Seeing crs that does anal dilitation

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Seeing crs that does anal dilitation

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 08 Jan 2013, 21:59

I decided to have LIS instead of SAD (and I am VERY happy with my decision); however, when I was trying to decide between LIS and SAD, I emailed Dr. Leiboff's office and he responded to me personally - the same day! I can't speak for his bedside manner, but I can say that he answered all of my questions, which thoroughly impressed me.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Badd825 » 09 Jan 2013, 06:19

Hi tfckmb. I'm glad to hear he took the time to answer your questions. I'm looking for knowledge and skill. I can get warm and fuzzy from my dog. I'm more concerned with being rushed and not having my questions answered. That has been my experience to date. Do you mind sharing why you chose LIS over SAD. I have LIS scheduled for the 28th but I'm hoping to cancel that appt and hopefully be a candidate for SAD. Thank God for this site!
Badd825
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 09 Jan 2013, 06:52

The main reason I chose LIS over SAD was because of the published success rate of the two procedures - high 90's for LIS (99%+ in my CRS's practice) vs. mid-to-upper 80's for SAD. I wanted my best shot at success and LIS provided that. Plus, I wasn't concerned at all about the tiny incision needed for LIS. In addition, I am in the lowest risk category for incontinence (young, male).
The fact is: LIS is the gold standard for chronic anal fissures, not because most CRS's perform them, but because their success rate is much higher (which is why most CRS's perform them, in my opinion). Of course, if you are in a high risk category for incontinence, you may want to at least consider SAD.
Whichever way you decide to go, I hope you find relief! Anal fissures suck.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Badd825 » 09 Jan 2013, 15:29

I'm so happy that you had a positive experience. I was incontinent to gas following Botox injection. This was the only purpose Botox served. It did not heal me or reduce my pain. I hope the risk is lower with SAD. I also had hemorrhoidectomy in August and don't relish the thought of cutting anything. I'm prepared to do LIS if this is my only resort but I'm hoping for a non surgical option. I've read Davo's post about his LIS experience which I know was a very positive one. If I'm not a candidate for SAD, I will be rereading his post as I need encouragement not nightmare horror stories. Who is your CRS with a success rate of 99% it might be worth looking into. I hope healing for all
Badd825
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby jr2 » 09 Jan 2013, 16:45

Badd,
Another thing to keep in mind is that if the SAD doesn't work the first time it can safely be repeated. In the research on SAD, if you include data on the individuals who had it repeated a second time when the first one failed, the success rate equals that of LIS in the 95% success rate.
Looking forward to following along in your journey.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
YAY!!!!!... Sooooooo happy you are healed!
jr2

Topics: 15