Traveling for surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Traveling for surgery

Postby andyk123 » 27 Jan 2013, 09:59

Has anyone had to do this?
I am in a position where the surgeon i want to operate on me is about 3.5 hours away. I might have to travel home from surgery alone on a train. it would be about 15 minutes taxi to train station, and then a 3 hour train home, with 2 changes. and then a ten minute taxi from the station.
sounds quite daunting just after surgery but if im relying on a lift home i will have to wait months longer to have the surgery until my dad is free to drive. even then it would be about a 4 hour drive.
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Re: Traveling for surgery

Postby jr2 » 27 Jan 2013, 10:35

andyk123
Gosh, that sounds pretty daunting to try and do right after surgery. Your pain level right afterward would be one concern, though it's possible that the local anesthetic would give you some time right after the surgery before the pain sets in. But a bigger concern is most people feel pretty drowsy and disoriented because of the anesthesia. Have you ever had any type of surgical procedure before so that you know how you react to anesthesia? I'd be concerned about you being alone and trying to manage all that. Is your doctor planning on local anesthesia only? With sedation I wonder if the doctor would even agree to release you without having someone to assist you. Are you in the US? Whenever I've had surgeries or any procedure requiring sedation they always make sure someone is with me to accompany me home and won't proceed with the procedure if someone isn't there for me.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby andyk123 » 27 Jan 2013, 10:41

I am in the UK
I have actually had LIS before and a few other operations aswell. To be totally honest with you i cant truely remember how i felt after my surgeries. I travelled about 15 minutes to get home and just relaxed so i wasnt really tested, but i dont remember feeling disorientated or drowsy - just kind of worn out.
I feel like i would be able to do it, but i feel like it would be a horrible experience. really dont know what to do.
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 27 Jan 2013, 11:04

Would this be a second LIS?
If you really don't want to wait for surgery...
You could discuss the situation with the doctor/anesthesiologist. He/she could perhaps use a combination of local anesthesias only, including a long acting one to help you get home.
Could you possibly book a one-night or two-night stay in a hotel nearby?
jr2

Postby jr2 » 27 Jan 2013, 11:19

Just one more thought...
Since the traveling home is the part you would need help with, maybe you could arrange with a home health care aide of some kind for transportation services? I know they have services like that in the US. You could try contacting the doctor/hospital to see if they can help you find a resource like this in the UK.
jr2

Postby Badd825 » 27 Jan 2013, 12:32

That sounds like a bad idea. I had surgery Friday and only had a 2 hour car ride and I slept most of it. I could not navigate what you are describing at all. And jr is right they wouldn't do the procedure without my husband there to take me home. I had the long acting anesthetic which is supposed to last 3 days and I was uncomfortable even with that. I hope you can find a different way. Trust me I know the desperate feeling to get this behind you but I'm concerned for you and think you need to find an alternative. An overnight hotel stay as jr suggested might be the best idea although you still have to make sure the hospital will do it without someone to whom they could discharge you. I'm praying for you. This is difficult enough without having the support we need to get through it. God bless
Badd825
Salt Bather

Postby owmybum » 28 Jan 2013, 03:30

I really don't think you should do it Andy.... How could you sit on public transport...upright..and on your very newly operated on bum....and you would also have to carry all your things...increasing pressure down there.
You really need to sort out some one to take you and bring you home. I am sure also that they will not let you home alone after an anaesthetic. Please think again...it would be hell!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Davo » 04 Feb 2013, 15:04

Hi Andy,
I know the route you are talking about and seriously don't even consider it straight after surgery. If you want it the hospital will let you stay overnight for one night, then you need to look at a further two nights (at least) in a local hotel before travelling.
It would be possible to sit in a car for a few hours though as long as you have plenty of cushions.
When you leave hospital after LIS you'll be walking like a penguin and very, very slowly.
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby Sue27uk » 07 Feb 2013, 11:54

Oh gosh Andy, I really wouldn't do that! It wouldn't be a good move I don't think. I'm still having problems, now have a new fissure so am being referred back to the hospital on the NHs so a waiting game again. If it gets too long I am going private again. Where are you having your surgery? Could you ring up and find out what they suggest? :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby andyk123 » 10 Feb 2013, 11:30

hi guys thank you for the replies and advice.
Well i have been to see the doctor, Davo - it was mr windsor.
I saw him privately and he is now going to do the operation on the NHS for me, and he said theres only a 5 week wait! compared to the 3 - 4 months i have to wait in wales i was shocked at how short a wait it was in london.
So i am having a 2nd LIS surgery in march, i am having an ultrasound the day before, staying in a hotel, and then having surgery the next day. hes pretty confident i am fine to have a second surgery but wants to do an ultrasound himself just to make sure the muscle is all intact.
The plan is that hopefully my dad can pick me up, and it will be about a 4 hour drive home, so i will just lie in the back seat.
if my dad cant pick me up then im not sure what the plan is really. i might stay in a hotel and then travel back the next day on train. i know it will be horrible but i cant think what else to do.
Sue im sorry to hear u still have problems. must be about 2 years for you now?! Are you at a point where you would consider LIS yet?
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist