If botox worked but didnt last, will LIS fix it for good?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

If botox worked but didnt last, will LIS fix it for good?

Postby hopefulbutt » 20 Feb 2013, 09:00

Ok, so I know its early for me with the botox (6 weeks in) but I am just wondering, has anyone had the botox work and then have pain again when it's worn off? I am getting concerened about when the botox wears off. Honestly it has helped a lot. I do have some pain/soreness after certain bms still but mostly feel so much better. I really would do botox again, but my crs told me honestly that it may just be a temporary fix. I guess I'm wondering if LIS will seal the deal for good?
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 40

Re: If botox worked but didnt last, will LIS fix it for good?

Postby Stratocaster » 20 Feb 2013, 09:18

Well it depends on how your using the word 'worked'. If your fissure completely healed thanks to botox then your free and clear unless you end up retearing.
However I'm guessing you more mean that the botox has been a good pain management tool. LIS would have a similar effect. Botox is often called the chemical version of LIS (obv not permanent). If you have good results on botox but it doesn't clear everything up then LIS might be a good choice. It would cause your sphincter to relax and not spasm and cause pain after a BM. That being said botox causes paralysis to the muscle so it is a bit different. You can think of LIS as snipping a few rubber bands so it's not as tight.
Stratocaster
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 6

Postby jr2 » 20 Feb 2013, 11:02

hopefulbutt
LIS, like Botox, will help the chronic fissure you have now to heal, and has a high success rate. It doesn't guarantee that you will never get another fissure in the future, but it does reduce the odds of it happening again.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Lauren12 » 20 Feb 2013, 12:56

Furthermore, I'd add to what everyone else has said in that with LIS, if you do fissure again - perhaps by passing a large and hard bowel movement - the fissure will heal. My CRS told me that I shouldn't get any more major fissures now that I've had the LIS.
15 months after the LIS operation, having had no trouble since becoming fully healed, I was on holiday, which involved eating a different diet. I tried to eat high fibre foods but as there was no fibre content shown on many of these foods, I actually went overboard and started eating too much fibre and passing giant stools. By this time I was no longer using stool softeners. The holiday was also in July, in hot weather, and involved lots of walking, so probably I was more dehydrated than usual too. Anyway, my bottom started playing up and on the day I was due to drive home, it seemed like I had a fresh fissure and was back in fissure hell. I laid in bed and was in as much pain as before I'd had the LIS operation. However I did manage to drive home, dosed up with Lignocaine and painkillers! I also 'phoned and made a panic appointment with the CRS before leaving the holiday accommodation but couldn't get to see him for two weeks.
Anyway, the very next day I was OK again! I couldn't believe it but was so relieved as I'd expected months of hell - and of course, by the time I sheepishly went in to see the CRS two weeks later, I was absolutely normal! He examined me - no fissure - and just reiterated that now I'd had the LIS, if I did get a fissure, I'd heal again. In the seven months since then, I've been fine.
So my own experience is that LIS is a more permanent solution than Botox. However I was one of the minority for whom Botox didn't work - the CRS said it doesn't work for everyone. If it was not an effective treatment however, I don't think it would be offered so widely. If the majority of people having Botox only found relief for the 3 or 4 months before it wears off, I don't think it would be considered a viable treatment.
And when I say that for me Botox didn't work, I mean it didn't take away the pain. It reduced it somewhat, but didn't take it away and when the Botox wore off, it became more painful. If you've had a good response for Botox however, then you're probably one of the 70% for whom it's worked!
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby hopefulbutt » 21 Feb 2013, 09:40

Thanks everyone. I know it's only been 6 weeks but it almost feels like its starting to wear off already. Some days it's fine and others more aches and pains. I don't know if i would do botox again if it wears off. It was easy but I am so ready to move on with life, look for a job, spend time with my family and make plans. I feel like I can never say yes to anything beacuse I don't know how I will feel that day.
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jrb » 18 Mar 2013, 18:01

Did you end up needing botox again? My CRS said that in some cases, they need to do a 2nd round if the fissure doesn't heal in that initial period when the muscle is relaxed from the first injection. But they said usually one round is all that's needed. I'm thinking of having it done soon.
jrb
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby hopefulbutt » 18 Mar 2013, 18:23

They will do it in a month again if I need it. So 3 months apart.
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby PIA » 19 Mar 2013, 01:42

I am only two weeks in since botox. I am happily mostly pain free. I feel my fissure is healing due to my change in diet and the spasms being relieved by the botox and previously the Nitro cream. I hope that if my fissure heals and I avoid constipation that the sphincter will have no need to spasm again. I would be more than prepared to have botox again to extend the healing time.
I am so much more informed than I was when I first tore that I feel I can take measures to prevent a recurrance.
That is easier said than done of course so I am prepared and accept that LIS will help me if I need to go down that path. At the moment it is working beautifully for me so "if it aint broke, don't fix it".
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby hopefulbutt » 19 Mar 2013, 07:06

If dis work really well for me. I still had some pain but it did help a lot. The problem now is I have an ulcer. Not sure how it happened or when. It causes significant pain after bm and spasms and soreness too. He thinks my botox is starting to wear off too but won't give me more until they are 3 months apart.
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist