Have An Inflammatory Nodule/Abscess, Nervous About Surgery

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Have An Inflammatory Nodule/Abscess, Nervous About Surgery

Postby MarkMan » 21 Mar 2013, 17:59

Hi all, I'm new here, a bit about me, 31 yo male, have had good health overall, but a couple of years ago, I had rectal bleeding. I had a colonoscopy afterwards, and it showed I had a small mass. It was recommended I have it removed surgically under g.a. But I wanted a second opinion, and sought it out.
The second colorectal doc biopsied part of it, which came back benign. That was in January 2012. I had had no bleeding for nearly two years, so I figured I would put off surgery since I had no symptoms.
But in February of this year I began having bleeding with bowel movements again. I have also had this dull aching from my left buttocks which is the same side the polyp/mass is on. I went to another colorectal doc, and he did another colonoscopy. It showed the same small inflammatory polyp/nodule. He removed the eraser-sized polyp 4 weeks ago, and I came in today for my follow-up. He examined me and said there was still drainage and discharge from where the polyp was removed. He said I should have EUA with excism of the inflammatory nodule versus fistuloctomy. He said he thought upon doing the sigmo exam that it was just an inflamed nodule that should be removed, but I need the EUA to resolve it and get to the bottom of it (no pun intended).
I am relieved that it is benign (based on the biopsy of the removed polyp) but a bit worried I am hoping it does turn out to be just a minor thing and not a fistula. Would an abscess cause dull aching buttock discomfort/pain? I have no drainage that I know of, and my gut says it isn't a fistula but not sure until I have the surgery.
The doc told me that the inflammatory polyp he removed which was causing the bleeding was due to the underlying abscess/nodule whatever you want to call it. He said today when he pushed on it it drained pus and it did cause extreme sensitivity to me when he did it (and still is). He also said it bled slightly when he pushed on it.
Not sure why he couldn't have just removed the abscess/nodule when he removed the poly during the colonoscopy, guess it requires a bit more effort or something. He did tell me that my upcoming procedure would probably only take 10-15 minutes. But he said if in fact it is a fistula it could be much more complicated, which scares the hell out of me.
So I am just done with this, and want to get this over with, so I went ahead and scheduled surgery for next week. Has anyone else had an inflammatory nodule or abscess removed, and is it pretty hassle-free? What can I expect?
When I had the polyp removed, I bled slightly with bowel movements after but only the first day after, and pretty much felt recovered by the next day. I'd appreciate any advice/input! Image
MarkMan
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Have An Inflammatory Nodule/Abscess, Nervous About Surgery

Postby richibeno » 22 Mar 2013, 11:07

Hi it does sound as there may be an abscess this could have been caused by a blocked glan if there is no external opening it is draining in to the anus '
He will have to drain an remove the abscess it may leave a track called a fistula which will need removing to,they basically take off the roof off the tunnel and clean it all out it is left open to heal from the bottom out
Let us know how it goes
Here's to great healing
Health and happiness
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby MarkMan » 22 Mar 2013, 14:29

Hi rich thanks for the response. So I'm scheduled for same-day surgeryy, so would my CRS take care of the absces & remove it, & any fistula (if one exists) at the same time so I wouldn't have to have another surgery? Will I be able to go home the same day? I really don't thnk I could handle a long drawn out recovery period. What is the recovery time for abscess removal/fistulotomy?
My CRS told me he thougt it would be a simple procedure to excise the inflamed nodule/area but said if it's a fistula it's more complicated. I'm only 31 I don't want to be an invalid.
But I know I need this procedure because it is so uncomfortable. Not pain or pain with BMs, just a dull ache that doesn't go away. And when he probed it in the office yesterday with the sigmo, it really stung, like rubbing a boil or something.
Just scared about this because I've heard so many horror stories & really want to get back to living my life.
MarkMan
Fibre Addict

Postby richibeno » 22 Mar 2013, 14:37

I know how you feel .I had abscess op in Oct large one too.had a drainage Seton put in the fistula to drain off the pus ext this was for 8 weeks .I then the fistulotomy where they open the fistula tract and take off the roof and remove all the bad tissue ext this is left to heal open.
I had this on Dec 10 and am a lot better all healed OK still get some aching and a pinch now and then .also get some drainage after a bm .but I hope in the next couple of months it will get better and better these do take a long while to feel OK again
Good luck
Here's to great healing
Health and happiness
richibeno
VIP

Postby richibeno » 22 Mar 2013, 14:40

Hey if you can stay in over night I think its best
You may only have a small abscess or fistula .mine went into my internal sphinctet muscle so was a bit more involved
richibeno
VIP

Postby MarkMan » 22 Mar 2013, 15:14

Rich, I'm thinking I probably have a small one, or else why would they schedule me for same-day surgery? But I guess I can ask my doc if he recommends I stay one night, which I'd hate but guess I could do it one night. My CRS told me he thought the procedure would only take like 15 minutes, unless there's a fistula might be more complicated. Hopefully they are small.
He called it an inflammatory nodule, and seemed to think he could remove it easily. He said the polyp I had removed during my colonoscopy was only superficial, and was caused by the underlying issue, the abscess/nodule or fistula.
He just won't really know until he does my EUA. Ugh, I really hope I don't have to have a Seton, that sounds invasive and really uncomfortable. I thought setons were only for fistulas, not abscesses. So a seton is used mainly for the worst ones?
On my pre-op sheet it says "excision of inflammatory nodule verses fistulotomy" so I am hoping I will only need one procedure.
Any chance they could do this with twilight sedation, as opposed to general anas?
I do tend to be a fast healer, but I'm quite scared and don't want to be an invalid. I feel I have a good CRS, just hoping it's a minor abscess and nothing more serious.
On the positive side, the biopsy on the polyp was benign, so that is very re-assuring. Just need to get this over and done with.
How long before you could exercise, lift weights, do normal activities, eat normally, etc after the procedure, rich?
MarkMan
Fibre Addict

Postby MarkMan » 22 Mar 2013, 15:24

Oh, forgot to ask, do abscess/fistula whatever it turns out to be recur? I've had this one in the same spot for a few years, but put off doing anything about it because it was largely asymptomatic.
My CRS told me if I don't have it take care of, the inflammatory polyp will recur, just a question of time.
So I think I'm doing the right thing by addressing it.
But once an abscess/fistula is removed & heals, what are the odds of it recurring in someone my age (31)?
Thanks again, I really love this forum it is so helpful and pleasant.
MarkMan
Fibre Addict