Manuka Honey

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Manuka Honey

Postby busybird » 15 Feb 2012, 14:21

3 weeks, 1 day post botox and doing ok!
Call this weird but certainly worth a try.
Manuka honey on your butt!! :D
(and on your toast if you like, just make sure you dont use the same spoon Image )
I havent tried this yet but Manuka honey has really good healing properties. (Its gotta be the good stuff though, costs about Ј20-25 a jar from health food shops)
My mother-in-law suggested it just a min ago on the phone. She used it on her op scar which was really nasty, it healed up a treat.
I'm gonna get some 2morrow and slap some on - will let you know how it goes!
busybird
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Manuka Honey

Postby workingonit » 15 Feb 2012, 14:51

There's another member just posted that she was going to try this too, electricjaws.
Please do let us know.
I know I've had a some success with lanolin, which also has antibaterial and protective properties. It seems to me IMO, that some fissures need that extra bit of protection to heal.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Guest » 15 Feb 2012, 15:19

I've used manuka honey on my fissures... Just be warned that for most people it does sting at first, for some people it is pretty intense stinging. It usually subsides in about 15 minutes. I also have a product called Medihoney, which is actually pharmaceutical grade and sterilized so it's specifically made for chronic wound healing. Another product I am loving right now is Bee Magic, which has honey, beeswax, olive oil, bee propolis, and royal jelly. Good luck with your honey experiment!

Postby busybird » 15 Feb 2012, 17:21

So jr2, do you think it is worth me getting any Manuka Honey? Did it/does it promote your fissure healing?
busybird
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Guest » 15 Feb 2012, 18:43

busybird
it's really tough to advise on things like this because everyone is so different in the way they respond to things. Over the years i have suffered with fissures I have found different things and different combinations of things to be helpful in the process of healing, so I never know what it was exactly that led to success for any given fissure.
That being said, I am currently finding this product called Bee Magic to be extremely helpful in cutting down on the pain to a great degree, probably more so than any topical i have used for this current bout of severe multiple fissures. I've only used it for about 4 days, so i can't report on healing yet, and it does sting some, but to me the sting is not nearly as intense as the pharmaceutical honey, and is well worth the 10 minutes or so of stinging... So if you want to give a honey product a try to see how you tolerate it first, I would highly recommend starting with this. It has other ingredients in it besides just honey that are healing promoters. If you like it, find some relief with it, and can tolerate it with no skin reaction, you could always step up to manuka next, which does sting more and does require some dedication because it's very messy to use in that area.
It's called Bee Magic and their website is at http://sweetbeemagic.com

Postby half1 » 09 Jan 2013, 12:59

Be careful about this product, not all manuka honey is the same.. Midihoney is a genuine honey and made in New Zealand where the manuka trees are, there are a lot of fakes out there trying to cash in. Google 'manuka honey grades' and have a read
half1
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3