I am in HELL and need some love and information

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

I am in HELL and need some love and information

Postby Guest » 06 Apr 2013, 18:07

I am a 36 year old female with a history of GI issues. I have delayed gastric emptying and severe constipation that for 12 years. A month ago I started having pain that is beyond anything I could imagine and bleeding during and all day after using the bathroom. I went to Urgent Care first where they saw three fissures. They prescribed me Anucort suppositories which did NOTHING. I took many warm baths and used warm water enemas in the meantime trying to make things as gentle as possible. Things got to the point two weeks ago where the spasming burning knife like pain is unbearable. Bawling crying shaking. Curled up in ball wanting to die. Truly. I saw a GI doc yesterday. He could not complete the exam. Just seeing the very superficial one as bad as it was he said it was unethical to proceed. He said worst he has ever seen. I was given .4% nitroglycerin cream and have applied once so far. I really feel I need surgery. I cannot handle this level of pain. I have stopped eating in the last four days because I cannot cannot cannot tolerate making it worse. I have Lyme Disease, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, and many other issues. I am no stranger to pain. But this is beyond humanely acceptable. Do you have thoughts on surgery? I WANT TO DIE.

Re: I am in HELL and need some love and information

Postby momof7 » 06 Apr 2013, 18:54

Fortunately, the CRS I saw was willing for me to call him in 2 weeks if I still feel like I can't handle this. I was in tears as I told him that I had already been dealing with the fissure pain and spasms for at least 4 weeks. He also did not bother with a digital exam or anuscopy, he said it would just be cruel to try.
He also knows I really need a hemorrhoidectomy as well, but I don't want o miss time from work. School will be out soon, but if I get worse with these spasms I will go ahead with LIS and whatever else needs to be done.
Ali, I'm so sorry you are hurting so badly. I told my husband one evening when I was in so much pain I finally understood why people with chronic severe pain were often suicidal. Try not to get to concerned with the fact that so many posts on the board make it seem like it will never go away. I think most folks forget to check back in and say, "It's finally over!" once they get well.
Maybe you could make an appointment with a colorectal surgeon instead of just relying on the GI doc. They specialize in pains in the butt. Boy, hasn't that phrase taken on new meaning!
momof7
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Guest » 06 Apr 2013, 18:57

Thank you so much. I am researching surgeons now. I have so much going on already and this is beyond what I can handle. AND I am living with my mom with Alzheimer's. AND. I just lost my disability income. OK. Enough bitching. But I am just beyond in HELL.

Postby jr2 » 06 Apr 2013, 19:26

I'm so so sorry you've added fissures to your other health problems and that you have so much added life stress as well. I understand really well as I too suffer with multiple health problems. I agree with momof7 about finding a colorectal surgeon to work with.
I also want to encourage you to begin eating again. Your body will only get sicker and be less able to heal, and if you create deficiencies it will take longer and be even more difficult to heal. Improper nutrition will also worsen the stress. In addition, if a CRS does deem you a candidate for surgery you need good nutrition for that as well.
Do you have anything that works for your chronic constipation? Miralax? MOM? Stool softeners? It is essential to get your BMs soft and easy to pass, and will be even more essential if you do have surgery.
We all understand the level of pain you're in, the desperation and fear , and the feeling that you just can't tolerate this much pain. Browse around the forums. There are so many useful tips for dealing with fissures, and there is just so much support and help here .
Wishing you relief and gentler hours to come.
xo
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby FLhopeful » 06 Apr 2013, 21:36

Nodding, aligroff... the beyond humanly acceptable is probably an understatement for when the pain is intolerable. I blasphemed and felt like I was a victim of the Inquisition. Hearing that your doctor and momof7's doctor said further examination would be unethical and cruel is bringing tears to my eyes. The first CRS I saw did an anoscopy... It was hellish. He got over $200 for torturing me with that part of the consult alone... and it wasn't even all covered by insurance.
I found a new doc by checking Angie's list and many of the other places online where people leave physician's reviews.
I saw her Friday and am having surgery this Wed.
Find a good CRS who can see you soon.
jr2 is right that nutrition is important. Miralax helped me the most out of anything I've tried and I'm no longer in agony.
Hugs and I hope you feel better soon.
Totally off topic... did you use your name? My husband has Groff ancestors from SE PA.
FLhopeful
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Rachael 1984 » 07 Apr 2013, 03:43

Sorry you are in pain. We are all here to support each other.
The hell of Fissures is not understood by anybody unless they are going through this.
I feel your pain, I have 2 fissures, just had Botox and 2 hems banded. I was in the same burning hellish spasm pain for months. Still in pain now. Things can only get better, I know that ADs can help relax and give you a crutch to get through this.
Sorry you have other problems too, love to you and your mum. Rant here whenever you like. Image
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby guiness » 07 Apr 2013, 07:36

The fissure is the worst pain i have ever been in... However it is curable. Last week i was bad, this week i had maybe two bad days. Constipation is a killer with this... Avoid at all costs. Diet is incredibly important.... Try eating oatmeal, sweet potatoes, and sautйed spinach only for a couple days. Keeps my pain down. Oh, brown rice too. When i eat this kinda stuff the pain is either gone or minimal and i was able to return to work with few issues. Im on nitro three times a day, and 100mg doconasate every night.
guiness
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Guest » 07 Apr 2013, 14:51

Big (Hugs aligrofffrom hugs) from all of us here.
If no one ever got another fissure in a thousand years, that would be too soon.
We are heartbroken as we see yet another member, especially with your added health issues.
But this is the place to open up and lean on welcome shoulders as we share many of your sorrows.
We will not succumb, is a motto I'm sure everyone in this forum shares. You will find relief, we all hope very soon.
Please do keep in touch as this will help keep your spirits high.
Try everything liquid for a while, as this indeed helped me very many times heal-up.
Your in our prayers.......HTH