Fissurectomy and Dialatation Today Pre and Post Log

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Day 3 Post Op

Postby T0rn » 03 Mar 2013, 09:56

Finally had a BM this morning. Didn't feel like much actually came out considering I had two and a half days of food in there but once I had a look there was more than I thought came out. The whole event was no big deal really. A small amount of pain during and a titch of burning/pain afterward but no blood and not even a tenth of the pain that I was dealing with on a daily basis. I jumped in the shower right afterward and basically and just let the water run past the area and really that was it. I so badly hope everything continues as it has been going.
T0rn
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Day 7 Post Op

Postby T0rn » 07 Mar 2013, 08:55

Plugging along after surgery ok. BM's have become very regular again and occasionally I will have 2 BM's in one day. Basically been following my regimen of fibre in the morning and evening via either MetaMucil or chewable fibre gummies, Stool softener with breakfast. Restoralax at lunch, Stool softener at dinner. as per surgeons instructions.
There is a very slight pain during BM and sometimes a trace of blood. There is a bit more pain now afterward for a little while up to an hour or so but definitely nothing compared to the pain I was dealing with daily. If I jump in the shower or bathtub directly after BM this pain goes away almost immediately. The pain is different than before as in it is up inside I would guesstimate it to be in the inner side of the involuntary sphincter muscle. I also feel an ache in the same place if I don't get the washroom immediately when feeling the urge for BM. The surgeon told me it would get worse before getting better.
The surgery site continues to drain so I've been continuing to tuck a 3"x3" non woven sponge gauze square in my butt crack to keep drainage away from the opening and away from the skin. Hospital recommended Kotex pads but since I wear boxers, there is no place to put them. I can tuck the square exactly where I need it to be. I go through maybe 4 per day. I find if I do a lot of sitting, there is more drainage so I've been trying very hard to remain in the horizontal position everyday for as long as I can stand it. I'm naturally a busy body so I get very jittery if I just lay around all day. Especially if I'm feeling better than I have in a year! Anyway, I guess that's it for now. Thanks again for all the support!
T0rn
Fibre Addict

Re: Fissurectomy and Dialatation Today Pre and Post Log

Postby Aj-male » 29 Mar 2013, 17:57

How do you feel now?
Do you feel a discomfort and pressure down there, when walking or sitting?
I feel that
I had my surgery about the same time, but also with fissure surgery
Aj-male
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby T0rn » 30 Mar 2013, 10:45

Aj-male wrote:How do you feel now?
Do you feel a discomfort and pressure down there, when walking or sitting?
I feel that
I had my surgery about the same time, but also with fissure surgery

Hello Aj-male
Yes, I still feel some discomfort and pressure when sitting and walking. It's not even a fraction of the pain (agony) I was dealing with for 8 to 10 hours a day pre-surgery though.
T0rn
Fibre Addict

1 Month Post OP

Postby T0rn » 30 Mar 2013, 10:47

So it's been a month since surgery and dilatation. I'm still taking fibre twice daily and Restoralax once daily. Stool softener is no longer being taken. Am I back to 100%? No. I still feel some very minor irritation during BM almost not worth noting but none the less. I try and time my BM as best as possible to be in morning at home so I can immediately jump in shower to clean the area. I still ONLY use moistened flushable baby wipes. I am also still tucking the 3"x3" gauze sterilized sponges to catch any "Wound Snot" as the surgeon calls it which still oozes if I sit for long periods of time or stand for long periods of time. The overnight one vary rarely has anything on it in the morning. There is no more blood at BM or during the day and the surgeon said everything looks good at my 2wk post follow-up.
One thing that has changed is the feeling just before having a BM. When I feel the urge to go, it feels different than it used to. It is slightly painful but not sharp or bad maybe just a bit of pressure if that makes sense, just different. I also think that when I do feel this urge coming on for a BM, it feels like I have less time to get the job done. May all be in my head though.
On the whole, I am feeling sooooooo much better! I started back to work this week so time will tell if that will aggravate things but so far, so good. I would not hesitate knowing what I know now, to recommend this procedure to anyone that was suffering the way I was. Hopefully, as the weeks go by the VERY MINOR discomfort that I have now will fade away.
T0rn
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 30 Mar 2013, 11:20

'Wound Snot' Love it, so to speak Image
Glad you are doing well!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222