new and sick of my fissure

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

new and sick of my fissure

Postby cuzzy » 08 Apr 2013, 13:26

hey i i have had my fissure for 7 or 8 years i kept it quiet for the first few years but then i went to the doctor about it because of the stinging as well as it started bleeding more and after a few creams that didnt work i left it again till a month ago my doctor gave me anoheal and said use it for a month it worked while i was using it not pain no blood but exaxtly 1 week after finishing its started again and its angrier than ever that is the only way i can explain it and seems to be bleeding more ,im not sure wether or not i can use it again and my doctor is on holiday great so any ideas what will calm it down or can i start with the cream again
cuzzy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: new and sick of my fissure

Postby cuzzy » 08 Apr 2013, 13:41

oh and the reason im not sure about using the anoheal again is because its also for lowering blood pressure
cuzzy
Fibre Addict

Postby Ever the Optimist » 08 Apr 2013, 15:25

Hi Cuzzy,
Have you ever received a proper diagnosis from a CRS rather than just a GP? If not, I would definitely suggest getting a referral especially since you have been suffering on and off for so long....The other thing that surprises me is that you were only prescribed the anoheal (Dilitiziam) for 4 weeks. In my experience, I was advised a minimum of 6 weeks (although it took 7 in total) to assist in helping me. Some use it for much longer. I think however you are right to stop using it for the time being until you can get back and seek some further advice on this, - It may be that the cream is helping but you need longer on it or you may be advised a different course of treatment. Is it possible you were directly aggravating your fissure further when inserting the cream internally? Maybe somewhere during the process, you possibly tetore? but the cream helped mask some of the symptoms?? I would definitely go back (try another GP if you are really suffering) but please get proper referral if you can and haven't already done so....In the meantime, just get in lots of hot baths, soft foods and loads of fluid. I find Aloe Vera really soothing, Coconut Oil is a huge favourite on this site too. Don't strain on the loo and use a bit of vaseline to lubricate the area pre-BM! There's 100's of helpful tips on this site and advice, so research it well!! All the very best to you and hope you find some relief very soon :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby cuzzy » 08 Apr 2013, 15:50

thankyou for the reply i will be looking for the tips now i have been using baby wipes none frageanced and alcohol they kind of help and thats all i could think of
cuzzy
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 08 Apr 2013, 18:00

Hi, cuzzy sorry to hear that you have your fissure suffering for so many years, I have mine longer believing that it was flare ups from hems, to find out after my first colonoscopy last june that it was a fissure no hems.
Sadly once this fissures become chronic (more than 4 weeks) or develop a sentinel tag they will always be present no matter how well we deal with them.
Is been 10 months since my last big retear and I am still dealing with it, better but no gone by any means.
If you have not seen a CRS like Ever the Optimist posted you should do that so he can give you a diagnostic and proper prognostic.
I already been told from my CRS that surgery will help heal mine, but I am still trying to see if I can beat this up without surgery.
We can learn to live with it, watch for retears and take care of them before they get out of hand, but a complete healing is something we can only wish for.
Some people are lucky and heal after years of suffering, some others only surgery helps.
Get a proper diagnosticcuzzy so you can pretty much know what your options are.
After that is plenty of information here that has helped me on how to minimize suffering, irritation and pain, I know it will help you too also.
I wish you the best.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby cuzzy » 08 Apr 2013, 18:10

hi marg they will never get me to sleep for surgery as i hate not the needle but the stuff that goes in you its a phobia of mine so living with it seems to be the choice for me i might go as far as the botox thing but as long as im awake my doc is away for the week but will get refered to the crs when hes back i had to start using anoheal again tonight as the stinging was silly i have the tag the doc said and i can feel it when using the cream
cuzzy
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 08 Apr 2013, 18:34

cuzzy I know how bad it is to be afraid of been under anehtesia, I had 4 surgeries and I know, is always that fear, but I had no choice on two of those surgeries, they were emergency.
But you can work with your fissure and make it comfortable, trial and error on how to cope with the pain and discomfort will bring you to a fissure routine that you can live with.
So far that is what I have been doing and while I get set backs they are mild and something I can live with.
The biggest help for me to minimize the irritation Vaseline and Carlson suppositories to keep the area lubricate before a BM, sitz bath and desitin when things get a littler bid worst than usual.
I can not longer use the nitro because side effects, but I am reading on L-arginine gel that is used for female enhancement that have the same effect in the anal area as the nitro cream, because it increases blood flow.
I will be trying that next.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Ever the Optimist » 09 Apr 2013, 13:37

Marg,
Can you post an update on the L-arginine gel once you've tried it? x
Cuzzy,
There are ways of living with a chronic fissure and a lot of people do, but ultimately, if this is ruining your quality of life I wouldn't rule out an examination under anaesthetic if offered it. I've had three and once you're out, you're out and it's all over and done with before you know it and for me that was a million times better than being prodded and examined whilst awake! It's really not that bad! It's really your call but I wouldn't rule it out completely. :)
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby Luka » 09 Apr 2013, 23:34

Hello cuzzy,
I'm sorry to hear about your fissure. These things are a beast and very tough to get rid of once they become chronic, but there is hope. Like Marg said, there are ways you can manage it without surgery. It may or may not heal that way, but if you don't want to go the surgery route, there are things you can do to manage the pain and help healing. I have no choice but to manage this on my own right now since I don't have health insurance and can't possibly afford the surgery right now. Plus, surgery scares the heck out of me and, from what I've heard on here and other websites, recovery is no walk in the park for most people. My fear is that my pain (of what little there is now) would be far worse after surgery, so I'm very hesitant to get it. My pain is manageable now, thank God, although it goes up and down. Some days are better than others, but it's nothing like it was a few months ago when I developed this over Christmas. If it ever did get to that level of pain again, though, especially on a consistent basis, I wouldn't hesitate for a second in having the LIS surgery. It was excruciating, life-destroying pain that I NEVER want to experience again.
I am still taking Diltiazem (I'm on my last week... it's been almost 12 weeks for me). I believe that is Anoheal in the UK? I'm honestly not sure how much it's helped me, though. Some days it seems to make things worse since it can burn the area a bit when I apply it. It does help to relax the sphincter, though. I haven't tried Nitro yet, but since I can be prone to bad headaches, I don't think it would work for me.
There are many great tips on this forum, including the ones already mentioned by Ever the Optimist and Marg. Just be sure to keep a healthy diet with a good amount of fiber, drink LOTS of water throughout the day, take stool softeners (if you need them), do gentle exercise like walking, keep the area clean with wipes, and don't strain. Also, try to reduce stress in your life. That's been the toughest part for me since I know part of the reason I developed this was due to extreme stress. That's what I've been doing, along with the Diltiazem twice a day.
I wish you well and hope you heal and feel better soon without any need for surgery. : )
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby Ever the Optimist » 10 Apr 2013, 15:28

Luka,
If it helps, I only noticed that my fissure had greatly improved once I stopped taking the cream. Whilst using it, I did get immediate pain relief but still noticed I was getting a lot of pressure in that area, like I needed to go to the loo but there was nothing to come out. I had mild irritation too in the area (common side effect) and couldn't really tell exactly whether I was healing or not! I can't tell you how nervous I was about coming off the cream completely but seriously, the spasms and tightness stopped and I could feel a major difference than prior to using it.....Hoping you have the same and it has really helped you too :)
Ever the Optimist