How is the healing process? Can someone pls describe?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

How is the healing process? Can someone pls describe?

Postby sufferer » 01 Feb 2013, 23:42

This is mainly for folks who have healed/nearly healed. Can someone please describe how the healing process is?
I'm on Nitro 0.2% twice a day for about 12 days (week 2) now. Although the bleeding has stopped and the pain significantly reduced, it still seems very dependent on the BM. I had one slightly bulky today and I could feel the pain again.
How long before Nitro really starts to heal, enough to make you feel you are finally going back to pre-AF days!?
I also have a dull ache all over my right butt, thigh, the side where my fissure is. Is that common? Is this a part of the healing process? What should I make of it?
8 months of AF, and options of non-surgical treatment seem to be getting limited by the day :( HOping Nitro works for me.
Would appreciate if folks who have healed, especially healed with Nitro, could walk us through the healing phase. I'm sure it's not an overnight miracle, but a long slow process.
Thanks again to everyone on this forum for helping.
sufferer
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: How is the healing process? Can someone pls describe?

Postby PIA » 02 Feb 2013, 00:14

Hi Sufferer,
It seems you are doing very well. I think setbacks are part of the healing process. We may heal, we may not, we can but try. For me it helped to be able to identify where each type of pain may have originated. I keep a diary. I feel this way I have a little more control over my fissure friend than it has over me. Image
I too have a near constant pain on the left side of my butt that feels to go from outside to in. It is different to the severe internal pain when the sphincter really clamps down. This pain is bearable. It is the side of my new fissure. I think it is the nerve endings in the fissure reacting to the sphincter spasm. Sometimes it throbs which I dont mind too much cause I tell myself at least there is some blood supply getting to the spot to help it heal. It is relieved by warm baths and maybe that is where I should go but my poor old wrinkly skin has had enough baths for today. So I apply a little vaseline to the area..after a dab with witch hazel soaked (literally soaked I poor witch hazel into the baby wipes container) it feels hot a little at first but then really seems to soothe things for a while. This is not for everybody so go easy at first if you try it. I keep hoping that I am on the healing path and judging by my diary I am much improved. My family says so too!! Will be interesting to see what my CRS says when he has another peek in a little under two weeks. Image Thanks for letting me ramble on. Xx Pia
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby marg6043 » 03 Feb 2013, 09:47

I believe that when healing happens you will forget that you ever had it. While others will never heal or the discomfort never goes away.
I am with Pia on this issue, it took months for mine to be under control, trial and error, my fissure now is to the point that I can control it more that it controls me to a more everyday comfortable condition that can get out of control in not time if I do not follow an everyday procedure before and after BMs.
In your case it may go away and you will be one of the lucky ones, for me I know that to this point is not going away on its own but I can control the discomfort and live a normal life.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Ever the Optimist » 05 Feb 2013, 15:36

Hi all,
Just to chip in and add my story too and to hear you are all doing so well...
I'm exactly one year and one month on since the development of my fissure, which was followed by an abscess and then fistula and a few piles thrown in for good measure!! It was a painful 2012!
I am very happy to say that the fistula totally healed, the piles ( I believe not helped by all the internals & EUA's of last year) are manageable and the fissure almost, almost gone (but not quite)......
Incidentally, I had 7 months of treatment with Diltizem cream and I swear this played a huge role in helping "heal" my fissure.
If I foolishly strain - even a little (which I 99% do NOT ever do these days!), I feel a familiar mild twinge in that area reminding me of some of those days of hell I endured and just warning me to stay sensible! Most of the time, I feel nothing. It's like it never happened. My only reminders of the constant pain, distress, exhaustion, stress of it all are in my diary. I can't remember the intensity of it all but I am highly aware that I do not want to go through it all again....
So, for those wondering "Will life ever be the same again?" -
I believe largely "Yes" - You can go back to normality, get rid of the pain, take control of your life again but "No" on the other hand, simply because you've had that experience and your bottom may not feel 100% the same again, but it's just adapting to it and going with the change and accepting what's happened has happened.
These days it's one particular internal pile that tends to bother me most, not really the fissure - but that's not every day and easily soothed with creams. I consider myself lucky.
So, in response to the original question, "No", it definitely does not heal overnight" - It can take weeks, more realistically months for those with chronic fissures, but it does take optimism, patience, positive thinking and a few dietary and toilet changes to help get you there along with the hot baths, stool softeners and creams!
Good luck all :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby sufferer » 06 Feb 2013, 02:40

Thank you all! Wow! Ever the optimist - It sure seems like a horrible year for you. Kudos to you for still keeping your chin up and dealing with this menace. Such an inspiration.
I too think I'm managing well on most days, though hoping it will completely heal. Am on week 3 of Nitro, after past trials with Diltiazem (gave me a rash on week 4 and had to discontinue). Too much experimentation has left me disoriented about whether I am headed in the right direction. Hence wanted others who have healed to share their experience.
A re-tear and blood on stool today is enough to make me think I'm nowhere near healing...back to square one every few weeks :( Image
sufferer
Salt Bather

Topics: 7