Back to square one!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Back to square one!

Postby BartonBendish » 22 Jan 2013, 03:03

Finished May last year with antibiotics and diarrhoea just before embarking on a 100 mile charity bike ride! Day after the ride was fine but gradually noted watery blood in the toilet and a full feeling after a BM. Anusol, Preparation X and any other pile cream I could find didn't cure it and after a 2000mile camper van trip in France in the Summer, I was ready to visit "Goldfinger" and sort things out !! (I'm a bloke of 50, sensitive and in good health, keen mountain biker! and was not relishing the thought of the examination) Anyway, after an unpleasant examination (for both of us I would think!) I knew at last what it was, an anal fissure and the Rectagesic cream was prescribed and explained. After a couple of days of acute headaches and feeling it wasn't helping I gave up and went back to plenty of water, warm baths and not sitting down too much. Soon realized I had to give it a go again so tried again with the Rectagesic at night and everything mentioned by other people on various websites and keeping off my bike. Improvement was slow and slight bleeding still occurred sometimes but after three tubes of Rectagesic and three months, I cracked it! (Excuse the pun) It was the best Christmas present I had and 7 weeks of normality followed eating what I wanted, not drinking 10 gallons of water a day and I even got back on my bike.
However, a six hour drive in the car last week and a very hard BM when I was in a hurry to get to work and bang, back to square one.........Do I start again, will it ever heal, will my wife put up with me moaning for another three months, how long can you keep taking Rectagesic, any cyclists out there know how I feel? Please cheer me up. BB
BartonBendish

Topics: 1

Re: Back to square one!

Postby owmybum » 22 Jan 2013, 03:36

Hi bartonbendish,
It's so frustrating when this happens isn't it!!
I would just go back to doing what you were... If it worked before there is no reason why it won't work again. I am sure you can still use the rectogesic... Just double check with your dr.
As for cycling....oww... Can you buy those wider comfier seats with gel cushioning?? Exercise is always good for blood flow and healing.
As for your wife... I know what you mean... My poor husband has had to put up with the tears and tantrums for ever.. He must be some sort of saint...or just loves me... Like you wife loves you! Xx
OMB xxx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Re: Back to square one!

Postby PIA » 22 Jan 2013, 03:43

Hi BartonBendish,
I second OMB's wise reply. Thank you for giving us hope that we can beat this and for,reminding us that we need to continue to take care of things for ever after. I am finding it harder and harder to remember things but I hope I remember this lesson. Xx Pia
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4