Re-tear(s) after surgery?

33 days post-op with 2 bleeding re-tears

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re-tear(s) after surgery?

Postby AssMan2018 » 29 Oct 2018, 16:07

Hi there,

Here's hoping I'm not alone. I'm 4 weeks and 3 days post open LIS surgery. I've twice re-torn my fissure; on weeks 3 and 4. My doctor's advise was to beware of hard stool... umm, well duh. :D I'm aware and proactive in taking 400 mg of docusate (Colace) plus Metamucil 3x daily. It's not that the stool was too terribly firm, but that passing it required some effort. Obviously, the surgery was to allow the body to repair itself. So, has this happened to you and is this normal?

Thank you!
:Rock:
AssMan2018

Topics: 2

Re: Re-tear(s) after surgery?

Postby TomatoSoup » 30 Oct 2018, 03:26

I experienced the same thing at 4 weeks or so. I drink tons of water and 90% of the time have fantastically easy BM's but I had one day where I just had to push a bit, I felt a little thing, and looked back and saw some red. Very disappointing. Couldn't see my surgeon but saw an associate who said he saw a tiny tear so he prescribed nifedipine. I applied it for 3 weeks. I wish I could be more help to say that it all resolved but I've had fairly random blood in the stool and am currently about 10-11 weeks post-op. Luckily no pain. I just called my surgeon's office (I got surgery right before moving out of state so I can't see them anymore) and asked the nurse to pass on that I'm still having some bleeding and to ask when I can determine if the surgery worked. They called back after a few days and said the doctor said there could be bleeding associated with the healing? Something about granular tissue. Didn't make sense to me. At this point I'm just working to keep my stress low and take it one day at a time. Gonna try to not obsess over it and will reevaluate in a month.
TomatoSoup
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby AssMan2018 » 30 Oct 2018, 21:32

Hi, TomatoSoup: Thanks a bunch for your reply! Wow, 10+ weeks post-op and still healing. I feel for ya'. No pain here either, yay! Prior to surgery, I gave nifedipine a whirl for about two months. It did provide some relief, but
it didn't ultimately take care of the problem. So, if I may ask, at four'ish weeks post-op was your incision still open and exposed (I had an open lateral fissurotomy)?
And if so, which my doc tells me is normal, I take it the nifedipine didn't cause any irritation, problems or hinder a quick recovery? Much much much appreciated!
AssMan2018

Topics: 2

Postby TomatoSoup » 03 Nov 2018, 20:02

Hey,

Late reply. To answer your question, I did not have any issues with the nifedipine postop. I used the cream for about 3 weeks starting at the 4 week mark of recovery. I also didn't really notice much of anything from the cream. I used it once a few months before surgery and I don't think I respond much to it.

As for the healing timeline, my personal experience is that it is much longer than the doctor told me. I've read on hear that some folks say many months for a full recovery. Not to freak you out, but some folks also have retears many months after surgery so it's pretty up in the air. I also got the surgery thinking that it was the cure-all but at this point I'm just trying to keep my head about it and see how it goes.

I did have a small retear at 4 weeks. I'm now at 11 weeks. There doesn't seem to be much pattern to when I notice a little blood. The only pattern I see is that the blood appears at the very end of the stool. I squat on the toilet and am crazy so I've been shining my phone light as I watch the stool pass. If there is blood it is almost always a little tag of it at the very end. When I had my retear I noticed drops of blood in the bowl. I didn't notice any thing the last couple days but I think I recall seeing a little bit like 3 days ago. Still no pain though which I have to remind myself is a blessing since so many people here are in misery. I'm hoping my bleeding is from a slow recovery of the incision.
TomatoSoup
Salt Bather

Postby Tryingtorelax » 09 Jul 2019, 16:14

TomatoSoup, did you fully heal?
Tryingtorelax
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby TomatoSoup » 12 Jul 2019, 02:43

Hey Tryingtorelax,

Thanks for checking in. I've had a pretty good last few months. I had my LIS last august so I'm coming up on one year. To give you too much info: I've done quite a bit of self-examination of my anal region, as I've enjoyed using sex toys and such when I'm alone. I must've still been having random bleeding after a BM a few months ago because I was reading articles by Dr. Evan Goldstein, who is a gay anal surgeon and he advocated using an anal dilator to keep the anus from getting too tight. It's basically a smooth vibrator that adjusts in size. The smallest size is about the size of a finger. I inserted it for about 20 minutes a few times a week for a couple months. In addition, I've felt around in there with a latex glove on and I wonder if I have a small hermorroid or something. There is a little bulb type thing on one side. I'm finally going to a doctor in a couple weeks and will ask him to refer me to a rectal surgeon so that I can have them assess me at one year post op.

Like I said, TMI, however I only had one toilet trip involve any blood in the last 3 months. I have not had any pain this whole time. I can feel that the side of my anus that had the fissure will probably always be different and sensitive. I had a sentinel pile removed that was visable on the outside of my anus before surgery. The doctor did a good job and there is no visible bump anymore but I can feel the scar tissue under the skin there. That's pretty much the only tender area when I examine myself with a lubed finger and glove.

I hope that helps.
TomatoSoup
Salt Bather

Postby ken2021 » 05 Aug 2021, 10:34

2 years ago, How are you now Tomato are you fully healed? no pain no bleeding?
ken2021
Salt Bather

Topics: 1