Is anyone Gluten free?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Is anyone Gluten free?

Postby Juls814 » 24 Mar 2013, 13:10

Hi everyone. I have been reading many posts on here the past few weeks, and thank you because the most information I seem to obtain was from fellow sufferers.
I have been suffering with this pain for almost two months, first I thought it was a hemmorroid, but after a " crying fest" to my mommy ( I am 43 years old) she made me promise to go to the GI doc- who diagnosed the fissure and put me on nifedipine. He pretty much just said take stool softeners, high fiber, and try not to take Advil. To make it even more stressful, I just started a new job, which I had to take 6 days off from already from the pain.
I was wondering if anyone on here is gluten free? A few years ago I saw a nutritionist ( for other stomach issues) and she told me to follow a gluten free, dairy free diet. I was pretty strict for a bit and they were the best bowel moveents of my life :) But little by little I strayed.. RecentlyI have been getting most of my fiber from 12 grain bread, simply because I just dont want to eat ( lost 8 lbs in 10 days ) but I am wondering if there are people on here who notice if there is a difference in their movements without gluten? I am thinking that the bread is causing my hard stools..I have been eating at least the recommended amount of fiber, taking 3 Ducolax and not only are the still hard-they don't come out at once! It's like I have to go in a series of attempts, which makes the pain so much worse. Tonight I am going to try Miralax- I see a lot of positive info on here about it. I have been taking Advil ( usually only two a day), and some people say that cause constipation. But I don't know what to do, I need to get through the day..any tips would be appreciated!
Juls814
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: Is anyone Gluten free?

Postby coconut » 24 Mar 2013, 16:12

My friend went gluten free and it healed her fissure. I tried and it did not heal. Gluten is a problem for some people and not others. I totally recommend trying it. Heck, if you can beat this by just giving up bread?!?! Please, that's a no brainer.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Re: Is anyone Gluten free?

Postby sterlingbird » 27 Mar 2013, 19:46

I was gluten free when I got fissures but had terrible diarrhea from IBS that I believe caused my fissures and fistula. I had always thought metamucil would act like a laxative and make things worse. It did not. It made stools soft and formed. I use the 100% natural psyllium orange flavor. The key is to drinK at least 2 large glasses of water. It has not only helped clear up the fissures but helps me control the IBS. I use coconut oil and take this daily along with a gluten and dairy free diet. It is not easy to live this structured but it beats laying in the tub for a month crying wishing I was dead. Life is good again. Depends on what lengths you are willing to go. Don't give up!!
sterlingbird
Salt Bather

Topics: 8