LIS surgery tomorrow - My story and post surgery journal

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS surgery tomorrow - My story and post surgery journal

Postby tojo78 » 27 Feb 2013, 18:39

SteveR.. Ya I would imagine if you are passing a lot of wind, that would be a definite cause of some leakage. I never really thought about that until you mentioned it in your last post. I think I am in the same situation. But it sounds like you are pulling through this well otherwise. I know the leakage thing is almost always temporary but it can be a bit mentally stressing at times.
tojo78
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Day 6

Postby tojo78 » 27 Feb 2013, 18:49

Today was just a rotten day all around. Most of it didn't have anything to do with my LIS recovery but I won't bother you with all that. I woke up this morning and had some cramping in my stomach. Having IBS for a number of years, I knew what was coming next and I was a bit fearful of how everything down there would hold up. Well I was right; I had diarrhea! Must of been the pizza I had last night. No pain during my time on the throne, but my area down there did sting/hurt for most of the day afterwards. So this is the most pain I have had in my bottom since 24 hours after surgery. I am glad I stopped the Miralax because I can't imagine what kind of mess that would have made! Amazingly, I had less leakage today than yesterday which was a plus. I almost hope I don't have a BM tomorrow so I give that area a rest. So I guess it could have been worse, just a small setback of sorts.
tojo78
Salt Bather

Maybe some bad news

Postby tojo78 » 27 Feb 2013, 20:02

I am now very concerned that I have developed an abscess. I have had some mild pain all day since my diarrhea episode. I felt around the area to make sure there was nothing else going on and I ended up finding a tender semi-firm lump right on the inside of my anus. I guess I will have to call my CRS tomorrow and go get it checked out. I hope this doesn't end up being a major setback
tojo78
Salt Bather

Postby tojo78 » 27 Feb 2013, 21:39

Sorry for all the posts. Just wanted to add some additional information about my lump I noticed today. It appears to be around the 3 o'clock position slightly inside my anus. Not sure we're my LIS incision site is in relation. I cannot feel any pain unless I flex my anal muscle or I touch it. Not having any other symptoms that are readily apparent. It's probably the size of a pea or a touch bigger. I can move it around and it feels like there is something somewhat hardish on the inside of it. It's just weird that I started to notice it today after my bout of diarrhea so I am hoping its just an irritation of the incision site and not an abscess. With my luck, it's an abscess. Positive thoughts always welcomed!
tojo78
Salt Bather

Postby tojo78 » 28 Feb 2013, 11:43

I called the after hours number listed for my CRS and was patched through to his nurse who was with him. I think he was prepping for surgery with another patient. I told the nurse what was going on and he said for me to take a hot bath and he would call me back when he was finished. That was 4.5 hours ago and I hope he calls back soon. I took the hot bath and it did make things feel alittle better. I don't feel the pain unless I flex the muscle down there or try to touch it. I am not sure what this could be besides an abscess which really worries me. As the song goes.. The waiting is the hardest part...
tojo78
Salt Bather

Postby Tash » 28 Feb 2013, 12:52

Hi Tojo78
I sure hope everything is ok. Keep us posted on what you find out. Did u have any stitches maybe that is what you are feeling. I had my LIS yesterday and I have a couple of stitches where he did the cut.
Tash
Fibre Addict

Postby tojo78 » 28 Feb 2013, 16:48

Tash.. Thanks for your kind words. I didn't have stitches, until today. Will explain in my next post :D
tojo78
Salt Bather

Day 7 (1 week)

Postby tojo78 » 28 Feb 2013, 17:06

So you all have seen my semi-panicky posts about this bump I had. I won't rehash all of that. I did see my CRS today at 3:30. My CRS has been in surgery since early this morning and drove all the way across town to see me today. His nurse stayed over her shift as well. I am truly thankful for their flexibility with me. The best part was, they thought nothing of it and we're happy to see me. Anyways, I do not have an abscess. I had its ugly cousin the thrombotic internal hemorrhoid. Probably caused by my initial constipation and then massive blow out of diarrhea. He said it was pretty small and that I could leave it or he could remove it. My exact words were, "lets get rid if the damn thing!" Procedure took at 10 minutes and wasn't too big of a deal. The worst part was when he injected the local into the hemorrhoid. Can we say OUCH! But after that no problems. They stitched me up and that was it. He said the fissure is still there but that's to be expected and everything else looked good. He told me no more Miralax and to get the stool softeners that are gel caps. I asked him if I should continue the fiber therapy pills (4 to 6 a day) and he said take them for the rest if my life if I want due to the other benefits fiber brings other than helping you BMs. I need to start taking more warm baths for 20 mins at a time. So on work days I will try to get 2 in and weekends 3-4 until I see him again in 2 weeks.
So all in all not as bad as I thought I could be. I can already feel the local wearing off so I think the baths and a few pain killers here and there for a few days will be in order. I pray for no more setbacks as this one almost drove me insane!
tojo78
Salt Bather

Postby Tash » 28 Feb 2013, 17:49

I'm glad to hear you didn't have an abscess. It's so nice when you have such a good Dr and their staff. Try to take it as easy as possible and don't over do it. Hopefully soon this will all be over for you. Image
Tash
Fibre Addict

Postby SteveR » 28 Feb 2013, 23:39

I'm really glad things have worked out and you have such a great doctor! My goodness - I'm an advocate of the British NHS system here, but I would have never been able to see someone so quickly.
Hopefully recovery from this will be quick.
Good luck also reducing your Miralax. Listening to your story, I have reduced slightly the amount I take and will start very very slowly reducing mine.
SteveR
Salt Bather

Topics: 14