Why did doc tell me to take Metamucil plus miralax?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Why did doc tell me to take Metamucil plus miralax?

Postby delasama » 03 Mar 2013, 16:17

crs told me to take miralax and Metamucil until he can see me.im guessing he wanted me to take the Metamucil so that the miralax won't give me diarrhea? I take capful of miralax morning and night and my poop is small and fluffy which feels good.my question is should I start taking Metamucil also?
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Re: Why did doc tell me to take Metamucil plus miralax?

Postby Stratocaster » 04 Mar 2013, 12:17

Metamucil is probably useless. IMHO its a terrible product. Miralax has made things soft for me where as metamucil makes things bulky and scratchy. I'd say if things are soft and fluffy just use miralax.
Stratocaster
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 6

Postby CrackinUp » 04 Mar 2013, 12:21

If it aint broke don't fix it as far as the fissure is concerned... :)
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby coconut » 04 Mar 2013, 12:26

delasama wrote:crs told me to take miralax and Metamucil until he can see me.im guessing he wanted me to take the Metamucil so that the miralax won't give me diarrhea? I take capful of miralax morning and night and my poop is small and fluffy which feels good.my question is should I start taking Metamucil also?

My CRS told me that bulking agents are to make the stool larger on purpose with the intention of being somewhat of a natural anal dilator. I looked up metamucil, though, and it is almost all soluble fiber, which does not add bulk. Instead it speeds up the digestive process by stimulating the colon to push the food through. I used wheat bran for that purpose.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby jr2 » 04 Mar 2013, 12:39

Metamucil is kind of the standard response given by doctors for regularity. It's just sort of their knee jerk, go-to recommendation. The majority of people I've known with fissures, including myself, have not had success with it. Metamucil will bulk up stool, mostly because of its insoluble fiber content. Psyllium is a 70-30 blend of soluble to insoluble fiber. For me, acacia fiber works far better because it is 100% soluble fiber, doesn't bulk up stool at all, but keeps it soft and easy to pass with no scratching.
Wheat bran was a similar disaster for me as the Metamucil because it is almost entirely insoluble fiber, which made far more bulkier, scratchy BMs.
But as with everything, everyone has to experiment to see what works for their own body.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby delasama » 04 Mar 2013, 13:51

Thanks for all of replies! I will look into acacia fiber..
delasama
King Fissure

Postby jr2 » 04 Mar 2013, 16:13

if you do try it, my favorite brand is Heather's. You have to learn how to get it blended completely so it doesn't form clumps, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy, tasteless, and doesn't thicken in the glass. It's just like drinking a glass of water. I add the acacia to the glass first, then vigorously stir with a fork while slowly adding water. I keep stirring vigorously until it is totally dissolved. You apparently can also add it to soups, smoothies, oatmeal, etc., since it has no taste. It clumps if you try to add the acacia to the water instead of the water to the acacia.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby delasama » 04 Mar 2013, 16:27

Cool thanks for the info!
delasama
King Fissure