LIS surgery tomorrow - My story and post surgery journal

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS surgery tomorrow - My story and post surgery journal

Postby tojo78 » 20 Feb 2013, 09:49

I am a healthy 34 year old male who has been suffering from pain in my anal region since my early to mid 20's. I have IBS and occassionally get loose BMs and contipation, but I have noticed that the IBS stuff has gotten better as I get older. I figured the pain during and after BMs was just due to the BMs I was having due to my IBS and the pain and irritation would go away in a day or two.
The first time I saw a doctor about my issues was when I noticed some bleeding after a BM (this was in my mid 20s). He took a look up in that area with this scope thing and said I had a hemmoroid. He suggested some diet changes and see what happens. I went about my business and didn't really think about it at all for years. I was still having some pain occasionally but it wasn't affecting my quality of life or causing me any anxiety.
Last June, I decided to see my GP again to get his advice on getting rid of the pain, itching, and bleeding (almost always when I wiped) and he refered me to a CRS to have the hemmoroid removed. I saw the CRS about 2 weeks later and to my surprise, he said I did not have a hemmoroid (that he could see atleast) but I infact had a fissure! I didn't even know what a fissure was so he informed me about it and told me ones that have been there awhile tend to develop skin tags (which I had). The most embarassing part was he had two nice looking young ladies there that were his students so I had 3 sets of eyes on my rear end instead of just one! He suggested LIS and I went ahead and scheduled it for three weeks later. I ended up canceling the surgery as I got nervous about having surgery in that area and thought I could just live through any discomfort I having.
Since last June, I have had my good days and bad days with my fissure. Theres usually isnt much pain during BMs on bad days but the pain afterwards and the itching were getting to me. While the pain was probably a 3 or 4 on a scale of 10, it could last anywhere from an hour to 8 hours after a BM. Itching was a real issue to and was completely annoying. I went back to my CRS in January of this year to get re-examed and see what he thinks. He said the fissure was still there and looked kinda ugly. I am thinking probably because I have had it for awhile. He said he's seen ones that look worse than mine that dont really bother people and ones he can barely see that causes terrible pain. I told him I only have issues about 50% of the time after BMs so he suggested more fiber and stool softeners to see if it can heal on its own. Two weeks after my appointment I had it and scheduled the LIS surgery. I was tired of having any pain after BMs even if it was only 50% of the time. This thing had to go!
So I have my surgery tomorrow morning at 9:30AM. I am hoping this will conclude a chapter in my life that has been going on for almost 10 years. I wish I would have gotten the surgery last year, but hindsight is 20/20. For the past week I have not really had any issues with my fissure, but history tells me it could come back with vengence at any time. I am not one of the people who are in so much pain that it affects their life everyday, but since I have had this for so long, I might be the posterchild for a chronic fissure. I will post updates daily in the hopes that it can help others in their struggle with fissures and deciding on LIS surgery.
tojo78
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Re: LIS surgery tomorrow - My story and post surgery journal

Postby jr2 » 20 Feb 2013, 11:05

Good luck tojo!
We're all cheering for you!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby hopefulbutt » 21 Feb 2013, 08:39

glad to here your on the road to healing! Let us all know how it goes.
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 40

2 hours after surgery

Postby tojo78 » 21 Feb 2013, 13:33

Just got back from the hospital. Feeling pretty darn good! Surgery started at 10:45AM and I was discharged by 12:45PM. Nurse said it usually takes the Dr about 5 minutes to do the procedure. The hospital staff was very nice. I was given a sedation IV (not general) which pretty much knocked me out. One second I was getting comfortable on the OR table, the next I was waking up in recovery. Doctor said the procedure went well and that my first couple BMs would be painful. But we went on to say the first one I had would also be one of the best ones I ever had too! Assuming he means no fissue pain, which really wasn't a huge problem for me. It was always the post fissure pain and spasms that were a problem. He said I have no dietary restrictions and just to use common sense. He prescribed me Hydrocodone for pain but no other meds. When we went to pick up the Rx, I also picked up some Mirolax. I am wondering, what dose were others that had LIS taking a day? I think a full dose might be too much!
Overall, a 10 out of 10 experience at the hospital. Now comes the healing process which is always the fun part! I will keep everyone posted on my progress atleast once a day.
tojo78
Salt Bather

Day 1

Postby tojo78 » 22 Feb 2013, 18:51

Woke up today and to be honest, I could have gone to work (I have an office job). My bottom is just a bit sore, no other issues beyond that.
I had my first post surgery BM today. It took a good 15 min and I had to push alittle more than I liked to get things going. The BM was rather dry but I had no pain and just a few minor spasms after. I decided to start my Mirolax (started with 1/2 a cap) and 3 pills of Fiber Therapy. I took the Fiber Therapy pre-surgery and it helped with my BMs. I was alittle concerned about taking the Mirolax since I have mild IBS but no issues so far. Hopefully tomorrow BM is a bit easier.
Only issue I have come across is some brownish leakage. It's not enough to get on my underwear, but it's there. I do not think it is stool but probably from the LIS site weeping. I read this has happened in others who had LIS. Doesn't bother me at all.
So far so good. The soreness is very manageable and I have no restrictions in what I do. Hope to keep up this good fortune! Will write again tomorrow.
tojo78
Salt Bather

Postby sotiredofthis » 23 Feb 2013, 09:53

Thank you for sharing your journey. I, too, have IBS which is my fear with having LIS. But if this things rears it's ugly head enough times, I will probably go for it and hope for the best. Can't live with this pain forever. Blessings on your healing!
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Postby tojo78 » 23 Feb 2013, 20:09

Sotired.. I know what you mean about rearing its ugly head. I'd go a month with no issues ten boom, right back into fissure hell. My IBS is fairly mild. It only flares up the day after drinking alcohol and sometimes I get random bouts of constipation regardless of what I consume. While I am only two days post op, I can say the past two days haven't been bad at all. Don't live in pain! See a good CRS and see what they have to say.
tojo78
Salt Bather

Day 2

Postby tojo78 » 23 Feb 2013, 20:17

Well day two had some good and not so good things happen. First the good. I have only very mild soreness in my bum and have no limitations on what I feel I can do. The bad. The past two BMs have been small and pebble-like so I think I am constipated. I have taken about 5 of the pain meds since surgery so I stopped taking them today (don't need them). I also upped my Miralax to a full cap. If the same thing happens tomorrow I am going to take some milk of manesia. The pebble like BM made my bottom sore for about two hours but its back to the way it felt this AM now (very little pain).
Quick question. I still have my skin tag. Do these tend to go away when the fissure heals or do they always have to be removed?
Will post again tomorrow
tojo78
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 23 Feb 2013, 20:21

Generally, skin tags don't go away, but they do shrink and if it was tender during the active fissure, the tenderness goes away. There isn't really any reason to have them removed unless they are causing a lot of problems with cleanliness. Even when removed they often come back anyway.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby sotiredofthis » 24 Feb 2013, 10:50

Glad things are still going well for you despite the constipation episode. I see my CRS again on Tuesday and will see what the says at that time. I have a list of questions for him. Never thought my life would revolve so much around my bum!!
Blessings on your continued healing!
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33