New to forum

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to forum

Postby BellaAyla » 04 Dec 2012, 00:13

Thought I was having a "rhoid" flare, but after 4 weeks realized it was way bigger. Finally got the mirror out last week and noticed a small lesion on my perineum. Found fissures by searching the internet and found you guys. I've a high threshold for pain, but this had me crawling out of my skin and climbing the walls with the itching and pain. After trying every cream, ointment and suppository on the market, I read numerous posts and changed courses this weekend. First, I ditched toilet paper and used only non-fragranced baby wipes even if I only went #1. I cleaned by patting/pressing the wipes up b/c to wipe hurt too bad. Second, I started sitz baths with Epsom salts in water as warm as tolerated which was terrific instant relief. Third, I began to apply coconut oil (it melts the moment you put your hands into it) to my bottom each and every time I went #1 and #2 -- so numerous times per day. I wore sanitary pads to protect clothing. Fourth, took Advil and even some Flexiril so I could finally sleep and relax. Finally, I began to take psyllium every day to bulk/soften my stool (I have IBS so I go TOO loose/often but psyllium works on both constipation and diarrhea like a charm which I know but am lazy about since it's not the easiest thing to get down).
I have to say that the combo of baths, baby wipes and generous/frequent lubing with the oil and psyllium brought me my first real relief.
Today, I had an appt w/an "anus" doc who prescribed diltiazem ointment which is thick/jelly like vaseline almost. I used a q-tip to apply it. My prescription says put around the anus but my doctor said "it doesn't have to go inside the anus, but if you can tolerate it you can put a little inside." He also gave me lidocaine for pain but honestly after my weekend w/psyllium, coconut oil and frequent sitz/cleansings my pain has gone from off-the-charts to tolerable so I'm not sure I need the lidocaine so will use "as needed."
I hope this information helps someone. I've never encountered such pain/itching as I have the last 2-4 weeks. I go back to doc for follow up in about 6 weeks. Hoping being diligent w/sitz baths, babywipes, regularity (actually drinking down my psyllium) and increased cooked vegetables will continue to help me heal in conjunction with the doc's cream. Good luck to all b/c this is a terrible condition!
BellaAyla
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: New to forum

Postby BellaAyla » 04 Dec 2012, 00:33

I should have said for clarity's sake, I was diagnosed by the doc today with a fissure but not the one's I could see with my mirror. The fissure causing the drama is located on the cusp of the exterior/interior region of the anus and has been joined in the "party" by a thing the doc referred to as a sentinel pile/skin tag (somewhat different from a hemorroid) which is this extremely inflamed, pink lump caused by the fissure and the source of the throbbing pain I know you are all probably familiar with. There is just so much here - hard to share - but important info.
BellaAyla
Fibre Addict

Postby owmybum » 04 Dec 2012, 04:19

Hi bella.... Sorry you are here.... But welcome to the forum!
I am glad to hear you have found a good routine to minimise your discomfort... There are lots on here who swear by coconut oil.
OMB xx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby cherylk » 04 Dec 2012, 07:10

Bella,
Thank you for sharing your experience and welcome. I also have IBS.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby marg6043 » 04 Dec 2012, 17:10

Hey, thanks for sharing I am also new here after searching for answers for my discomfort that was way worst than regular hemroid flares.
I have the nitro cream, sitz bads, ointments as I also have the IBS but I tell you, after three months of pain two weeks of blessing and this morning I reopen the fissure that was already sore again, It was hell, Image back again to the lube and waiting for some coconut and Vitamin E suppositories because I am tired of using the hemroid ones and waiting until next Feb appt.
I have learn that when this thing flares I will try anything to stop the pain. :( Hang in there.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby BellaAyla » 04 Dec 2012, 20:21

Thanks, everybody. HATE that we've all found ourselves here but very grateful for all the personal experiences and info people have shared about what worked for them. I'm willing to try darn near anything to get this thing healed AND to avoid surgery. I'll check back in a few weeks to say if this medicine worked or not. Best to all!
BellaAyla
Fibre Addict