Anal Resting Pressure after LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Anal Resting Pressure after LIS

Postby Deleted User 1775 » 04 Feb 2013, 09:58

Sweet bugabo, sorry your having a slower recovery. I think I am in the same boat as you. It will be four months this week with just lis surgery. I have been have soreness and tenderness throughout the day. If I sit to long or stand to long. I even can't workout the way I want. My CRS said my fissure is healed but it sure doesn't feel that way. I also have a little leakage after I go, which I think causes some irritation. I am going to see a new CRS next week and see what she has to say. I do think the surgery helped but I just wish I would heal and not be aware of my butt everyday. Has it been over a year for you? Any tips? How long did you have a fissure? Thanks for listening and hope you recover.
Jd
Deleted User 1775

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 04 Feb 2013, 13:50

Hi, Jd -
Thank you for your comment and well wishes! I wish you the same - a pain-free rear end.
I first felt a fissure almost 5 years' ago. It healed on its own, after I saw the first of many CRS's I would eventually see. He advised a high-fiber diet - which I faithfully did - and the fissure did heal. Problem solved . . . I thought.
Nope. In Oct., 2011, the fissure came back - with a vengeance! I went back to CRS #1, who said he didn't see a thing wrong. I continued to suffer HORRIBLE pain, then saw CRS #2, who said he saw some very small fissures (1 mm in size) - but he said that the "best long-term fix is fiber and time." NOPE! That was Nov. of 2011, and I eventually sought a opinion - from CRS #3 - in Jan. of 2012, who (wisely) said that a chronic fissure won't heal, no matter what creams or ointments were put on it. He suggested a LIS and fissurectomy. I couldn't have the surgery done fast enough - and on Jan. 30th, 2012, I had both procedures done. Everything flattened out, for the most part, but I do have a very small "tag" and tightened area.
It's a long story - but CRS #3 was soon after sent to Afghanistan for military duty - and in the meantime, I had a horrible setback of constipation, in which I had bleeding and was extremely upset about it. So, I found CRS #4, who said that whatever had bled looked alright to him, and he prescribed Valium at night, for spasms. The Valium was a god-send, I tell ya. I still use it, from time to time (like, last night), when I feel spasms.
At any rate, I guess because of my anatomy, I've had a tough time healing. This past Nov. (2012), I thought I had finally, finally healed - I felt pretty darn good . . . only to have pain come back around Thanksgiving. No, it wasn't my diet, because I've been extremely careful. Who knows? - but it felt sore and scraped in there. I went back to CRS #4, who said he didn't see anything and suggested I needed to think about something else. Clearly, whatever pain I felt was not something he could see a reason for. He said my bottom was in the top 10% of bottoms he sees, with regard to things looking good . . . He did say that I have a fat-less bottom and that he could feel bones on me that he can't feel on his other women patients. It's not that they don't have the same bones, but my bottom doesn't have the padding that other people's bottoms do, apparently. Let me point out that when I look at myself in the mirror, my bottom looks fine to me . . . but I'm nowhere near to being anything close to Kim Kardashian, lol.
Anyway, things settled down again, a bit, but I went to see CRS #3, again, to have him check the area and to discuss the pain with him. He said I looked healed and that another surgery wasn't necessary (not that I want another surgery, anyway) -- and he said that, because of my fat-less bottom - INSIDE as well as out - I don't have much tissue there . . . and things down there don't have the comfort level that I might have, if I had a fattier bottom.
Just a few days' ago, I finally thought I was over the big part of the pain - but then yesterday afternoon, things felt sore, again . . . mostly in the little area where I had my surgery. I'm guessing that the scar tissue acts up . . . and I keep hoping things will toughen up. Let's hope.
As to your situation, my advice is to give it time, time, time. There are times when I've sworn I might have a fissure again, but both CRS's #3 and #4 have said they do not see one. --- Also, make sure you ARE thoroughly clean after a BM, because the residue does tend to irritate the tissues, in my experience. Like you, I do believe the surgery was necessary, and I'm glad I had mine - but recovery can vary and take a long time for certain people. Also like you, I still think of my rear end, every day. Yes, it's been over a year - but I know I would still be in miserable agony, my life on hold, if I had not had the surgery.
So, giving yourself time is a must. Also, continue to watch your diet and make sure you have enough fiber and water. I eat Fiber One cereal, every morning, and I drink Konsyl (fiber supplement) at noon. I also eat two pieces of Double Fiber bread, every day.
Your scar tissue might continue to bother you for some time, if your bottom is even remotely like mine. I've thought about having tag and the tight part addressed, but I'm really afraid to have more surgery, if not necessary. Honestly, when I have pain down below now, it mostly feels like soreness around my surgical area - and like I said, I think that's the scar tissue and just lingering tenderness of the area. A few weeks' ago, I did see a few teeny, tiny dots of blood on the tissue, and that scared me -- but I haven't seen it since.
I'll say again, that surgery (for me) was necessary, and I'm glad I had it done - it has made a positive difference - but surgery IS surgery and can take a long while to get past.
Hang in there (that's what I'm still trying to do), and please let me know how you progress, as time goes by. I was sore for months after my surgery - and I still have soreness, from time to time - like last night - and I just have to hope that time will toughen everything. Meanwhile, we'll both need to continue our fiber intake and hope and pray for complete healing.
I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. <3
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby Davo » 04 Feb 2013, 15:14

