Ignored AF, now dealing with anal abscess

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Ignored AF, now dealing with anal abscess

Postby thefer74 » 25 Nov 2012, 22:16

Hi
I had a major flare up with my AF back in June. I ignored it and an abscess formed behind the anal fissure last weekend. I saw a surgeon on Tuesday after not feeling right. They drained it and put me on antibiotics for 3 weeks. We have surgery tenatively scheduled for Dec 18th if it doesn't heal.
I have been on antibiotics for a couple days now. The abscess is alot smaller but it feels like a rope in the harden area. In that area, there is a tiny hole that drains pus (I suspect that is where the dr drained it, but it hasn't closed). Anyways, I have noticed that as the day goes on, the pain increases. I get back pain and alot of pain/pressure and burning in the rectal area. On several occasions during the day, I will get a sharp pain around the anal fissure that takes my breath away. By 6 pm, I am having to take pain meds so that I can sit or walk.
I am starting to wonder if the abscess is alot deeper than we thought. It amazes me that I am still getting pus from it. Today, I got a little blood. Is it common to experience these symptoms from an anal abscess and anal fissure. My dr is out this week on vacation. If I need too, I can call them and see the oncall dr or wait until my appt next week.
thefer74
Salt Bather

Topics: 22

Re: Ignored AF, now dealing with anal abscess

Postby richibeno » 26 Nov 2012, 00:21

hi it sounds as if the abscess has not drained ,you may well have a fistula now ,this is a tunnel conecting the abscess to the anal canal and the nearest point out side ,nomaly a spot liketiny hole thing which puss and blood come out of ,i would go get it looked at
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Re: Ignored AF, now dealing with anal abscess

Postby thefer74 » 26 Nov 2012, 20:32

Hi
I saw the dr again today after being in alot of pain last night and then getting pus this morning. Those exams are so darn painful. I did learn today that the dr drained the abscess from the inside so I am guessing the tiny hole on the outside is the fistula. He is thinking that the infection is more deeper than we thought. He wants to take me to surgery, drain it, put a drain in it and place seton so that it can drain. Then go back in later to place a plug.
The antibiotics is keeping it at bay. He is thinking that the infection went into the blood stream because the fever is down but it is doing very little to the behind.
The problem that I am running into is that I live alone. I have no family here and it is a day surgery. Not sure what to do as I may not have a choice due to the infection.
Any ideas?
thefer74
Salt Bather

Topics: 22