Done with the surgery, Onto recovery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Done with the surgery, Onto recovery

Postby small_flower » 15 Feb 2007, 16:04

Hey folks,
Well, its all over, and I dont know if i really feel like posting the whole shibang up here right now, but I wanted to let you all know that I am okay. Really the worst part was coming home, because I told the nurses I didnt need anything for pain because I felt none! They had used a local anesthesia in addition to the general. Big mistake. That started to wear off, and so my dad drove me home, I got into bed, and then I had to wait for him to go out and come back with my medicine. We live in a fairly remote area, so any pharmacy is half an hour away.
They put me on oxycodone, which I am not sure about really. I took one, and it decreased the pain, but didnt get rid of it. Each time Ive taken it, I've broken out into sweats and got realllllly dizzy. I think these are normal reactions to the medication, but taking it on an empty stomach probably didnt help.
So I've been sleeping a lot today, because I cant do much of anything else. I just had 2 pieces of wheat toast with strawberry jam, and thought I would catch you guys up on my progress.
Yes, I am going to need you guys a lot throughout the next few days. I am glad that I found this place, incredibly thankful, and I hope that my butt gets better really soon. Right now it feels like there is something pinching up there, a constant pinching, but...thats all. I hope to improve with every day, and I NEED to keep up with my diet. No BM yet, I dont expect to have one today. I cant imagine how painful that would be.
As for the laxatives part of this, they prescribed colace and milk of magnesia...so I dont really know...but that may be less severe than what you had to deal with Cheryl. I am to be sitzing 3 times a day, and other than that, I am just going to hang out, read my james patterson book, sleep, and enjoy the company of my furry felines when they choose to visit.
Thanks to all of you for your ongoing support. It means a lot to me.
Sore-ass kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Re: Done with the surgery, Onto recovery

Postby Deleted User 5 » 15 Feb 2007, 21:31

You did it it Image Image ...the scary part is over Image :cheer: Image :cheer: Image :cheer:
There's about to be one less anal fissure in the world!!! Image
I am so proud and relived for you!! Reading your post, there's not much to add except watch the "anal"-gesic and just take what you feel you need, keep up the water/fiber and keep us posted.
Your butt is going to feel REALLY weird the next few days, sore more than painful, and slowly that old healing itch will set in!! (I used talcum powder for that but others on the board have great ways to deal with it, too).
Get some solid rest for the next 2-3 days then start pushing yourself a little more every day. That's how I recovered from both my appendectomy and LIS -- I didn't allow myself to atrophy too much.
I doubt your first BM will be anything to fret over. Other than myself, most everyone else on this board was shocked at how easy their first BM was. I think I constipated myself because I had a whole suite of painkillers in just two days.
One reason I did was because I had a reaction to the Percocet (this was after the dilaudad) so I was given morphine. At home I was prescribed mepargan and I probably overdid it with those, too. I bring this up because you may have a reaction to the oxycodone, BE CAREFUL!!
Now, GET SOME REST!
Hugh Image
Deleted User 5

Postby Cheryl » 16 Feb 2007, 03:46

:cheer: Image :bouncy: Hip Hip hooray for Kate, im soooo glad you are ok - and have jumped on to let us know how you went...
I am so proud of you, I know how scary it is, but believe me, as Hugh said, the worst is over now...
all you have to do is concentrate on resting, maintaining a good diet and not stressing out about anything.
Sounds like you are going pretty good so far, that pinching sounds normal.. only thing id suggest is take a warm salt bath after every BM, or even more often just to keep clean and sooth your sore bum... I found it really helpful... Image hmm i havent had a bath for so long... must do that tonight... get some relaxing into me :bom:
Be careful with painkillers, some can constipate you - providing you control that diet well and use the colace etc, your first BM should be a piece of cake... my was!
I dont think laxatives are necessary, but go with what works for you.. trial and error is the best way to work it all out.
Well I am pleased you are home. Get stuck into your book, take a warm bath, watch a 'happy' video and rest up..
cant wait to hear from you tomorrow Kate XOXOX
Cheryl :D
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby happyass » 16 Feb 2007, 17:00

congrats Kate!
:bouncy: :hi: Image :albino: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:
best on your recovery......
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 16 Feb 2007, 22:08

well done u. i think ur very brave for going thru it all and i hope the recovery goes well from here. im terrified to have surgery so i really think its great that u did do it and i hope u get lots of benefits from it soon.
xx