New to the forum Uk : question about Rectogesic

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to the forum Uk : question about Rectogesic

Postby Teal30 » 02 Feb 2013, 12:58

Hi all, I'm a 30 year old female recently diagnosed with IBS and fissure with sentinel tag. The tag appeared a few months ago before Xmas without any pain or discomfort. After Xmas and probably a mix of bad food, alcohol the BM became uncomfortable. Like many if you, I thought it was piles and paid for expensive treatments until I finally plucked up the courage to go and see a nurse. She thought it was piles and after suppositories and cream I was advised that when it shrunk to push it back in. I believe this made the fissure worse and I was sent to a doctor for an examination. This was just over a week ago, she prescribed Rectogesic. I am still in a lot of pain a few hours after the BM but the pain is slightly relieved during going. I am using the Rectogesic twice a day before I go to bed and morning. I have a question as to when others apply Rectogesic? As the IBS makes me have to go urgently when I wake up, I usually apply Recto after BM. Would waking up earlier and try applying the cream before a BM work better? Does anyone do this? Image I have also started with ducloeze stool softeners today as I already eat small high fiber meals but thought these may help with the after pain. I have also been using the Dr Wheatgrass cream throughout the day and have had pain free afternoons, this has even helped whilst having to sit for long periods of time: Uni lectures, meetings, desk job etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My heart goes out to everyone dealing with this horrible pain. Thank you
Teal30

Topics: 1

Re: New to the forum Uk : question about Rectogesic

Postby CrackinUp » 02 Feb 2013, 15:30

Hi, I'm also from the UK, have IBS, and of course a fissure. I'm on the same medication and always apply after as IBS makes me rush in the morning.
Someone else on here said they apply 1cm about half an hour before then the rest after a bath. I'd love to give it a try but worried the timing won't go well. Around a minute after I'm vertical I have to RUN or I miss my slot, then it's an absolute nightmare as I have to push.
This thing is not easy with IBS. I'm normally very loose but I had one random hard stool that did the damage. Rotten luck I guess. I'm on a stool softener now just in case that happens again during the next 6 weeks.
6 weeks is 42 poopers and I'm dreading each and every one of them :(
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Teal30 » 02 Feb 2013, 16:10

Thank you for your reply, it's is tricky, I've just been diagnosed with IBS so still at trial and error stage of finding out what foods agree. To be honest I'm scared to eat at the moment, and having the fissure is an extra pain (literally!). Good luck with your road to recovery, I think I may try to get up extra early to try a small amount and see if it can work. Thanks again Image
Teal30

Postby CrackinUp » 03 Feb 2013, 10:30

How did it go? I didn't try that and had one of the least painful BM all week. But then I've had some of the worst spasm pains. Still having them now at nearly 5pm. I just don't get it. I want out! :(
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Teal30 » 03 Feb 2013, 12:15

Didn't get chance unfortunately to try it. Woke at 5.30am as the stool softeners seem to make me go more! Very annoying! I thought I was feeling a bit better today until the stool softener I took this morning made me go more times today than normal so felt it set me back :(
Sorry to hear about the spasms, I can recommend the dr wheatgrass cream as I feel it does help with the spasms during the day. I've just been to a child's party where the only choice of a seat was a hard table!!
. I thought I would be in agony sitting but it was surprisingly fine?! I've decided however not to count my chickens as I'm aware things can go backwards quickly! Good luck with tomorrow.
Teal30

Postby Purple Flower » 12 Feb 2013, 19:25

I'm in the UK as well. IBS sufferer as well. I was told to have fibre (the kind that takes like orange -can't remember the name) and some cream which you keep in the fridge that didn't work. Also Lactulose which works but gives you gas. I've found Savlon healing gel soothed the pain better than the prescription drug.
Purple Flower
Fibre Addict

Postby Davo » 13 Feb 2013, 15:11

Hi Guys,
I am also in the UK
Rectogesic should be applied following a BM on the morning and each evening - The full dose should be applied in one go for maximum effect unless you suffer from the headache side effect.
Use your smallest finger to apply the cream in order to minimise the stretching on your fissure.
Purple Flower,
The orange drink you describe is Fybogel but i found that fairly useless and it tasted like drinking mashed up bran flakes!!!
For best results apply lidocaine gel before a BM as this will numb the pain and act as a lubricant to help the BM glide out more easily.
Rather than Stool softeners or Lactulose try Movicol (which is the UK version of Miralax) - one or two sachets a day will make your BM's come out like toothpaste.
Ohh and too much fibre will give you gas so try an maintain a good balance
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby Purple Flower » 13 Feb 2013, 16:10

Davo,
Thank you for the advice. Since I have to pick up my prescription in the morning I will get Movicol as well. I just cannot stomach the Lactulose any more -it makes me gag!
I was taking some Acacia powder which is a soluble fibre but I am not sure it make any difference. I only took 1 satchet a day because it is fairly expensive.
Purple Flower
Fibre Addict

Postby Davo » 13 Feb 2013, 16:18

Hi,
Just a note that Movicol will not be on the shelf in your local chemist - you have to ask for it at the pharmacy section. It will cost around Ј12 for a 30 sachet box.
It comes in lemon and lime flavour but you can also order it in chocolate which i think tastes like chocolate milk shake.
When i had my fissure I found Movicol to be a life saver!
As for fibre i would normally have bran flakes at breakfast time and a wholemeal bread sandwich for lunch. I also found Tesco finest soups to be great for evening meal (especially the puy lentil variety)
Finally M&S do a pre-packed sun ripened mango - this stuff really does make you regular and i still eat this now (I'm addicted to the stuff)
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby Teal30 » 13 Feb 2013, 16:33

Thank you for your reply Davo, I've been taking fybogel and I've found that too much wheat is making situations worse so I'm struggling to find high fibre foods with no wheat. Ill try the mango, but one question does movicol make you go more frequently, as I found stool softeners caused this? Also what time of day did you take the movicol?
Teal30