Do I need surgery?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Do I need surgery?

Postby hopefulbutt » 05 Feb 2013, 16:21

ALmost one year ago exactly I got two fissures internal. Both healed but left pain. I also had small internal hemorrhoid causing pain. So I recently got IRC for internal hemorrhoid. First 2 treatments went fine (although somewhat painful) and I also got botox for the tight sphinceter. I went back MOnday for the 3rd treatment and said i had a superficial fissure! SO I looked and there it is. AWWWWW! I cried. I feel like I am ready to just die. I would almost rather have cancer. I don't know if I can face the pain again. At this point I think the botox helped but still am in pain. Do i need surgery? Really, will my butt every heal properly without it?
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 40

Re: Do I need surgery?

Postby suzyljank » 05 Feb 2013, 16:56

Hi, sorry you're suffering. It sounds like you are now dealing with scar tissue. This can cause a narrowing of the opening which causes pain and makes you tighter. Hemorrhoid surgery is the no.1 reason for anal stenosis. Not everyone gets it but it is a complication. If you can try to see another CRS for a second opinion before you undertake another surgical procedure. In the meantime, take stool softeners, warm sitz baths and lubricate before you have a bm. Try sitting on a warm heating pad. It helps relieve spasms. Hope this helps and you find some relief soon. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby hopefulbutt » 05 Feb 2013, 17:05

thanks suzy. I am soooooo exhausted from this. I am afraid that even if this heals, will i keep getting them from having such a small area down there now? I haven't even completed the treatments- I have one left.
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby suzyljank » 05 Feb 2013, 17:52

Are you comfortable with your doctor? Ask lots of questions. I always go in with a list of questions so I don't forget anything. If for any reason a doctor won't answer or they don't make sense to me or I feel uncomfortable with them, I find a new doctor. If you feel comfortable with yours that's great but if you don't, don't be afraid to move on. There are people in this group who have seen more than one doctor. Don't just jump into surgery until you weigh all your options, ask about how it will help you and the complication and then make a decision. I know when you're in pain it's difficult but the members here are a great help and their experiences are invaluble. Take care of yourself. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby hopefulbutt » 06 Feb 2013, 10:54

thanks again suzy. This is my 3rd CRS. My first one wanted to jump to surgery right away last spring and I got scared. My second one didn't care at all that I was in pain. I do trust this one. I am going to see him again on Friday. I've been reading on this board for a year now. Do you know, can people who like me, have gotten so many fissures and have problems heal with cream and time alone? I am willing to try the nitro cream again or even more botox. Did you try these things first? Thanks
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby suzyljank » 06 Feb 2013, 11:30

Hi, I'm not sure. It depends on the underlying problem. If your muscle is tight because of scar tissue you may be able to heal but you would be prone to tear again. If it's tight because of the fissure maybe if it heals it would relax. These are good questions for you doctor. Botox can help to relax the muscle so your fissure can heal but I personally have a few friends who tried it and had to have the surgery eventually. I never had Botox, my CRS told me that for my circumstances it wouldn't help. I'm dealing with scar tissue. I did have LIS but it wasn't enough for me. I need the flap surgery. I do still use nitro and I've tried them all and think it's the most effective for me. The headaches were a pain in the butt but after a while I didn't get them anymore. Hope you find something that works for you. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby hopefulbutt » 06 Feb 2013, 18:50

Suzyjank thanks for replying to me. I hope you find healing as well. I read your posts and saw you had a failed LIS. I am so sorry. Thanks for talking to me. It is so nice to have someone who understands how depressing and life-affecting in even small things this is. Are you going to have the advanced-flap procedure? WIll they do a 2nd LIS too? I know several people on this board had LIS2, even one had a LIS3.
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist