Another surgery in 5 days

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Another surgery in 5 days

Postby thefer74 » 13 Mar 2013, 21:17

Hi
I saw another crs today for a second opinion. I was referred to this surgeon by my original CRS because he couldn't figure out why his surgery didn't work. I come to find out that the original fissure is still there and bad because he didn't do a LIS. He didn't take care of what caused the fissure in the first place. This could explain the bleeding, drainage, and endless pain and spasms. There is also a possiblity that there is another fistula but he won't know for surgery until I am under as it is too painful. He was very careful to not hurt me any more. He wants to make a tiny nick in the muscle and use laser on the fissure. The sooner we do it, the sooner it will heal and I will be painfree. If we wait any longer, I can risk having another abscess.
Since spring break is next week, he is doing it Tuesday afternoon at his surgery center under twlight sedation. He said that I should be back to teaching on Monday. I will have about 5-6 days to recover. He said that it is a much easier surgery compared to the one that I had first.
Any help on what I can expect in terms of recovery and pain, let me know. I am worried about losing bowel control but he said that it rarely happens. The prep is different. Liquid diet for almost 2 days. At least I won't have to do the enemas.
thanks
Jennifer
thefer74
Salt Bather

Topics: 22

Re: Another surgery in 5 days

Postby richibeno » 14 Mar 2013, 01:46

Hope this is it Jennifer
Your on your way to healing
All the very best of luck
I'm still getting an ache 'sore my crs last frisaid things looked fine the wound was scratched hope its not a te are get a little blood if I have more than one bm
Good luck
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby coconut » 14 Mar 2013, 07:25

Well... yae to no enemas! I wish you a successful surgery and a quick and easy recovery.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby jr2 » 14 Mar 2013, 08:48

I haven't had surgery so I can't speak from experience, but I have read about the surgical experiences of a lot of people and it really varies a lot in terms of recovery, pain levels, healing rates, etc.
You've been through so much already. I am so hoping this finally leads you to permanent healing.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby owmybum » 14 Mar 2013, 15:28

Jen,
Sorry your having to go through surgery yet again... And for something you believed in good faith had already been done.
I really hope things go smoothly for you, and your recovery is quick.
OMB xxxx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby thefer74 » 14 Mar 2013, 22:26

Hi
Thanks everyone. I research this surgery online and I hope that the recovery is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
The original surgeon called me today and wanted to know what the 2nd opinion said. I told him that it was the original fissure that never healed and it is bad. Also, the spasms are preventing the fissure from healing. He agreed with it. He said that he will stop by when I have the surgery. I have called the surgeon's office and asked that he does not allow the original surgeon to go into surgery. I feel like this surgeon should have taken care of this the first time. Instead I am undergoing a 2nd rectal surgery in under 3 months because he failed to do an LIS with the fissuretomy. Now, I have to have both. I am somewhat mad at the first surgeon.
thefer74
Salt Bather

Postby marg6043 » 15 Mar 2013, 21:26

thefer74 I never had the surgery but for what I have read also, the LIS is indeed the main reason to do the surgery for the fissure to heal.
So you should do fine this second time, unless the new doctor find something else, I believe you worry about an abscess.
Hopefully the nip in the muscle will ease the spams and the already treated fissure will have a better chance to heal.
For the tons of information I have gotten here in this board the chances for losing your bowel control are from minimal to none depending on the surgeon and most people claim that it goes away eventually as the muscle regain strength again.
I wish you the best outcome and please keep us informed of how your recovery goes.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby thefer74 » 15 Mar 2013, 21:36

Hi
I am hoping that I don't have to cancel surgery. I came down with a head cold on Wednesday. Today, the coughing started along with the muscle aches and fever. I am hoping to lay low and recover in time for surgery on Tuesday. I hate the idea of canceling it because that means 4 more months of pain until summer time. Could they do IV sedation with a cold?
thanks
thefer74
Salt Bather

Postby marg6043 » 15 Mar 2013, 22:01

thefer74 soo sorry to hear that you have a cold, I believe doctors will not perform surgery due to you immune system been compromise do to fighting the cold.
But I could be wrong.
Hopefully things will work in your favor and you will get your surgery.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby coconut » 16 Mar 2013, 12:28

thefer74 wrote:Hi
I am hoping that I don't have to cancel surgery. I came down with a head cold on Wednesday. Today, the coughing started along with the muscle aches and fever. I am hoping to lay low and recover in time for surgery on Tuesday. I hate the idea of canceling it because that means 4 more months of pain until summer time. Could they do IV sedation with a cold?
thanks

Bummer. Image Maybe they'll fit you in earlier this time since you already waited your turn?
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12