New issue 5 days post op???

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: New issue 5 days post op???

Postby jr2 » 06 Feb 2013, 20:57

It isn't that it would compromise your ability to have children, but if you chose to have a pregnancy and chose a vaginal birth, you could be at increased risk for incontinence due to the additive trauma on your sphincter from childbirth plus LIS.
Though you may not be interested in legal action now, the reason it is important to really have all this sorted through and consider all the options is that should you encounter future problems in your health related to your having had this surgery, you would be incurring further expenses and pain and suffering as a result of a surgery you didn't consent to having in the first place.
For example, let's say you did get pregnant, and your OB/GYN decides a cesarean is in your best interest due to your having had LIS previously and not wanting to risk any damage to your sphincter with a vaginal birth. Having to have a cesarean is a physical cost to you with all of its risks, as well as a financial one that you might not even have had to consider had you not had the LIS.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Mamalucia » 06 Feb 2013, 21:22

True but wouldn't they question y I didn't take action sooner after finding out I had the surgery instead of waiting until some form of a complication arises?
Mamalucia
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby jr2 » 06 Feb 2013, 21:40

That's why it would be a really good idea to get copies of all your records together, including consent forms you signed, operative report, arbitration agreement (if you signed one), pathology report (if there is one), chart notes, etc., to see what the doctor has in writing, and what you signed, and then consider a one-time consult with an attorney who specializes in medical issues, just to find out your options for future scenarios you may not even be able to imagine right now. It doesn't mean you will take legal action, or that you will ever need to, or that you will ever have a problem in the future, but it's always good to do information gathering just to know where you stand.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Savaici » 06 Feb 2013, 21:44

I posted in your other message about getting the report and consent. Then you can see exactly what was done, etc. Often these reports have these 'sneaky' extras so it's worth seeing what is actually written on yours. As jr2 said above, I would get everything I could. I always get mine.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Mamalucia » 07 Feb 2013, 07:05

Thanks for both of your inputs...will make the call today to get the records and everything I signed!!
Mamalucia
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Savaici » 07 Feb 2013, 08:48

Makes a good read...and also posted under Websites, etc.
http://www.propublica.org/article/why-patients-dont-report-medical-errors
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Mamalucia » 07 Feb 2013, 08:52

Lol I saw the other post before I saw this one ill be looking it to it more closely this week
Mamalucia
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mamalucia » 07 Feb 2013, 15:52

The surgeons office is getting all my records together for me for the 15th and I'm calling the surgical center in the morning for the consent forms.
Mamalucia
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby delasama » 08 Feb 2013, 14:16

I'm interested in hearing what they say
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby Mamalucia » 08 Feb 2013, 14:52

I'm gonna guess that I did sign a form that says while he's in the area if he notices anything else that needs to be done he can do it. I still wish I was spoken to about it even afterwards just inform me of what you did and how it went. I'm not hard to please. A simple "it went fine I did this for this reason then I realized I needed to do this so we got that taken care of and you're good to go" that's all I needed.
Mamalucia
Proctosphincteranalogist