Canasa Suppositories-please read

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Canasa Suppositories-please read

Postby Juls814 » 04 Apr 2013, 15:41

Hi everyone,
I am new to your forum and because you all have shared information with me and given me much guidance, I would just like to share with you my results so far for the Canasa suppositories. Many of you have much more experience than I with these, this is, as far as I know, my first chronic fissure. The CRS that I went to Monday gave me these suppositories that are typically not prescribed for these, however, after reading everything I could, it seems like it might make sense for some- I have to say that it is two days after starting them and I have seen an amazing, immediate improvement in my symptoms. I feel like myself. After two months of agony, pain, depression, etc. I am not suggesting that this will work for everyone, I just wanted to share with all of you that I was taking the nifedipine for a month, and this Dr ( the 3rd one) simply wrote me this prescription, told me to switch from Colace to Miralax and come back in three weeks. After the CRS I saw last week was ready to operate. The Canasa had a very high co-pay..with my insurance it was $ 135. But for my particular situation, it has been a miracle. I just wanted to share the information, I would never have asked about this medicine, since everything I was reading ranged from calcium channel blockers to blood pressure medicine, and this does not come up as being used in the treatment of fissures. I have no idea why the Dr. prescribed this, or how it knew it would work for me. I do know that on my follow up visit in three weeks I am going to kiss him and ask him to marry me. :)
Juls814
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: Canasa Suppositories-please read

Postby Ever the Optimist » 04 Apr 2013, 15:46

Juls,
You just made me laugh! I don't know much about Canasa suppositories at all but I'm certainly going to google them now and really pleased to hear they are helping! That's great news....Fingers crossed the follow-up goes well and look forward to hearing all about the wedding! LOL. :D
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Jackmaniac » 04 Apr 2013, 16:18

Yay! I was surprised how much better I felt the first day after starting mine too. But then I did a lot of sitting and it backtracked a little.
My Dr called about my biopsies and just said that they showed mild inflammation consistent with colitis, so sounds like i'm still in undiagnosis land.
Still get little random sharp twinges of discomfort/itching at the bottom of my buttcheeks that still makes me think fissure. It's such a weird sensation that I don't know how to describe it. But glad it's working out for you.
Jackmaniac
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Juls814 » 04 Apr 2013, 18:57

Thank you!
According to what I have read, ulcerative colitis I think alsocan be called proctitis, could possibly cause fissures. So I would imagine that medicating the main source would be of help? The weird thing is that my Dr. did not do any tests yet other than a visual and rectal (ouch) exam. But he has been doing this for so many years, maybe he saw something? When I am healed I will have my colonoscopy. I am happy Jackmaniac that it is making you feel better too! And hopefully you will be fully recovered quickly! Thanks to you too Ever, and I will let you know if he says yes after I propose..lol!
Juls814
Fibre Addict

Postby owmybum » 05 Apr 2013, 02:24

I have never heard of them either... What are they mainly used for if not fissures?
I'm so glad they are helping you.. And so quickly too!!
If he says yes.... Can I be bridesmaid? Image
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Juls814 » 05 Apr 2013, 05:28

Hi Ow- thank you! From what I have read, they are used to treat ulcerative colitis/proctitis, inflammation of the rectum. He didn't say I had either, he just examined me, wrote the prescription and said I didn't need to keep using the nifedipine and he was using a " new course of treatment". I was thinking that maybe he had a patient who had inflammation of the rectum and a fissure and this worked? I also read that inflammation can cause fissures. I know there are people on this board who have been struggling for years, and my case seems minor to that- although I was literally crying for the past two months and unable to work. I felt better the day after the first dose, even better the second. I just wanted to share because as I said, in all of my research online about fissures, this stuff never came up. And sure, you can be a bridesmaid!
Juls814
Fibre Addict

Postby Mucho_Paino » 05 Apr 2013, 14:27

I don't mean to make fun of your pain and suffering but your post and the comments made me laugh - something we all need to do more of...
But I am wondering if I could be a bartender at your wedding. I could serve shooters of Miralax with an apropos toast of say,...."Bottoms Up"... :)
Mucho_Paino

Topics: 1

Postby PIA » 06 Apr 2013, 23:32

Thank You all for the info and the laughs. Image Image Image
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby Savaici » 07 Apr 2013, 11:42

Savaici
Administrator