Re-tear two months after surgery(?)

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re-tear two months after surgery(?)

Postby aimonaali » 04 Feb 2013, 07:35

I'm really scared right now. I just went to the loo and I think the fissure opened again a bit. The BM wasn't painful but I might have put too much pressure at the end and I felt a little burning on the fissure area. The burning is still there and using a mirrow I think I can see opening in the fissure :/
Is this normal? Is it normal to be scared? Image
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Re: Re-tear two months after surgery(?)

Postby suzyljank » 04 Feb 2013, 09:08

Hi, try not to get too scared. LIS surgery alone doesn't get rid of a fissure immediately. It relaxes the muscle so blood flow returns to the area so the fissure can finally heal. Once the fissure has healed it can take up to a year for the fissure site to return to normal. It's very delicate and can retear easily. That's where LIS can help. Because the muscle is more relaxed a tear should heal faster. Remember even though you heal you should always keep your bms softer and continue to have fiber and lots of liquids in your diet. If you're burning rinse the area with warm water and apply a little coconut oil, it really helps and it's all natural, no chemicals so you can use it as often as you need. Hope this helps. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby aimonaali » 04 Feb 2013, 10:50

Thanks. I try not to get too scared but this is really depressing. This thing really has the power to take away my will to live... The good thing is that the tear doesn't seem to be very big. But still it is there first time after I had LIS a little over two months ago. About three weeks ago I went to see my surgeon because of some burning of the incision wound. He told me that the fissure had already healed and wouldn't re-tear easily :/
Now I just don't know what to do or to believe anymore...
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby suzyljank » 04 Feb 2013, 11:04

Hi, I had LIS at the end of 2008. Unfortunately for me it only helped a little bit. I kept retearing, just a little here and there but what no one told me was for me each time I'd tear and heal I formed scar tissue. That tissue made the opening of my bum so narrow, it's called anal stenosis. I need to have another surgery to remove the scar tissue and make the opening larger. I agree, it can be very depressing because you really don't do anything wrong, yet you wonder if you could have done something to prevent this.
I'm not a doctor but my surgeon told me that even when a fissure heals it takes time for the tissue to regain it's strength, he actually told me about 8 months but it's an individual things. I hope you heal quickly, try not to panic because stress can make it worse. Sending positive thoughts. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby aimonaali » 04 Feb 2013, 15:09

Sorry to hear about your troubles and thanks for the positive thoughts:) This really is a great site you people got going on here, lots of useful information and symphaty as well.
Tomorrow I think I'll try "coverin" the fissure site with vaselin before BM. Maybe that'll help it heal again...
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 7114 » 30 Apr 2018, 08:43

It's five years on since the last post on this page, but I'm in the same situation. 7.5 weeks after surgery, I retore this morning during a normalish BM :( It is so heart-wrenchingly frustrating. I can't concentrate on anything else today. Just when I thought things were finally getting better too...
Deleted User 7114