New to forum - hello

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to forum - hello

Postby Chelle16 » 30 Dec 2012, 13:35

Hello all! I've been reading posts in here for several weeks now and have finally registered! It is so nice to know I am not alone.
I had an AF develop after complications with constipation and diarrhoea post child birth. I suffered horrendous, crippling pain for 6 weeks before I saw a surgeon. I had been on rectogesic three times daily for this period of time - with no relief. The surgeon said I had such high muscle tone & my butt was in constant spasm that she felt it would not heal without surgery.
I was scared of becoming incontinent but the pain was ruining my life & I could tell my depression was returning. I had LIS on November 23rd 2012. Tha pain in the 48hrs post op was incredible!!! Over the next two weeks I had little relief. I was still painful 24hrs a day, with very painful BM. Then I slowly started to get minor relief. I saw the surgeon 3 weeks post op and she said the AF had started to heal & there was less spasming.
It has been 5 weeks since the surgery and the last 3 days the pain is getting worse again :-(. I have sharp stabbing pain with BM and an ache for hours afterwards. I also have bleeding with each BM. I cannot sit for long periods of time and driving is difficult.
I am so worried this is never going to heal. I find it difficult to talk with others because no one seems to quite understand. I see the surgeon again on Jan 22nd 2013.
I have soft stools (mainly because the anxiety of it all gives me diarrhoea) but the surgeon said I need to firm my stools to create stretch and better scar tissue. I am taking paracetamol (does nothing though), hot salt baths and rectogesic.
Cannot see an end in sight and just want my life back so I can enjoy my 3 month old daughter!!!!
Chelle.
Chelle16
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: New to forum - hello

Postby Lauren12 » 30 Dec 2012, 16:56

Hi Chelle
Welcome to the forum. You poor thing, having a baby to look after at the same time as experiencing fissure pain and then surgery. I hope you have lots of family support.
It took me eight to nine months to completely recover from the LIS op. I'd read accounts of people who'd recovered in a matter of days or weeks and wondered what was wrong with me. However nothing was wrong with me, the operation was a success, it's just that I took longer to heal. During the healing period, there were many setbacks when the pain got worse again and I feared all sorts of things but this doesn't necessarily mean that things aren't progressing well. For instance, scar tissue from the incision site can take a few months before it ceases to be raised, thus potentially contributing to irritation with bowel movements in the early days. Also there's some swelling from the surgery for a while too, which again can make it uncomfortable once a bowel movement's passed. If you're constantly having diarrhoea, it may be that you occasionally form minor fissures. As you've had the LIS op however, these will heal. In the early days, I was constantly forming minor fissures with bowel movements - the muscle tone is reduced with surgery, but I think it takes a while for the muscle to relax more. After all, if a muscle's constantly exercised, as it is with spasm, the muscle tone increases. When the constant exercising of it stops, with the LIS, the tone then starts to decrease. I still had relatively high muscle tone in the early days, and formed minor fissures with each bowel movement. However the CRS said that as I'd had the LIS, I wouldn't form any more major fissures and eventually, I wouldn't form minor fissures either, and this proved to be the case. He said that the anus is a complex mechanism, and it can take a while for it to settle down again once something disrupts it, like a fissure or surgery. Diarrhoea too is irritating to the anus, as I'm sure you know, so if you can get your stools firmer, perhaps by tweaking your diet, it would be good. I know it's difficult though if you're anxious.
As regards painkillers, can you not ask the GP for more powerful prescription painkillers? I don't know if you're breastfeeding, but if you are, this may be a problem if it's passed on in breast milk. When I was recovering from the LIS, I was taking both paracetamol and Diclofenac, which is a prescription NSAID. You'd want to avoid Codeine or any other opiate containing painkiller as they tend to be constipating, which isn't good when recovering from this kind of surgery, but there are stronger painkillers than paracetemol that can be taken in conjunction with it. A word about Diclofenac however. I was taking it very long term - during the time I had the fissure and post operatively as well. I was careful to always take it on a full stomach but despite this, it eventually started having an effect on my stomach making me feel queasy and I had to stop taking it. Luckily by that point I didn't need it any more. However I can't even take over-the-counter Ibuprofen now as it makes my stomach queasy, so can no longer take the NSAID class of painkillers. However you probably wouldn't need it for that long as you're healing - and there are other types of stronger painkillers, as long as they don't have an effect on breast milk, if that's a consideration.
Don't be too down - setbacks don't mean that you're not progressing to a cure. Sometimes in the appointments I had with my CRS post surgery, he had to reassure me "You ARE cured" because I couldn't believe it because of what I was still experiencing. But he was right. Eight or nine months post surgery everything became normal.
You could try to contact your surgeon if you're in a great deal of pain and want her to look at you and get her input. They may be able to give you an earlier appointment. You mention blood with bowel movements. I never had a great deal of bleeding with my fissure, so couldn't comment on that, although I know that other people do get blood. If this is something you're worried about, why not contact the surgeon? The hospital may have given you contact details or if not, it seems possible to search for most surgeons on line and get their work contact details or those of their secretary.
All the best and let us know how things go. Image
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Chelle16 » 31 Dec 2012, 15:57

