How often do you all go?? Anyone try Miralax??

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

How often do you all go?? Anyone try Miralax??

Postby motherluch » 13 Nov 2007, 19:59

Do many of you have constipation issues?? I currently take something called Natural Calm which is a Mag supplement every other day, so I go to the bathroom every other day. My Dr. wants me to take Miralax instead so I go every day. Has anyone taken it? If so, please tell me about your experiences with it...how much, what time of day, what time of day did you go to the bathroom etc...any other advice regarding constipation would be great! See what happens when a Newbie finds a great place like this??? Can't stop gathering information!!
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Re: How often do you all go?? Anyone try Miralax??

Postby Guest » 13 Nov 2007, 20:02

I take half a dose of miralax every morning and it isn't one of those stimulants so it doesn't trigger a bm, it just makes is softer.
I go once a day in the morning.
I take aloe vera capsules (3 a day)
Magnesium
Flax seed oil and Fish oil to help lubricate the canal so it slips out more easily.

I know people who have been on miralax for 4 years at a time without adverse effects.

Postby motherluch » 13 Nov 2007, 20:27

Hi Lecia,
How much Magnesium do you take, and at what time of day? Which type of Magnesium is it...citrate, oxide????What brand? Are you currently ok with the fissure, or are you in pain and bleeding?? I hope not!!Do you dread going to the bathroom as much as me????!!!!
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Fissulyna » 13 Nov 2007, 20:58

I never had constipation and I still manage to get a fissure :(. But, I am exception here. Most people do have it. My problem is now that since I have to make my BMs ULTRA soft, I also have to take stool softeners - and guess what - I go now 4-5 times a day - imagine that "fun" !!!! Before fissure I went twice a day, morning and night. I use mineral oil, and ltlte bit of Milk of Magnesia 2x a day - at noon and before I go to sleep. I take 1 TBSP of mineral oil and 1 tsp of MOM.
Hope it helps...Oh, yes , I also take glass of Metamucil before dinner.
:arwen: :^?<:
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 14 Nov 2007, 08:02

I take 1200 mg of Magnesium glycinate. It is made my KAL neutroceuticals. I take it late in the afternoon. My sister in law is a naturapathic doctor and she told me it would help relax the sphincter to help me go and avoid constipation.

My fissure is healed but I still have a worrisome skin tag and I have preexisting nerve damage that causes rectal pain from childbirth that has been going on for 5 years. It is better but still compromises my lifestyle and bathroom habits.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 14 Nov 2007, 08:08

You really should be going every day, but that is easy for me to say, isn't it.
The longer your stools sit there in your colon, the harder they get and the more pain you are going to have when you do go...
Deleted User 5

Postby motherluch » 14 Nov 2007, 08:13

Lecia,
So you take 1/2 of the 17 gram dose of Miralax in the morning, 3 aloe vera capsules what kind and at what time?? And what time do you take the 1200 mg of magnesium? Do you take it all at once and how many pills is that? And, last but not least, what time and what brand of the flax seed pills?
I am asking you all of the details because it really seems to be working for you, maybe it would work for me too!! Are you on any special diet as well? Did you always have a problem with constipation before starting this regime?
THANKS AGAIN!!
I am glad to hear you are healed!!
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 14 Nov 2007, 08:45

Hi,
I take the half a dose of miralax in the am.
1 aloe vera pill (I just get the GNC kind) in the morning, 1 in the afternoon, and 1 at night
I take 8 Fisol (fish oil) capsules in the morning
I take all three mag pills in the afternoon at the same time
I take 4 flax seed oil capsules in the afternoon(I don't have a favorite brand here, I just try to find something organic)
I take 1 Natrol Biobead probiotics capsule in the afternoon
I take 1/2 a dose of Milk of Magnesia around 7 pm.

Now, you may not need to do all of these things all together. I am trying to counteract the constipation that is caused by some of the meds I take for my nerve problem and I have diminished function in my rectal nerves from childbirth so I am not really a good model for an average person. But it works for me and my situation.

I have had problems with constipation since my last daughter was born and during pregnancy but I never gave going to the bathroom a second thought until 5 years ago.

I am a vegetarian too. I eat All bran Buds for breakfast with soy milk and that really seems to help with constipation too.

Postby buttgirl » 14 Nov 2007, 10:43

When I first got this thing, I used to take 2Tablespoons of Milk of Magnesia per night. that kept thing super super soft for me and also kept me on a daily schedule--I was an everyday/every other day bmer. After the abscess surgery, I became a 2X a day bmer, for some reason I cant figure out.

Now that I am mostly healed, I take 3 Tablespoons of Mineral oil each night. It is an emolient laxative--a fat that can't be absorbed by the intestines, so it just mixes with the stool. Your dr can also prescribe something called lactulose, which is sugar based but, like splenda, can't be absorbed by the intestines.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby buttgirl » 14 Nov 2007, 10:43

Oh. and Miralax didn't work for me. made my hemmies flare.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67