LIS this morning

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS this morning

Postby toomuch » 04 Mar 2013, 08:29

Hi all. I had my LIS done this morning with the surgeon telling me after that it was a chronic fissure that would never have healed any other way. Apparently, he 'roughed up' the edges and did a LIS. He has made a note on my report to say it could be a couple of months to fully heal due to severity of it.
I had burst into tears as soon as the lady took me to my room so felt completely stupid but they were all really great. I was so scared! At the moment all I have had is 2 paracetamol's 3 hours ago and although it is sore it is not as bad as I was expecting. I have not yet even thought about a BM and the thought of that makes me feel shaky actually. I can't sit down comfortably, I am lying on the sofa. Due to take some more pain relief in a minute and also if it gets bad I have been told to take Codeine with caution.
I am very grateful to everyone who has commented or has put their own story on here as it made me go to see the Surgeon after all these years. I know that it will be worse over the next few days and I am expecting that but slightly relieved that I am not bouncing off the wall with pain right now.
toomuch
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: LIS this morning

Postby marg6043 » 04 Mar 2013, 08:42

toomuch Thanks for taking the time to post after just having LIS surgery.
I see that after the doctor went in there he actually got to see the extend of your fissure and see that it was very chronic.
I am glad you chose surgery, hopefully you will heal well and life will get back to be normal for you.
Take your medications to avoid pain, remember that you are on medication from the surgery and do not let the area wake up fully because by other members account it can be very painful right after surgery.
Rest and take care of yourself, keep us posted when you have the time and energy and we wish you the best fast and easy recovery.
Image Image
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Tash » 04 Mar 2013, 12:21

Hi too much
I glad you are home and now the worst part is behind you trust me.. I was in your shoes last Wednesday. My dr told me the same thing I would not have healed without the surgery. You need to give yourself some time for the emotional part to settle down now that you had the surgery. Just make sure u drink lots of water take your stool softener and fiber and eat even though u r probably like me not very hungry after all this. Try to go as easy as possible on the pain killers because they can cause constipation. I was able to just take over the counter pain relief and did 1/2 a percoset at night. Lots of soaking in the tub does help too. Do you know if you have any stitches or if he left it open?
Tash
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby enough is enough » 04 Mar 2013, 14:08

Good for you! I'm glad you're on the other side - the anticipation is much worse than the recovery. I felt the most tired the day after the surgery; make sure you get lots of rest, and take your pain pills as you need them. Congratulations!!
enough is enough
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby toomuch » 05 Mar 2013, 07:55

I am resting although today I feel like a bit of a fraud! I am taking my pain relief regularly and drinking loads. I have eaten, although every mouthful made me feel anxious as I know what goes in has to come out and I am worried about that bit.
He nipped off the skin tag as well as the LIS and roughing up. I cant see the area properly other than angling mirrors and I can't see any stitches. I don't have a follow up appointment so I don't think there can be any stitches.
I am hoping that it isn't going to get any worse than today but am prepared if it does. Today I just feel such relief that I actually went through with it and hopeful that this is the start of feeling like myself again.
toomuch
Fibre Addict

Postby PIA » 05 Mar 2013, 08:16

So glad for you. Keep water and stool softeners a priority till you get more healing. Xx PIA
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby toomuch » 06 Mar 2013, 13:44

I am surprisingly well today. Absolutely knackered and had several sleeps Image Had a BM yesterday, panicked when I realised it was going to happen but it wasn't as bad as it was pre LIS. I have continued with the pain killers, not taking any stool softeners, but stools fairly soft anyway due to diet. Have reduced the bread in my diet.
Another BM this evening, again not too bad. Beginning to think that maybe the pain was all in my head as this is just so unbeleivably comfortable in comparison to how I have been up to now. I do keep having little spasms that make me wince but they go so quickly.
I really would not have done this without all of you, so Thankyou all so very much. I may actually be getting my life back. Image
toomuch
Fibre Addict

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 06 Mar 2013, 16:43

Bravo! I hope very soon that all of this is just a distant memory.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby owmybum » 06 Mar 2013, 16:59

That's sooo good to hear!
OMB xx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby coconut » 06 Mar 2013, 18:37

Woohoo!
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12