Does Milk of Magnesia Stop Working After a While?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Does Milk of Magnesia Stop Working After a While?

Postby Anonymon » 04 Apr 2013, 10:01

I am making a significant amount of progress thanks to, among other things, Milk of Magnesia dissolving my poop into a nice watery consistency. Progressively over the last few days, however, it has gradually been less watery, until finally this morning it was solid enough to cause a minor retear :(. And I was doing so well!
Anyone else had their osmotic laxative seem to possibly crap out on them?
Anonymon
Salt Bather

Topics: 26

Re: Does Milk of Magnesia Stop Working After a While?

Postby Savaici » 04 Apr 2013, 10:56

I have used MoM for quite some time, and it always seems to work for me. I take less than a quarter of the measure though.
Sometimes, when I sense things are not quite as easy, I take a small piece of a pericolace tablet.
I tried Miralax, but was too intense. Have you tried Miralax?
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Anonymon » 04 Apr 2013, 13:04

I've yet to try Miralax, which I know is the staple around here. I mainly like Milk of Magnesia because it affects what's already in the colon to my knowledge, and because of that, anything left in there from a possible case of diverticulitis on my part can get hit with a double day's worth of water. For me, the only thing that hasn't retorn me has been complete watery BMs.
I was taking the full 4 tbsp dose. I dabbled with 2 tbsp, but it wasn't enough for me. It just made things a little moist. I may have to up the dose a little... I was worried at first because it did dehydrate me and throw off my electrolyte balance after a week, but potassium supplements and increased sodium helped with that.
So the ducosate based tablet helps you? I had tried another type, but it seemed almost to make my stool harder.
Anonymon
Salt Bather

Postby Anonymon » 05 Apr 2013, 13:09

As an update:
I upped my Milk of Magnesia dose from 4 tbsp to 5-5.5 tbsp. it worked, but the night was brutal. I felt like my intestines were a roller coaster of water and gas being pushed on down, and worried my finicky anus wouldn't be able to hold it. I may reduce the dose tonight.
I think my problem may have been that my body absorbed more of the Milk of Magnesia the days prior because it lingered in my stomach longer, and I was feverishly hungry to promote it. This last time, I flushed it through with a few glasses of water.
Anonymon
Salt Bather

Postby Savaici » 05 Apr 2013, 17:59

Some good information about laxatives can be found here:http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/laxatives/HQ00088
Very important to drink enough water with them.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby 3 years now » 09 Apr 2013, 08:50

try taking oil for a while, coconut or oive. 2 tbsps first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Wash it down with a full glass of warm water mixed with juice.
its good for you, softens the stools NATURALLY, and is healing to the intestines. No side effects from long term use.
MOM works well, but long term use is not good for you.
Please try the oil.
3 years now
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Anonymon » 09 Apr 2013, 11:26

I actually eat a lot of oil already. Mostly Olive Oil, with some Coconut Oil mixed in as of last week. I don't take it on an empty stomach, but with food. I have about 1.5 tbsp 2-3 times a day with meals of either oil, mostly Olive.
It, and fat sources in general, do help keep my stool softer and lubricated. But for me and my fissures, it just wasn't enough to be soft. It had to be completely liquified to avoid reopening because any dilation of the anal area of any degree seemed to risk tearing it again.
With my first fissure, oil and less fiber was fine. It seemed to do well within a week or so. Not 100%, but it never took over my life. But since my old one reopened, became deeper, and earned a friend, anything but passing near water has been risky business. At some point I can graduate down, but liquefying my bowels has been all that's kept the tears from opening again. I took .25 tbsp less Milk of Magnesia last week and had a retear, so I'm presently afraid to take anything but a full cap for at least the next couple of months.
I did become dehydrated and developed an electrolyte imbalance after the first week, but I've since been able to manage it. With all I do, as well as the Milk of Magnesia, I need like 12+ 12 oz cups of water a day, along with more salt and potassium to counter balance things.
I really wish I could do without, but it's all I have at the moment :(. I'm already out a month or more of work for the most part, and Milk of Magnesia's all I can afford presently. I am considering getting help to get some Nitro cream, however.
Anonymon
Salt Bather