Can someone explain to me this? Why does diarrhea cause AF?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Can someone explain to me this? Why does diarrhea cause AF?

Postby wildwildwest » 07 Mar 2013, 03:33

I developed my first AF while I was in the hospital 3 years ago; was on mega IV antibiotics and consequently had severe diarrhea. When I was finally discharged to home I started noticing the pain; slight at first but then became brutal. Why does diarrhea cause AFs?
And by the way, I think I am almost healed from the latest (2nd) episode. What worked for me was this: Daily (3-4) doses of Benefiber (Costco generic brand-dextrin), along with twice daily doses of stool softener (generic brand of Colace which is Ducosate Sodium). Lots of liquids during the day; applying generous lidocaine cream before and after a BM, and also the nitroglycerin cream after each BM. It seems the very slight pain that I have now has moved more to the exterior, just inside the anus. The lidocaine cream also seems to not only stop the pain, but also lubricates.
I have a colonoscopy scheduled for next week, and I am absolutely terrified that the procedure will possibly traumatize and/or re-injure the AF. Yet, I know sooner or later a comprehensive exam of the area is necessary. I think I will reschedule the colonoscopy a few months down the road. I'm doing better, at least for now. Is there another exam procedure for this area other than the colonoscopy?
wildwildwest
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Can someone explain to me this? Why does diarrhea cause AF?

Postby CrackinUp » 07 Mar 2013, 05:15

I'm no expert, but from what I have read the diarrhea irritates your anus and forms an ulcer, which can then split / tear easily when you finally have a solid BM.
This is how I got my fissure too. I love all things which annoy my IBS, such as spices, red wine, cheeses etc. I'm sure I can have them again in the future but I will definitely need to moderate them.
Oh boy what I could do to a nice curry and bottle of red. Them were the days!!
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby wildwildwest » 07 Mar 2013, 05:22

CrackinUp wrote:I'm no expert, but from what I have read the diarrhea irritates your anus and forms an ulcer, which can then split / tear easily when you finally have a solid BM.
This is how I got my fissure too. I love all things which annoy my IBS, such as spices, red wine, cheeses etc. I'm sure I can have them again in the future but I will definitely need to moderate them.
Oh boy what I could do to a nice curry and bottle of red. Them were the days!!

Oh, and as I am probably coming down with sort of GERD, Gastroesophageal reflux disease I can't have even lemons, ornages tomatoes, onions, tomatoes, garic, eggs (yolks) and coffee and tee, fried foods, spicy foods... very very sad...
wildwildwest
Fibre Addict

Postby saintkilledher » 07 Mar 2013, 07:37

wildwildwest sounds like you have developed candida after taking atibiotics and candida causes AF's in alot of people...do you have a white coated tongue
saintkilledher
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby jr2 » 07 Mar 2013, 10:16

Diarrhea can cause a fissure because it often causes straining at the anus as it passes through. The muscle can be forced to snap open quickly with the urgency that accompanies diarrhea. It's kind of similar in a way to passing a large stool that over-stretches the muscle.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby GGky1959 » 07 Mar 2013, 16:49

wildwildwest wrote:I developed my first AF while I was in the hospital 3 years ago; was on mega IV antibiotics and consequently had severe diarrhea. When I was finally discharged to home I started noticing the pain; slight at first but then became brutal. Why does diarrhea cause AFs?
And by the way, I think I am almost healed from the latest (2nd) episode. What worked for me was this: Daily (3-4) doses of Benefiber (Costco generic brand-dextrin), along with twice daily doses of stool softener (generic brand of Colace which is Ducosate Sodium). Lots of liquids during the day; applying generous lidocaine cream before and after a BM, and also the nitroglycerin cream after each BM. It seems the very slight pain that I have now has moved more to the exterior, just inside the anus. The lidocaine cream also seems to not only stop the pain, but also lubricates.
I have a colonoscopy scheduled for next week, and I am absolutely terrified that the procedure will possibly traumatize and/or re-injure the AF. Yet, I know sooner or later a comprehensive exam of the area is necessary. I think I will reschedule the colonoscopy a few months down the road. I'm doing better, at least for now. Is there another exam procedure for this area other than the colonoscopy?

I'm with you on this one....as to how diarrhea can cause a fissure but its true.....I had a bad habit of eating grill cheese sandwiches for lunch, I ate fried foods for dinner...no fiber no water and my way of dealing with this bad habit was to drink like clock work every single night this tea called Smooth Move. Its a dietary laxative tea. I did this for months...every night...and come morning I would have this massive explosive bm event.....that was until Jan. 8, 2013...when my fissure appeared. And we all know the story behind that......so yes, diarrhea can cause fissures.
GGky1959
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby suzyljank » 07 Mar 2013, 16:54

Hi, your anal area needs to stretch to keep muscle tone, when you have diarrhea a lot there is no need for it to stretch, then when you do have a larger stool it's not used to stretching and you can tear. Explosive type bms can cause a tear too because it doesn't give the muscle enough time to accomodate. It's good to lubricate the area if you have diarrhea to keep the acidity from making the skin raw. Even if you don't have a fissure this can help. Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby wildwildwest » 11 Mar 2013, 01:08

Thanks for all of your kind responses. I put a call in to my doctor about the colonoscopy; a nurse finally called me back. I had wanted to talked to the doctor (young resident) about perhaps a different "procedure" was in order in view of the AF rearing its ugly head.
The nurse said: "Unfortunately, once you have an AF you will have it for life.... stay hydrated... sitz baths... blahblahblah...good hygiene is absolutely required"
I immediately wanted to dial the local suicide hotline after talking to her... no hope... ???
wildwildwest
Fibre Addict

Postby GGky1959 » 12 Mar 2013, 16:49

wildwildwest wrote:Thanks for all of your kind responses. I put a call in to my doctor about the colonoscopy; a nurse finally called me back. I had wanted to talked to the doctor (young resident) about perhaps a different "procedure" was in order in view of the AF rearing its ugly head.
The nurse said: "Unfortunately, once you have an AF you will have it for life.... stay hydrated... sitz baths... blahblahblah...good hygiene is absolutely required"
I immediately wanted to dial the local suicide hotline after talking to her... no hope... ???

I'm quickly learning this is a lifetime event in our lives, but with healthy eating, it can be overcome. I steered away for a few weeks and am now realizing, its a old foe that will be with me for the rest of my life....and no amount of surgery, will heal me...I must eat properly in order to stay on top of this thing, we all must and water and fiber are essential in this journey, no if and's or but's about it. I've literly made room in my life for my fissure, its gonna be with me for the rest of my life.
GGky1959
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25