CRS said get off miralax and take colace - not working! Help

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

CRS said get off miralax and take colace - not working! Help

Postby ring of fire » 07 Feb 2013, 10:19

CRS said the goal is one soft poop a day. She said to get off the miralax bc I was going 2-5 x day. I slowly got off the miralax and started the colace. This was a week ago. The colace does not seem to be helping. Hard, large stool this morning. Tons of bleeding and horrible pain. I called and the nurse said to add more fiber. I miss the miralax! I'm still going 2-3 x a day but now it's harder. This is miserable. Any advice?
ring of fire
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: CRS said get off miralax and take colace - not working! Help

Postby coconut » 07 Feb 2013, 11:07

From what I know of mirlax, I think some people should probably just take it once a day, usually before you go to bed so that it does its thing at night and you can wake up to a bm. I know a lot of folks around here take it all day long, but for some people, the stool stimulation aspect is too strong and taking it all day long will just make multiple bm's.
I've also had experience with doctors being completely full of it and not listening to me when I tell them that something works. Clearly, you need to do something quickly. Don't let yourself stay constipated.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Port » 07 Feb 2013, 18:56

ring of fire wrote:CRS said the goal is one soft poop a day. She said to get off the miralax bc I was going 2-5 x day. I slowly got off the miralax and started the colace. This was a week ago. The colace does not seem to be helping. Hard, large stool this morning. Tons of bleeding and horrible pain. I called and the nurse said to add more fiber. I miss the miralax! I'm still going 2-3 x a day but now it's harder. This is miserable. Any advice?
When I first started taking Miralax(nurse practitioners advice) I got the trots and my Doctor said to stop taking it and but continue with the Citrucel. I didn't listen to him entirely, mainly because Miralax was working for me, I just had to fine tune it. Now I'm slowly cutting out the Citrucel(was his advice) because the large stools it makes are part of how I got a fissure in the first place. As far as my Miralax dose goes, I'm finding that, for me, almost a full dose one day then about 3/4 of a dose the next day works out okay(i'm under 150lb). It's tricky stuff because for me at least the result is about 2 to 3 days down the road after I take it. You know your body best, I'd take the Doctors advice under consideration then do what you think is best for your body. Not sure why you'd be still going 2 - 3 times a day, maybe you're not getting it all out? I know when I was in pain, I'd go a little, check the pot, then jump up and figure Okay I didn't bleed Image that's good for now. Only problem was, if I let it go too long it was asking for trouble with a more dry/large poop. We're all so different, not sure if what I said will help...good luck.
Port
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby jr2 » 08 Feb 2013, 00:55

In an ideal world, one soft poop a day would be what everyone would do. Unfortunately, this is pretty rare, which is why hemorrhoids and fissures are so common. You really do have to experiment to find what works for your body. You can even safely combine Colace and Miralax. You don't have to take a full dose of Miralax if that was too much for you. But actually, two or three small soft BMs per day is easier on the area than one large hard one would be.
jr2

Topics: 15

Re: CRS said get off miralax and take colace - not working!

Postby Daisy » 09 Jan 2017, 02:31

Miralax, Colace, and Fiber work in different ways! In this case, I think your CRS is bla bla bla-ing without any real specific reason, other than he's said this stuff to everyone, regardless of whether or not it makes sense to the individual.
2 soft BM's a day is pretty normal, usually around the same times --morning, and early evening. What's important is that you evacuate your bowels regularly, and that they're never hard.
Did the CRS specify exactly why you need to come off Miralax? Seems to me, you know your body. If you haven't been having any issues, and now after eliminating it and having Colace not work, it means your hunches are probably correct.
Daisy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby roseyaa » 10 Jan 2017, 21:49

I've actually had soft poops (though a bit too soft at times) for the past couple of weeks.

Here's what works for me:
- 1 tbsp of EVOO after I get up
- potatoes for breakfast
- 1 mag citrate (150mg) in between lunch and snack (around 2-3pm)
- 1-2tsp of coconut oil straight up (no need for water) before bedtime.

I don't have fruits most days but if I do I like eating bananas, and I eat minimal veggies.

I've also noticed drinking Ensure early in the day tends to soften my stool as well (prob due to the magnesium & potassium).

Give this a shot! I've literally tried almost everything to soften my stool. Oils on an *empty stomach* and mag citrate work wonders for me!
roseyaa
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby suzyljank » 19 Jan 2017, 20:25

All you need to do with the miralax is adjust the dose. You can add or subtract until you find the right amount that works well for you. Colace doesn't help anal fissures because it doesn't always soften stool.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic