Pre BM lubrication

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Pre BM lubrication

Postby CrackinUp » 27 Feb 2013, 16:05

Howdy all. One thing I keep reading on here is many of you use lubrication before having a BM. When I went to see my CRS he didn't mention anything about this and thought some of the things I asked about where whacky to say the least.
All I've been doing during the last 4 weeks is eating well, using Nitro and drinking lots of water (normal for me). I seem to be healing really well, and as I read peoples stories I cant help wondering if all the messing around with substances up your backside is doing more harm than good.
Is it possible the additional interference of a lubricated finger is disturbing the healing process each day? Interested in your thoughts :)
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Re: Pre BM lubrication

Postby jr2 » 27 Feb 2013, 16:11

yeah, a lot of it is wacky to someone who has never had the pain of a fissure. And it's wacky to all of us who would love nothing more than not to have to go through these complex protocols just to go to the bathroom every day. And yes, one has to measure the potential risk of anything they try. But from my experience of having fissures that come and go for nearly 30 years and having experimented with just about everything known to mankind about fissures, I know that the lubricating before a BM serves both to protect the area and to help the muscle remember how to relax. Over the years I've tried doing without it, and things get significantly worse for me.
But it is a valid point. Everyone has to kind of figure out what works and doesn't work for them.
Last edited by jr2 on 27 Feb 2013, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby suzyljank » 27 Feb 2013, 16:14

Hi you don't have to insert your finger to lubricate, just make sure you lubricate the opening well and it works just as good. This cause no harm at all.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby coconut » 27 Feb 2013, 17:09

There are plenty of home cures which do more harm than good to many people who try them. A lot of the "Look what cured me!" posts list some of these cures. I caused myself real harm trying home herbal remedies before joining this board. But I think its also important to understand that doctors don't understand much about this disorder. So a lot of the experimenting on our parts is necessary. clearly, there are a lot of different kinds of fissues. We all respond to different things.
I'm very careful about what I try now, but I think that most chronic sufferers are going to go through a couple of harmful things before they hit the right balance of helpful things. You just have to try until you find something that works for you. So take all the advice here with a bit of caution and only try what seems right to you.
I lubricated pre-bm for a while with Vaseline and then honey. It did no harm. For a while, I used lidocaine down there pre-bm, too and that was helpful.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby marg6043 » 27 Feb 2013, 18:20

CrackinUp, well some things work while not for others.
One of things I remember this last weekend that probably irritated and re tear my healing fissure that was on last Friday I decided to stop all the lubrication, sitz bath and my toilet routine to see how it was.
Now I know that it was not a good idea, I need the lubrication and I guess this is the way is going to be to keep my fissure calm and happy, I am dealing now with a minor set back but I will survive.
The lubrication keeps my anal area nice and soft, actually I even took a mirror to see how it was after the mild retear and I have never seen the area so soft and almost normal compare to the way it was when my fissure was fresh and the area swollen. So maybe wacky but it works for me.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby nurseebol » 27 Feb 2013, 23:01

I use the coconut suppositories someone recommended. And my CRS has me doing cocoa butter and zinc supps, which doing at bedtime, essentially does lubricate. For the with the coconut oil, the difference has been night and day. God bless whoever came up with that one!
nurseebol
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby CrackinUp » 28 Feb 2013, 03:15

Perhaps living with a fissure for some time and understanding it enabled safe application of this type of thing. I'm a novice fissure owner and am too scared to poke around not knowing what I'm doing.
I just hear so many conflicting stories and it's doing my head in. Some people lubricate which would then put a moist film over the fissure, which according to others would stop it healing as the area needs to be dry.
Bah, if I'm not healed in 2 more weeks I'm going under the knife. LIS all the way. Can't be doing with all this guessing and constant ups/downs. Through whatever means I have a problem with my ass and I quite possibly need surgery to correct it. I've had enough of home treatment already... I want my life back!
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby coconut » 28 Feb 2013, 08:38

CrackinUp wrote:Perhaps living with a fissure for some time and understanding it enabled safe application of this type of thing. I'm a novice fissure owner and am too scared to poke around not knowing what I'm doing.
I just hear so many conflicting stories and it's doing my head in. Some people lubricate which would then put a moist film over the fissure, which according to others would stop it healing as the area needs to be dry.
Bah, if I'm not healed in 2 more weeks I'm going under the knife. LIS all the way. Can't be doing with all this guessing and constant ups/downs. Through whatever means I have a problem with my ass and I quite possibly need surgery to correct it. I've had enough of home treatment already... I want my life back!

Is that thing about needing to be dry coming from multiple people on the boards or just from that one poster who said that he uses gauze in his rectum? I try to make sure that information is coming from more than one source before I believe it. There are so many people here who really have been helped by something that would not help most people. It can get confusing. My understanding is that this part of the body requires lubrication, which the body provides by creating mucus. Wetness is bad, but the moisture provided by non-gel creams and such is good.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Rachael 1984 » 28 Feb 2013, 08:38

That's what is doing my head in too! I try one thing and it doesn't work.. Then another, all the conflicting stories....
This is damn awful! I wanna laugh and go back to my normal self!!
Crackin are you paying privately to have LIS? Let me know if so! I am seriously considering putting it on credit to get my life back! I am scared that I could potentially mess around another god knows how many months and still not be healed!
Agh! My head and my butt hurt
Last edited by Rachael 1984 on 28 Feb 2013, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby CrackinUp » 28 Feb 2013, 08:57

Could be coconut... my problem is i read stuff all day and then forget where I heard it! At the end of the day I have a ridiculously tight inner buttox and if it doesn't slacken off soon with the Nitro then it needs to be sliced and diced.... chop chop. I've had an operation before and its nothing to worry about (won't go into detail as it was down there as well).
If it happens I will be paying private Rachael. I have read on here that the actual procedure is only Ј250! However there will be other associated costs; room, nurses, anaesthetist. I think it'll all tally up to somewhere between Ј1,000 and Ј2,000 but that is just a guess.
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist