Can lis cut turn into fissure.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Can lis cut turn into fissure.

Postby aimonaali » 15 Feb 2013, 11:08

So is the open method the one where they cut inside the anus or the other way around? Do you happen to know which one heales faster?
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby jr2 » 15 Feb 2013, 11:19

The open method cuts through the tissue so the surgeon can visualize the muscle to be cut, and the closed version does not cut through the tissue. Healing rates are similar but there is in the studies I've read a higher incidence of incontinence with the open method.
Here's one study that was psted to this board. There are other studies as well, but this one is a good representation.
http://anal-fissure.org/t4505-open-vs-closed-sphincterotomy-for
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby marg6043 » 17 Feb 2013, 22:08

Well this is news to me, I always believe the cut was on the outside, this is another question I now have to ask my doctor on my next appointment if I decide to go ahead with the LIS in case of a set back.
The way he told me he did it is a "nip on the muscle and a littler scrapping on the fissure and I would heal in no time" kind of made look like an easy thing. :)
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8