Never ending anal abscess.

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Never ending anal abscess.

Postby thefer74 » 10 Dec 2012, 20:30

Hi
I am scheduled for surgery next Wed. I seriously was having 2nd doubts about it and thought about canceling it. Then on Saturday night, the pain increased severly along with the pressure, I started sweating and was nausea. I also noticed that the bump (abscess) near the anus increased in size and was very painful. I took pain meds and waited it out. Sunday afternoon, It finally started draining through a tiny pin hole behind the fissure. The dr couldn't find a fistula on exam but we suspect there is one. Why is this happening? I get a couple good days and then the pain shots up and abscess is back.
I am very nervous about surgery as I won't know what he will do until he can do a better exam. We know that he will fix the fissure, remove hemorrhoids, and possibly a seton if there is a fistula. My concern is that if he fixes the fissure, I will still have to deal with the abscess draining and those are painful. Would a seton drain the abscess?
I hate waking up not knowing what they did. Did anyone have IV sedation with it?
I can't believe that I am doing this. Like I really have a choice at this point because of the abscess.
thanks
Jennifer
thefer74
Salt Bather

Topics: 22

Re: Never ending anal abscess.

Postby richibeno » 11 Dec 2012, 17:16

Hi Jen
If you have an abscess there is about a 50% chance of getting a fistula '
When the abscess has drained and settled ,the surgeon can lay it open or put in seton to help drain or keep the fistula track open to stop the abscess forming again' if you have a fistula where your fissure is I may be superficial and shallow which is an easy lay open op.
Keep it as clean as you can keep yours bums soft drink loads of water
Good luck
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28