Hi Sweet,
Ohhh married life is bliss thanks - it's about 11 months post LIS now and i have been pain, blood and fissure free for 10 months and 2 weeks of it :-)
You say that you you have struggled a bit more because you have got a small butt... are you therefore saying i have a fat ass????
Jeez you never change! Anyway great to hear from you again
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 04 Feb 2013, 16:02

Davo wrote:Hi Sweet,
Ohhh married life is bliss thanks - it's about 11 months post LIS now and i have been pain, blood and fissure free for 10 months and 2 weeks of it :-)
You say that you you have struggled a bit more because you have got a small butt... are you therefore saying i have a fat ass????
Jeez you never change! Anyway great to hear from you again
Davo

Hi, Davo! So glad things have been good for you! Life is far too short to have to be miserable from a PITA, right? (There are enough of those in our lives, anyway, right? lol) --- I trust that your Tuscan wedding went off without a hitch, and that you are blissfully hitched. Image
For the most part, I'm doing much, much better. Occasionally, I do have some soreness - probably scar tissue from the area - and my CRS's have said I'm healed, with no fissure. It's a relief, for sure. My problem has been my rather small anatomy, which accounts also for the c-sections I've had.
Otherwise, I'm in far better shape than I was a year or more ago. In fact, I'll be ordering pizza tonight . . . and enjoying it without worry! I'm still in touch with rasmith, and he's doing well, as well.
Take care and please check in, from time to time.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Deleted User 1775 » 06 Feb 2013, 10:17

Sweet bugaboo, thank you for your support and taking the time to answer my questions. I have my up and down days and the last two days when I go to the bathroom I feel that scraping feel on my right side I don't know if its a new fissure or my incision site. The 15th can't come sooner. I pray I don't have another fissure and its just scar tissue like you. I will let you know what my CRS says next week. It's just a frustrating thing to keep dealing with as you know. Hopefully with time it will improve for the both of us. I still have a hard time with working out and pushing a shopping cart. It might be putting pressure on that area. Another question to ask the CRS. Thanks again for sharing your story and I hope I can chat with you again if I have more questions and I will keep you updated. Cheers to healing this year for good :)
Jd
Deleted User 1775

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 06 Feb 2013, 13:39

jdchurch wrote:Sweet bugaboo, thank you for your support and taking the time to answer my questions. I have my up and down days and the last two days when I go to the bathroom I feel that scraping feel on my right side I don't know if its a new fissure or my incision site. The 15th can't come sooner. I pray I don't have another fissure and its just scar tissue like you. I will let you know what my CRS says next week. It's just a frustrating thing to keep dealing with as you know. Hopefully with time it will improve for the both of us. I still have a hard time with working out and pushing a shopping cart. It might be putting pressure on that area. Another question to ask the CRS. Thanks again for sharing your story and I hope I can chat with you again if I have more questions and I will keep you updated. Cheers to healing this year for good :)
Jd

Hi, again, Jd! I so totally, totally understand what you're going through. I still have bouts of it - and I haven't healed in exactly the fuss-free way I know other people have. For several months' after my surgery, I felt some burning, scraping, too -- and even now, sometimes, I'll feel like something got scraped in there. When I look at my bottom end in the magnifying mirror (and that takes a bit of tricky maneuvering), I can't see anything that is different, other than my very small scar/tag area, which is leftover from the surgery. Both Crs #3 and Crs #4 say that, even with that small area, my bottom looks good. HOWEVER, I know - just from the bottom being attached to ME, that the scar area is tender and sometimes feels scraped.
That might be what you're experiencing, too. I don't believe I have a fissure, but the little area leftover from surgery sometimes feels irritated - and there are nerve endings there that are somewhat tender.
I wouldn't think you'd have another fissure - but let your CRS check you and see. My guess would be that your recovery might be a bit like mine, in that you have a tender area leftover, and it's sensitive because of your surgery.
I also fully know how consuming and depressing it is to try to cope with a bottom that doesn't feel quite right. Like I said, I toy with the idea of having that scar/tag part worked on, but I'm afraid to have more done down there, if not absolutely necessary. I'm just hoping I'll eventually toughen up to where it doesn't bother me all that much. --- The main thing is that my fissure pain is gone, and I'm grateful for that, because I was absolutely ready to jump off a cliff, due to the agonizing pain it caused me. So, if I have to deal with the scar/tag stuff, it's better than having a full-blown fissure driving me crazy day and night.
Remember, healing is different for everyone and does take alot, ALOT of time for some of us. --- Please let me know how your dr. visit goes. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure