Still have the burn!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Still have the burn!

Postby Deleted User 1775 » 23 Feb 2013, 15:37

Ok here I go again! I am going on five months after lis surgery. I have seen a second CRS and she said she could not see a fissure or skin tags or the incision site. I was very happy. But why do I still have the burning feeling? She gave me no answers since she didn't see anything. She told me to see a gastro doctor. Has anyone who had lis surgery have the burning months after surgery? It doesn't burn right after a BM but happens a hour or so after and last all day until night when I lay in bed. Worse when I sit to long or workout. Any information would be helpful. Oh and it's not the food I eat that I know off. I only drink water eat no dairy or gluten, no red meat and no restaurant food. No juice, tomatoes, coffee or tea that is acidic. Help please! It's as bad when I had a fissure.
Deleted User 1775

Re: Still have the burn!

Postby suzyljank » 23 Feb 2013, 16:22

Hi, I had LIS in 2008, unfortunately for me I only got a small amount of improvement. I was able to manage until this past year. The inability of the area to stretch properly to have a bm causes spasms and burning. Not during a bm but sometimes a few hours after. I've found coconut oil helps tremendously with the burning and a heating pad helps the spasms some but I'm going for a consult on advancement flap surgery to help with the scar tissue left behind from the hemmie surgery and the LIS. A chronic anal fissure causes scar tissue too. When it tears and heals and tears repeatedly scar tissue forms, it can't be avoided. The longer you have the fissure the more scar tissue. I wish surgeons would explain more fully the procedures they do and what exactly to expect after. I remember when I had LIS, he told me it would be a few weeks for recovery but after the surgery he explained that the fissure itself wouldn't ever be 100% after it healed and it could take up to 2 years to get to 85%. Are your bms normal size or thin? If they are very thin I would ask your doctor about stenosis. I hope you find some relief. If you haven't tried coconut oil it might be worth a try, it won't hurt anything. All the best Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby becsbum » 23 Feb 2013, 22:21

I wonder if there could be something going on with your nerves down there? This is interesting to me, as my main symptom this whole time has been a burning or raw feeling when I sit. (Sometimes at other times too, but sitting is the worst). I had LIS 2.5 weeks ago and so far no change to that but it is still early yet. Are your symptoms the same as when you did have an AF?
becsbum
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby sgtsparky » 23 Feb 2013, 23:52

I still get an occasional burn which the Dr. has simply stated as rawness from "pruritus ani." I've have this for 2 years since my LIS. I just learned of 2 new creams however which have helped a lot. Try Balneol to cleanse the area and Calmoseptine to keep it cool and prevent irritation. Really worth a shot
sgtsparky
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Deleted User 1775 » 24 Feb 2013, 12:04

Thank you everyone. Suzy I have tried coconut oil it only helped a little bit. I have better luck with bag balm. No my bm's are normal size. It is so frustrated with this burn. Did your fissure heal? The CRS said she doesn't see a fissure. But that burn is the same as when I had a fissure. Going to the bathroom has been great for me, its thru out the day is when i get burning/ irritation. It's bad when I set to long or workout. I hope you can get some relief soon. It sounds like you been dealing with this for sometime.
Becsbum, I was thinking the same thing. Is your burning worse about a hour or so after a BM? It also bothers me if I sit to long,stand a long time or workout. The only time I feel normal down there is when I go to bed and in the morning before a BM. I have had the burning when I had the fissure to. I just went to a new CRS and she said she didn't see any fissures. She just said it looks red and irritated but said she doesn't deal with that. Lis did help knock on wood going to the bathroom occasionally I will get a little blood but not like it use to. It's just this burning rawness feel. Well let me know what you find out when you see your CRS.
Sgtsparky, I will look into those creams you mention. I am seeing a gastro dr in may he has a long wait but I want to see someone good. The CRS was not willing to help me with the redness or irritation she said she does not deal with that. Told me to see a gastro. Have you been fissure free for two years? Do you get the irritation all the time? what makes it worse? I looked up pruritus ani and it said it causes a severe itch. I don't have a itch just rawness/ burn do you have a itch? Did you have the burning with your fissure?
Deleted User 1775

Postby sgtsparky » 24 Feb 2013, 12:14

I don't have the itch either. The fissure is gone, its just constantly raw, causing that burning feeling. With the help of those creams its dried out a bit and most of the burning feeling has gone away so far. I think its just acidic fluids irritating the raw skin which causes it. A little bit of metamucil can help soak up the fluids as well
sgtsparky
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby becsbum » 24 Feb 2013, 12:34

I am also best when I go to bed and when I first wake up. However for me what starts it is sitting...I'm fine until I have to sit. Then I feel bad for a while. Monday I sat for about 4 hours and have been feeling worse since then (slightly improving each day as I've been avoiding sitting almost completely). Driving is the worst. My fissure may very well still be there, since I haven't had a doctor look at me yet. I know my doc said usually the nerve trouble feels more like you are sitting on a golf ball, but I imagine there can be variation. I just noticed you wrote you have redness and irritation, so I think it very well could be a skin thing for you, and something topical may help! I don't think a nerve problem would be visible on the skin.
becsbum
Salt Bather

Topics: 5