This feels like hell is right

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

This feels like hell is right

Postby nurseebol » 21 Feb 2013, 18:21

HI I am new here. I am a nurse and have a fissure and it sucks! But I look at it as helping my patients now I can empathize with their pain, lol. Went to the doc 3 weeks ago with what I thought were the worst hemorrhoids I'd ever had and found out it was a fissure. He gave me procotofoam and said come back in 2 week and if no better he would do LIS. Well, I didnt go back because I decided to go with a doc closer to my work. See I am a hospice nurse and if I go with a doc close by, I can fit office visits into my day...I chose this other doc initially cuz he was the doc my MIL worked for, but he is a GENERAL surgeon. SO I see a CRS this Wednesday. In the meanwhile I have to deal with my 1 hour each way commute which is the hell I describe above. I usually have a BM in the am, then the 20 minute clean up. I don't see how anyone can get away with just wiping, any residue makes the spasms killer. I also am wondering if the adderall I have been on is at all the problem. I cannot find anything on it, but I seem to be able to relax my sphincter better when I don't take it, doesn't that sound great? I couldn't say that anywhere but here! I have used every cream known to man, my go to's are vick's and calmoseptine to calm the pain. I had a bit of old nitopaste that was from my MIL before she died, so it was not so strong, but it helped but I am out, so I hope the CRS will give me some. I wish I could fast forward time until then. I cannot fathom taking off work for this. Just 4 more days, feels like an eternity. I am the only one in the family who works and I have 2 small children, but I do have enough sick days, but will probably need them after surgery if I go that route. And yes I stopped using the proctofoam, I feel like I may have 2 fissures now thanks to that crud. And I am taking Aleive faithfully. Sitz baths sometimes, but they seem to hurt more. Any tips to help while I drive? It is hell on earth!!!! I have some blankets folded where the seat sinks down which helps but still...I tried a donut cushoin and I think it made it worse
nurseebol
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Re: This feels like hell is right

Postby jr2 » 21 Feb 2013, 18:52

Hi there!
I'm so sorry to hear you've had to join the club.
I'm wondering if you might be able to use a little leverage to get a prescription for the nitro. sooner than the appointment next week since you are a nurse. Maybe call up the surgeon's office and explain that you are a nurse, you have been diagnosed with a fissure, and while you are waiting for your appointment, might it be possible for the nurse in the office to speak with you by phone and possibly get you on the nitroglycerin now.
Seems worth a try.
Are you able to keep your BMs soft and easy to pass?
Driving is really rough. It sounds like you've already tried some things. I was going to suggest figuring out some way to sit on a heat source, like a hot water bottle or one of those bean things you can put in the microwave. But you don't get relief from the sitz baths, so the heat might not work for you. Maybe you could try using some local anesthetic cream to see if that helps. For some people it brings relief.
Some people do get some relief from the pain using ibuprofen if you can tolerate that. Applying an ice pack for a short period before you have to drive might be something to try.
Donut cushions actually put more strain on the anal area and definitely can make things worse.
Gosh, I wish I could be more help. Waiting for doctor appointments with this problem is so hard.
I hope you're able to find some comfort very soon.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby nurseebol » 21 Feb 2013, 19:42

Thanks for answering, actually you have helped. I doubt the new surgeon will give me the nitro, but I bet the first one I saw would. He has been known by us for a long time and I had explained why I would be going to a different office for the proximity to work. Ice is a good idea, I have used that before, and I will give it a go before work. My big worry is that all this sitting on my heavy rump is causing more damage. I hope it isn't going to impede healing so much that I have to look at not working for an amount of time. Hopefully once they get the whole rectal pressure down I can sit and go. thanks again!
nurseebol
Salt Bather

Postby prunie » 22 Feb 2013, 07:38

I used a heated bean cushion yesterday and it was lovely. Don't think it will take away the pain entirely, but its very relaxing on the old butt. Definitely try it. jr2 is right about the ring.....don't go there. I have all this mess from having a baby and was told not to use one as it increases the pressure on the bits you don't want to hurt. Good luck.
prunie
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Rachael 1984 » 22 Feb 2013, 09:11

Hi Nurseebol. Sorry you are suffering. I find the cura heat pads good. They stick to your clothing. I put one into my underwear yesterday. Even though it advises not to put directly onto skin, it was fine. Eased when I sat down, and walked. Lasted 12 hrs. I find if I lubricate pre BM, straight into water, then lubricate. This so far has stopped the burning. I take naproxen for pain, and macrogol stool softener. No spicy, junk or greasy foods.
I have 2 bloody Fissures, which are now ruling my life. I am booked for Botox in April. Waiting on the NHS is a bummer!
I have ordered a ring from Amazon, will this cause more problems then???! I was gonna sit on it when I drive etc.. Sitting is hard at the mo. Image
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby delasama » 22 Feb 2013, 11:56

the donut ring cushions help for some and dont for others. i think it depends what position and how far in the fissure is located.i cant sit in car with out donut cushion. some people cant sit with one...
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby nurseebol » 22 Feb 2013, 17:13

I have to add that the donut I had was inflatable, the foam ones wouldn't be so bad.
SO today, I got a foam memory contour pillow, perfect for car, because it contours up where the seat sinks back, and goes up to lift my legs off a bit and the memory foam is to die for! Then I got therma care and used it also on the drive, probably similar to Rachel's cura pads. So it was a good day! I still am spending time off my bum when I get home, lots of NSAIDS etcs. Has anyone tried KANKA for canker sores and/or stoma powder with calmoseptine? We use the latter when someone has some really raw skin. I have some in the trunk, so I may as well give it a go. Waiting for NHS I assume has to do with your way of healthcare. I guess it is good for some things, but not for things like this. You need a botox party, lol.That would be a hoot!
nurseebol
Salt Bather

Postby delasama » 22 Feb 2013, 19:18

awesome! i ordered a memory foam butt donut off amazon.com it works better than blow up one
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby Rachael 1984 » 23 Feb 2013, 06:18

Yes, mine is memory foam. Just arrived! Going to try it now. Yes, the NHS is a bummer! Waiting and waiting. Even though we pay into it, we still have to wait! I so wish I had private healthcare!!!
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby jr2 » 23 Feb 2013, 10:43

So glad you're finding some ways to be more comfortable.
Calmoseptine is good stuff for fissures. It really soothes and protects. I would avoid Kanka because of the flavoring and other ingredients they put in it for oral use as it could be irritating. There are plenty of products out there with benzocaine in them made for use in the anal area. I don't find topical anesthetics helpful at all. They sting more than anything and don't even touch the fissure pain, but some people have had success with them.
jr2

Topics: 15