LIS yesterday evening...a couple of questions...

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS yesterday evening...a couple of questions...

Postby Bajan » 30 Nov 2012, 08:40

HI...
I finally had LIS surgery yesterday at about 5pm...slept very well after two Percocet at about 11pm.
Can anyone tell me when to expect the first 'bm' after goint through the cleanout medication before the operation. I have had very mild urges to go, but am very (very) reluctant to hurry things up at all.
I understand completely that rest is of great importance here, but can anyone advise of average time of recovery when I will be able to return to work...
Very happy this is over with and hoping each day will see some type of improvement.
Thanks for listening...
Steve
Bajan
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: LIS yesterday evening...a couple of questions...

Postby TonyStone » 02 Dec 2012, 07:35

I was worried too but my first BM was not that bad, I tried to take as little of the pain medicine as needed, just in case you dont know, Percocet and others can cause constipation. I keep taking Miralax for about 2 months and slowly tappered down the amount til I was off of it. I did it slowly in case there was pain pooping, I would know to increase my dose back up.
Everyone is different, but it will get better.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Re: LIS yesterday evening...a couple of questions...

Postby Sorew5 » 03 Dec 2012, 06:18

Going back to work is different for everyone. I would say minimum one week off work but if possible try for 2 or even 3. Just see how you feel. You might be ready within a week but don't push yourself and end up with a setback.
My first bm took 3 full days probably due to general. I wish I had gone sooner so don't hold off in fear. I am sure stress makes you constipated so just relax! Take painkillers about an hour before going and possibly have something soft and fibrous. Maybe some lactulose or sorbitol to help you along your way and LOTS of water. I even took it to the toilet with me and kept drinking it! Remember try not to push..
Sorew5
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2