Holistic medicine?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Holistic medicine?

Postby delasama » 31 Jan 2013, 10:38

does cod liver oil thin the blood? will that be bad for healing fissure? why does fish oils say dont take if you have poblems with bleeding?
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby jr2 » 31 Jan 2013, 11:23

delasama...
it's a good question, but not due to the blood thinning. Fish oil does thin blood, but that isn't the potential problem with wound healing. Fish oil is a potent anti-inflammatory. Wounds actually need to go through an inflammatory phase to heal. If you hinder the inflammatory phase, you might hinder healing. However, that being said, chronic wounds often get "stuck" in the inflammatory phase, and something like fish oil might be beneficial for those kinds of wounds. So, just to speculate a little, I'm thinking any anti-inflammatory would be less helpful in healing an acute fissure, but could be helpful in a chronic one. But I'm just speculating.
jr2

Topics: 15

Holistic medicine

Postby dangading » 31 Jan 2013, 11:43

I read in a book that problems with the anus are connected to guilt over the past. I don't know if that's true but I do think it's a good idea to look at all possibilities. Forgive yourself.
dangading
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby jr2 » 31 Jan 2013, 12:01

dangading..
i agree... also, consider things we might be holding on to and not letting go of.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby ring of fire » 31 Jan 2013, 17:02

The naturopathic doc today was a brief, free meet and greet so I did not get a lot of info from her. She said go gluten free and dairy free. She suggested a full check up with one of the trad docs in the practice so they can see what my vitamin levels etc are. She said she knows of some herbs that may help and suggested accupuncture to increase blood flow. When I asked about slippery elm bark she said the tea is better than a pill. Also mentioned a prescription strenght probiotic that insurance may cover. Seeing her on Tues and will post after.
ring of fire
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby delasama » 31 Jan 2013, 18:26

i just went gluten free yesterday!why dairy free? what does dairy do? i like milk in cereal and activia yogurt :(
delasama
King Fissure

Postby delasama » 31 Jan 2013, 18:28

what kind of herbs did she know?
delasama
King Fissure

Postby ring of fire » 31 Jan 2013, 18:47

Hi delasama! She said gluten and dairy can cause a lot of inflamation in the gut. I will have a hard time giving up gluten but i'm gonna try. Anything is worth the effort if it heals me!
My kids used to be allergic to dairy and so we've experimented with other milk, like rice and coconut milk. I have gotten used to coconut milk --- it took about 4/5 days to adjust to it's flavor and consistency. But, now I like it fine and it has tons of calcium and D. Dairy free yogurt is tougher...soy tastes the best but I don't like to load up on soy.
She didn't tell me which herbs yet. She's saving that for our 1 hr apointment which will cost me $150 Image
ring of fire
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby delasama » 31 Jan 2013, 19:01

i will have to try coconut milk.going gluten free is really good for you and healthy
DON'T eat anything with wheat, caramel color, barley, rye, or oats in it. No beer or vodka.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten
There's a lot of gluten free (gf) blogs, websites and Facebook pages to find good recipes for baked goods like cookies, brownies, and breads. These are normally made with wheat which contains gluten.
Some snacks and meals that are gf and are really good:
Stir fry with whole grain rice and veggies....use gluten free teriyaki sauce
potatoes and sweet potatoes- baked or mashed
Any veggies- fresh, boiled, pan fried using oil or gluten free sauce, baked
Any kind of fruit
Any kind of nuts
Butter and margarine
Veggies and hummus
Rice chex cereal
Wraps- gluten free! Usually can find these at a natural food store with a frozen section
In the wrap we use rice, veggies, beans, sweet potato, avocado, hummus, greens, cucumbers, sprouts, cheddar, pickles
I love ruby red grape fruits
Smoothies- frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, banana and oj in a blender
Salads- use any veggies, cheese and dressings you want. Just NO croutons
Quinoa and veggies
Sandwiches using gluten free bread- gf sandwich bread usually sucks, the bagels are usually better.
Summer rolls- use rice paper/rice wraps, cut up lettuce and veggies and make yourself a wrap
When you feel better there's really good spicy food gf like chili, Thai food, and spicy stir fries
Reese's peanut butter cups are gluten free!
Rice cakes
Breakfast sandwich using gf English muffins. Eggs are gf!
Chips and salsa
delasama
King Fissure

Postby Savaici » 31 Jan 2013, 19:58

Folks, try not to hijack other member's questions. Not fair to them.
For trieditall:
This is a link to a doctor at John Hopkins (Gerard Mullin), who specializes in integrative/holistic medicine. I nearly went to see him last year, but cancelled:
http://www.hopkins-gi.org/BIO/BIO_BioPg.aspx?CurrentUDV=31&User_ID=1189
Hope this will help.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222