LIS & Possible Fissurectomy Tomorrow

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS & Possible Fissurectomy Tomorrow

Postby venki » 20 Mar 2013, 11:23

Hi All,
After months of pain and suffering I'm finally going under the knife tomorrow morning. I'm very nervous but at the same time excited hoping this definitely is going to help me in the long run.
The last couple of days hasn't been too good, had something close to a diarrhea(not more then 2-3 BM's but really loose stools) also feel nauseated the whole time, I feel really tired and sick but been holding on thinking tomorrow's surgery would bring an end to my misery.
The pain level has been close to 3 or 4 but it's constant(24/7) and today there was some blood while wiping. I can feel my sphincter muscles have somewhat relaxed over the last week. Does this mean they wouldn't have to do an LIS ?? I'm not sure.. But since the pain is non stop and I feel irritation and throbbing down there I'm hoping the surgery would help heal whatever is causing it.
I'll try to keep you'll posted on my recovery post op and also the procedures they do (Since the CRS hasn't confirmed yet on what they r going to do) he said EUA followed by a possible Fissurectomy and PLIS. I think fistulotomy might be a possibility since i had some leakage the last week with a swollen lymph gland close to the anus.
Please keep me in your prayers and hoping I have no complications during and post surgery...
Thank you...
venki
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: LIS & Possible Fissurectomy Tomorrow

Postby suzyljank » 20 Mar 2013, 11:27

Hi, I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery, keep positive thoughts and try to take things a day at a time. Will keep you in my prayers. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Rachael 1984 » 20 Mar 2013, 12:57

Good luck, keep us posted. In my prayers.
Rachael x
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby marg6043 » 20 Mar 2013, 14:44

Venki, I wish you an easy surgery and recovery. Hopefully you will get the problem solve and your life back to normal soon.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby venki » 21 Mar 2013, 16:14

Finally I got it done. Went in at 9 am this morning and after an hour of waiting I was taken into the operation room, given anesthesia and when I woke up after an hour and a half was told I had a Fissurectomy/Skin tag removed and a LIS. The fissure according to the CRS was pretty bad and he had to do the fissurectomy and also had put in a couple of dissolvable stitches. The LIS was closed with 2 stitches as well. And I believe the skin tag site was left open. The gauze was removed a little later. I did notice some bleeding later but nothing right now. I do experience a lot of gas but it's not like I cannot control it, neither do I want to, since once the pressure builds up it kinda hurts. I had a percocet before leaving the hospital but havent had anything since then.
I do have some pain(probably somewhere between 3-4) but I'm going to stay off until it gets worse. I've been having milkshakes and icecreams but might have soup tonight. Wife just went and picked up metamucil since the CRS asked me not to take Miralax until I feel constipated.
Will keep posting my status as and when I get time. Hoping the healing process begins immediately. I know I'm not going to recover overnight but everyday forward is going to help me heal...
venki
Fibre Addict

Postby owmybum » 21 Mar 2013, 16:43

Glad to hear its all over and done with.
Take it easy for the next few days. Remember to keep those fluids up!
Keep us posted
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby venki » 21 Mar 2013, 17:58

A quick question if anyone can help....
Is it ok to have a sitz bath today, also after sitz bath should I apply any cream...?
venki
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 21 Mar 2013, 19:16

venki, I wish you the best on your recovery, now, as for the question of taking a sitz bath, I don't think is a good idea so soon after surgery, specially with disolvable stitches done for the fissure, but I could be wrong.
Call your doctors offices before you doing anything to be sure.
Now, take your medication for pain and don't wait too long as some members experiences tells that they feel wonderful after the surgery and do not take their pain medication to suffer greatly once the pain takes hold.
So be careful.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby suzyljank » 21 Mar 2013, 19:39

I hope you have a quick recovery too. I don't think you can take a sitz until 48 hrs. after surgery unless you have a bm. You have a fresh wound and I know even if you get stitches on your hand they don't like you to get it wet right away to avoid infection. How is your pain? Try to stay ahead of it. I was told to take the meds the first 24 hours and then after that as soon as I started to feel discomfort take them. If you wait until you have full blown pain it's harder to manage. Congrats, now you're on the road to recovery and the surgery is behind you. All the best Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby coconut » 21 Mar 2013, 20:34

venki wrote:A quick question if anyone can help....
Is it ok to have a sitz bath today, also after sitz bath should I apply any cream...?

My post operative instructions were to take a bath 3-6 times a day, starting the day after the surgery.
I also had a protocol to follow if I did not have a bowel movement the next morning. Its progressive, so its "if still no BM do this..." My doctor was very strong in warning me to NOT wait to get the BMs moving again. He warned me it would hurt but that it was essential to healing long term. The anasteia will cause constipation if you let it. So will the percocet.
I don't think creams are safe to apply to open skin like that. I think it might increase irritation. After a few days, I started to clean the wound with q-tips and balneol because the squirting water was not getting in the folds of the swollen wound. After LIS, you shouldn't need your spincter relaxed more anyways. Its been surgically "relaxed."
That being said, I had a really ruff recovery, so take it for what its worth. My doctor is one of the top CRSs in the country and he's done hundreds of these surgeries. That's why he has his preferred routine written down.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12