Hello to Lauren12,
Thankyou for replying! It gives me some hope to know that it took you at least 8 months before you were feeling normal. It has been hard with a baby - especially as she has reflux and is often hard to settle.
I am going to contact my surgeon next week for an earlier appointment - unfortunately they are closed over this New Year period. I am unable to take NSAIDs; even simple ibuprofen upsets my stomach and gives me diarrhoea.
I started taking a fibre supplement 2 weeks ago in an attempt to firm up my stools. So far it's not working. I've increased the amount gradually and will do so again. I eat pretty well - fruits, veggies, wholemeal bread/grains, beans & tofu. Don't know why else to do in that department!
I do have to remind myself that the pain is not as bad as before the surgery. It's the setbacks that worry me. But I'll try and tell myself it's still early days and it doesn't mean I'm not healing. I think I'll ask to see my surgeon more frequently - I think this may put my kind at ease and hopefully lessen my anxiety.
Thankyou again.
Chelle16
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 1775 » 31 Dec 2012, 19:22

Chelle, it's been almost 3 months after Lis surgery for me. I have been dealing with my fissure for 3 years before I finally decided on the surgery. My doctor told me my fissure is healed but I still experience some soreness and have a little bit of drainage. And have random blood. It is less painful but I am still aware of my butt. I am praying that it will go away soon and I can have a normal life. I wonder why some people on this forum heal fast and feel better right away and others like us have a hard time. I worry like you if i will never feel good again or will need a second surgery. I feel so bad for you that you have to take care of a baby and deal with this. If you have any question please feel free to ask and vice of versa. Take care and don't give up.
Jen
Deleted User 1775

Postby Chelle16 » 03 Jan 2013, 10:49

Hi Jen,
Thank you for replying. It made me cry just knowing that there are other people out there who know what I'm going through. And it has been very hard having a baby to look after! I had no rest after the surgery, except for one day when my husband was off work.
I'm so sorry you've had your fissure for years. Are you glad you had the surgery? And do you have any pain free moments now? It doesn't seem fair that we take longer to heal!! My surgeon said its because I have a higher muscle tone in my butt than most people.
I hope that you continue to improve!!
Chelle
Chelle16
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 1775 » 05 Jan 2013, 12:46

Chelle, I don't know yet if I regret the surgery. Yesterday and today have been bad with the burning pain. I thought I was doing a bit better and then it hits again. I don't know what else to do. The surgery did help with going to the bathroom but then I get set backs. I know some people take more time but I can't take it anymore. Did your doctor give you a time frame of when you should start healing? If you have questions for me I am glad to help. Hope your days have been better.
Deleted User 1775

Postby Chelle16 » 05 Jan 2013, 19:40

Hi Jen,
I'm so sorry that you're having such a bad time! :-( Sometimes it all seems so unfair doesn't it. If it wasn't for my baby there would be some days when I wouldn't get out of bed.
My surgeon said she has had a few patients that have taken 6 months to be pain free. She suspects I'm in that category because my pain was so severe to begin with, and because of my high muscle tone and sphincter spasm.
I get mild relief from a hot water bath - but only when I'm sitting in it. I can only stomach paracetamol - and that usually does nothing. Does anything bring you any kind of relief?
Today is a bad day. Yesterday was better, in that I was not conscious of my bum for the whole 24 hour day!
I am grateful for any amount of relief and tell myself that things could me much worse - I know it doesn't always seem that way though when you're the one dealing with it. I hope you have people in your life that can offer you support. It's hard when they don't know the pain though. You can always talk to me!
Stay in touch, Chelle.
Chelle16
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 1775 » 20 Jan 2013, 12:11

Hi Chelle, just wondering how you are doing? I am seeing a new Crs in about a month maybe she can fix my never ending butt problem. Hope you are doing better and enjoying your new baby.
Deleted User 1775

Postby Chelle16 » 20 Jan 2013, 21:43

Hi Jen,
I'll have everything crossed for you when you go and see the new CRS!! Have you been having more bad or good days lately??
I was going along ok - bearable pain with tingling/discomfort in the evenings. Then two weekends ago I developed an abscess near the fissure site. Intensely painful all over again. My local GP drained some discharge, being a Saturday I could not see the surgeon. I did get an appt with her on the Monday - by then the abscess had decreased a little in size. She explained at that point that the surgery would be more traumatic and sometimes abscesses resolve themselves...so I've been putting up with the pain (what's new?!) and having salt + tea tree oil baths 2 - 3 times daily. It has dramatically reduced.
BUT....now my 11 o'clock fissure has reopened. I also have one at 6 o,clock that is taking much longer to heal. I feel like I am almost at the point I was prior to the surgery.
So, I am dealing with the intense pain again - like sitting on a knife. Going to the loo is not as painful as before the surgery. I just feel like this will never end - probably much like you. My baby girl is now 4 and 1/2 months old - her smile does make it all worthwhile. And I am grateful I have that.
I wish I could take your pain away too! I hope you're coping ok. It just plain sucks, doesn't it??!!
Chelle
Chelle16
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 1775 » 21 Jan 2013, 19:32

Hi chelle, I am so sorry you are going through this. I am having better days. Still get blood maybe once a week. My problem is I can't workout or even walk a long time. Lifting is out of the question. It has been more of a irritation and a few zingers throughout the day. I have been using coconut oil 3 times a day as a topical. It is very soothing. I don't know if you can use it now due to the abscess. It is a day by day thing. I still get nervous going to the bathroom. Maybe one day I won't think twice. Take care and god bless.
Deleted User 1775