Confused & A Bit Scared

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Confused & A Bit Scared

Postby MarkMan » 21 Mar 2013, 18:10

Hi everyone, this is an amazing forum, just wanted to say that up front. I have been having mild rectal bleeding with BMs for two years off and on. They found a benign inflammatory polyp in colonoscopy, and recently the bleeding started again with BMs, and the small polyp was removed.
But I went back for my 4 week follow up and the doc says the area still drains pus, and appears inflamed. It feels inflamed and radiates from my anus to my left buttcheeck. He wants me to have an exam under anas. He said he thinks he can remove the inflamed area fairly easily, but said if it is a fistula, it would be a lot more complicated.
I'm scared number one to have surgery, even though he told me it would be 10-15 minutes and minor, but more scared if it turns out to be a fistula. He said the reason I need the exam under anasthesia is to determine the exact nature of the inflamed area and the source of the drainage.
I know I should have had this removed two years ago when it first appeared, but since the biopsy was negative, I put it off until it started bleeding some.
Guess I should be grateful the biopsy was negative, but still worried about having to have surgery. I'm scheduled for next week.
MarkMan
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Confused & A Bit Scared

Postby marg6043 » 21 Mar 2013, 18:47

MarkMan don't be worry, just see this way, in order to avoid this abscess to get worst and turn into an all blow out fistula you need to get it fix.
If it happens to be a fistula is plenty of threads on experiences with post surgery recovery here you can read about.
Hopefully is just a mild abscess and things will be fine and recovery a breeze. :D
Please comeback and tell us your experience after your surgery and recovery.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby MarkMan » 21 Mar 2013, 19:19

Thanks marg, appreciate it! I am also hoping for the best. I was hoping the polyp removal would have solved the issue, and since it was removed, no more bleeding with BMs, which was good. But he did tell me back when he removed the polyp that he suspected an underlying abscess then, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. He said if I don't do anything, the polyp will just recur since the abscess or (god forbid) fistula is the root of the problem.
He just won't know until my exam under anas. I guess on the plus side, I'm 31, so pretty young in body & spirit, so maybe that will help me through this. And if it's just an abscess, it shouldn't be a big deal.
Could an abscess alone cause dull aching pain radiating through the buttocks, or does that sound more like a fistula. I have no visible openings or drainage on the outside, just the spot inside..
Just want to get this over with, and move on! Thanks again everyone for this wonderful forum and the info!
MarkMan
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 21 Mar 2013, 19:33

For what I have read, here, with other members suffering from fistulas and abscess the main concern is the leakage, but if you can see it from the outside that is a fistula abscesses on the outside drain and they are fine, but in the inside it's a bit more complicated and need doctors attention.
It seems that your doctor is no that worry that it could be something bad, but something that can be take care off in not time.
Hopefully that is your case and things will be taking care off.
marg6043
King Fissure

Postby MarkMan » 21 Mar 2013, 19:47

I hope so marg! With me, nothing is visible from the outside or at least the doc never told me anything, and I have never noticed anything myself. All I notice is a dull ache from inside, which radiates through my left buttock area. It is never severe or debilitating pain, and many times I don't even notice it. Never had any leakage that I know of, the only symptoms I've had were the bleeding from the polyp which was removed, and the occasional dull ache sensation.
But today when he pushed on it, it really was tender! He said he thought it was just an abscess, but if it does turn out to be fistula, I hope it's a simple one.
He said fistulas are a complicated kettle of fish. I think I have a good doctor, he took the time to answer my questions. If he did find a fistula in my exam under anes, would he repair it in addition to removing the abscess? Or would (god forbid) I need another surgery? And will I be able to go home the same day?
MarkMan
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 21 Mar 2013, 21:16

Markman most of the time once you are under anesthesia the doctor will fix what it needs to be fixed unless is a complication that I don't think will happen with you.
Now I don't know how your doctor works but If I was you I will ask him if he will fix whatever he finds on the day you are going to be having this procedure.
I had already 3 major surgeries in the last 10 years, (not fissure related) and once you get anesthesia you will not remember a thing.
Hopefully you will just wake up to a fixed bum. :D
marg6043
King Fissure

Postby owmybum » 22 Mar 2013, 08:26

Hi Markman, welcome to the forum!
Try not to worry. There are a few members on the board who have been treated for fistula s. you could always try pm' ing one of them. Richibeno is one.
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !