One week after botox surgery for anal fissures

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

One week after botox surgery for anal fissures

Postby Ouch!!! » 21 Dec 2012, 17:16

Hi, so im new to this discussion board thing. However all your post really helped me throughout my year from hell. I first started with hemorrhoids when I was fifteen, usually they would go away with the normal creams. Last February I had an hemorrhoidectomy, most of my hemorrhoids were on the outside and very painful. I was so excited to finally get some relief. Unfortunately for me I wound up with anal fissures. Two months after surgery the doctor told me I was still healing and it would take time. So a few months later I went to a different surgeon and talked to him about my stabbing glass pain. He instantly said it was an anal fissure. He gave me the diltaziam (spelling?) cream to try. Two moths later no relief. I went back in and the surgeon said I needed LIS surgery. I said ok then went home to google it. And after reading that I could be pooping my pants the rest of my life, (im only 23) I decided absolutely NOT! I then found the botox treatment and decided to see a different surgeon who specialized in colon-rectal. I found one that specialized in the botox. A week before the teatment I ended up getting another fissure. So again I got my hopes up that this surgery would be the one to fix me. He did the botox shots and removed the leftover skin tags from my hemorrhoids. I woke up with little to no pain due to the numbing shots hey gave my hiney. However when I got home it of course wore off. I hesitantly took the percocet because I knew I would get constipated. So I decided to take a laxative with it. This made my belly upset and I got diarrhea, but I was also constipated. So I decided to stop taking pain meds and only take stool softeners twice a day. I also eat fiber one cereal once a day. It is now day eight after surgery and I am still having diarrhea, but I am also very constipated. It feels like the bm is still stuck in my rectum. Im trying very hard not to push, but the waste that is still stuck in me leaves alot of pressure and pain. The glass pain has subsided a lot since surgery but tends to come back a little every time I try to have a BM. Has anyone had a similar problem? Any answers would be very helpful. How long does this pressure pain last?
Ouch!!!

Topics: 1

Re: One week after botox surgery for anal fissures

Postby Fernie1 » 23 Dec 2012, 21:22

Well I never had Botox but I did have an LIS done and when I started taking Percocet I got terribly constipated! I too took a laxative only to find I had constipation along with diarrhea! My morning bm was hard as rocks and then I would have the diarrhea by mid day. It was the strangest thing in the world! And I know what u mean by the pressure in ur bum! I always felt my bowels weren't completely empty and that made me feel like my rectum was never at rest. Just be careful with Percocet. I know once I stopped taking Percocet my bm's improved. Now I take Miralax to soften stools and no pain killers because I become easily constipated. Maybe you can try Miralax? Hope you can figure things out. I know it took a while for me. Feel better real soon and keep us updated. Hang in there!
Fernie1
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Ouch!!! » 27 Dec 2012, 21:03

It's currently two weeks post Botox and my bm's are slightly improving. I haven't taken any pain killers since the second day after surgery. I still have the cutting glass pain when going to the bathroom but it's not as bad as before surgery. I also still feel like im not emptying myself after going to the bathroom. I got for my follow up appt tomorrow. Fernie1 did the LIS surgery work for you? How long has it been since surgery? And do you mind if I ask if you have had any kind of incontinence? Thanks for all your help!!!
Ouch!!!

Topics: 1

Postby Fernie1 » 28 Dec 2012, 00:37

HeyOuch glad things are a little better. And I don't mind answering any questions this is what we are here for to help each other out. This forum is a God send. So my LIS was on 6/18/12 and it was unsuccessful but please don't let my bad experience influence you since LIS is 95% effective. Still have fissure pain plus now unhealed LIS cut pain. Never experienced incontinence in fact my sphincter is too tight. About 3 weeks ago I was prescribed nitro ointment. Hope it works . Now its just a waiting game. I hope all goes well with your. appointment tomorrow
Fernie1
Salt Bather

Postby Fernie1 » 28 Dec 2012, 00:39

Wishing u a speedy recovery :)
Fernie1
Salt Bather

Postby owmybum » 28 Dec 2012, 02:56

Fernie, so sorry you are still suffering and your lis didn't work for you... That must be so disheartening for you. Maybe the cut was too conservative? What do they say went wrong?
Hope the. Nitro kicks in soon to give you some sort of relief.
OMB xxxxxxx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Fernie1 » 29 Dec 2012, 02:34

Hi Omb thanks for your kind words. The very truth is I was terribly hearbroken when I was told my LIS was a failure. After I was told the news I asked why LIS did not work and I was told "nothing is a100% and you fell in the 5% where LIS did not work". Since then I have seen two other CRS that have told me the same response when I ask why LIS was a failure. The two other CRS have said LIS was performed correctly. Since that news I was given valium and nefedipine with no results..now nitro. On Jan 2 I have a colonoscopy scheduled. I am so scared fissures will tear even further with all the yucky Golytely they make you take that makes you poop liquid about 20 times. Plus two enemas. Image Now I just pray I can endure this new colonoscopy trial. Takes me weeks to gain back my "new normal"wonder if I will ever feel what its like to have a normal bum..its been so long I've forgotten the feeling.
Fernie1
Salt Bather

Postby owmybum » 29 Dec 2012, 02:50

Oh Fernie, I can't imagine how let down and fed up you must feel by it all.....at least they are doing tests to see what is going on down there. Unfortunately they are a necessary evil we have to endure if we ever have some hope of finally beating this thing!
I am still suffering from my proctogram I had done at the begining of dec. it was the barium I had to drink that pooped out like a brick for nearly a week..... Give me liquid poop over that one any day!!!
Bring a big jar of Vaseline with you and insist on using it to protect against any more damage if things are going to be liquid and stingy.
Pls let us know how you get on
OMB xxxx
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

at Omb

Postby Fernie1 » 29 Dec 2012, 10:13

Image Thank you Omb! I remember your proctogram experience and on top of that what happened with your sister. I got so teary eyed. There is absolutely nothing positive to gain from AF but all these trials must be making us stronger and more patient individuals! I love this forum because even though I have the kindest family supporting me I know I can also find strength and encouraging words from individuals in this forum who know exactly what I'm going through. By the way thanks for the vaseline tip..little jar will be with me at all times. And hope and pray you getback your "new normal" soon from the procto/barium experiennce. I know it takes weeks. Will keepyou posted with my colonoscopy results OMB. Image Image
Fernie1
Salt Bather

Postby owmybum » 30 Dec 2012, 11:11

Thanks Fernie.... Try not to worry about it too much..... I know, easier said than done!!
I have my next test... An anal physiology test on the 7th jan but am trying not to think about it yet!!
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum