Incomplete bowel movements

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Incomplete bowel movements

Postby Luka » 26 Feb 2013, 15:45

Thanks everyone for the information.
I've heard about squatting, but never tried it. Might give it a shot!
My fissure is a bit different from other people on here in that it doesn't really hurt when I have a bm and I've never had any bleeding ever. There may be some slight burning pain, but not horrible pain like I have with the spasms afterward at times. Generally, I don't have any pain with bms, though (may be the position of the fissure... I honestly don't know). It was like that when I first got the fissure, too (which is why my regular doctor didn't think I had a fissure, but the CRS I saw afterward said I did because of the spasm pain).
I don't think I have any internal hemorrhoids because I got a digital rectal exam (by my regular doctor) last month and he didn't feel anything (no lumps or anything out of the ordinary). I rarely have trouble with constipation, also.
Anyway, I am going to give stool softeners a try this week and see if that makes a difference in my stools so I have a little easier time going.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby CrackinUp » 27 Feb 2013, 04:36

Luka I had 4 movements this morning... 4! Then felt like it was all completely out and an hour or so later my IBS decides I should be having a 5th! I think not!
Been a bit more tender today, although not painful. Applying my GTN seemed to sting a bit, not sure that's a good sign!
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby jrb » 27 Feb 2013, 09:40

I'm having a very similar problem this week. I have what I think is a complete bm first thing in the AM. But then I notice a sharp pain soon after (diff than spasms)-this is persistent, like there's a little shard of glass in there. So I try going again, even though I don't feel the urge, I'm learning that's what that pain means. But whatever ends up coming out is still soft.
I'm not sure what to do or why this is suddenly a problem. Could it be too much fiber? I do know that this incomplete bm can hinder healing of an AF. My CR told me that any bits of stool left sitting inside dry it out and prevent healing... Plus all the extra straining... Good luck! I'll let u know if I figure anything out.
Ps There are whole sites like this one w/ people discussing "incomplete evacuation" issues.
jrb
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby enough is enough » 27 Feb 2013, 22:02

This is exactly what I experienced on and off for years, thanks to chronic fissures, and it was just maddening! It's the internal (involuntary) sphincter muscle spasming and tightening before everything has a chance to evacuate. There's nothing like trying to get on with your day feeling like you're sitting on a painful golf ball. Image
I had LIS surgery on 2/15/13. At 12 days post-op, my incomplete evacuation issue has stopped completely. My unsolicited advice is to find a board-certified colo-rectal surgeon you like and trust. Research their online patient evaluations and track record, and if everything checks out, go for it. I put off my LIS for years, and I am so happy I finally had it done. I've had minimal pain (I took 5 hydrocodone over the first 2 days, then switched to plain old ibuprofen), and absolutely no issues with incontinence.
All best wishes for a speedy recovery!
enough is enough
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Luka » 28 Feb 2013, 00:39

Hi enough is enough,
Glad to hear LIS helped you! I've heard it's helped a lot of people on here. How long did you have your fissure before you got LIS?
I don't have this bowel movement issue all the time, thankfully. It's just annoying when it happens. >_< Also, I just got my fissure around Christmas-time (ugh), so I'm fairly early in my journey. I'm on Diltiazem ointment, which seems to be helping, although I have a few more weeks to go.
LIS is a last resort for me. It's not something I would just jump into (I don't have the money for it, anyway, as I currently have no health insurance, and... frankly, surgery on my butt scares the HECK out of me). I will only do it if all else fails. If I was in excruciating pain all the time with no relief (like I was a couple of days during Christmas when this first started for me), though, I would DEFINITELY get the LIS ASAP. As it stands, though, I'm doing better and the pain is on and off and tolerable. It's definitely a slow healing process, though, and some days are better than others. Just gotta remain positive and hopeful. :D
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby CrackinUp » 28 Feb 2013, 03:09

enough is enough, if I don't heal fully in the next 2-4 weeks I will be scheduling LIS as soon as it can be done. They can stick Botox where the sun doesn't shine... err or not in this case!
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion