not sure how I will cope sitting at a desk all day as even a two hour plane was uncomfortable today but I guess I will find out!
I had some bleeding today with bm but prior to that had 5 days clear from that and pain. I guess the only thing slowing recovery is the bm's. If I could have as off it I am sure it would help! It's very depressing when you feel like you are back feeling close to how you did on about day 5. I am just glad I am over the worst of it. I guess we should take it easy for the first few weeks.
I did go for a scuba dive and was fine! They lowered me into the water and then put the tank on my back do I didn't have the weight on me but it felt fine and I think the sea water was good for it. Also went tubing yesterday (floating down river rapids in a black rubber ring!) which was also fine. I am a bit annoyed that I a back on the nurofen again but I guess it can't be helped.
Will let you know how work goes! Anyone taken longer than two weeks off to recover? I feel bad about having so much time off work but I also don't want to setback my recovery by going back too soon!
Sorew5
Fibre Addict

Postby Lauren12 » 02 Dec 2012, 16:53

I didn't have the LIS and skin tag removal together, I had them as separate procedures several months apart. But I found the skin tag removal painful! I expected little pain from it, thinking of it as just 'skin' but it was explained to me that it was similar to a haemorrhoidectomy - and it felt like it! I couldn't have gone back to work within two weeks of either procedure. In fact it took me a few months to recover from the LIS, but I'm fine now! Mind you, I'm impressed that you've been scuba diving and tubing! I wouldn't have attempted that in the recovery period either - but I think I'm someone who is at the longer end of the scale in terms of time taken to recover. From what I read, some people recover more speedily - but yes, some of us need longer!
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sorew5 » 03 Dec 2012, 06:02

Thanks Lauren :)
I went back to work today. Was okay but had to keep standing up as sitting hurt after a while. Kinda feeling it now I am back home so might not manage the full week of work. Was a good distraction from the pain though!
Scuba diving was easier than sitting haha!
Yes I reckon skin tag is possibly the tougher bit.. Also the hematoma caused by the local is really annoying and I think it is holding my recovery up. The swelling is still big and feels a bit bruised. Look forward to seeing the CRS on Monday for an update on my progress.
After all this I am not sure I would have had the skin tag removed if I knew the pain involved. Some days are worse than pre-op..something I wasn't expecting!
My boyfriend keeps telling me I dhoun't be going back to work so soon but I feel bad about taking so much time off.. It's a catch 22! I gues s health should come first..
Sorew5
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 03 Dec 2012, 11:04

This is amazing that with all the ordeal of having surgery you have the time to enjoy life and make the best out of it. I am also considering surgery and I am one of those that can not be still, I also have a large skin tag on the area of the fissure that has gotten larger, I wonder, do you have to ask the doctor to remove the tag or is part of the surgery procedure in order to heal the fissure.
Last edited by marg6043 on 03 Dec 2012, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: editting
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8