Soooooo much pain

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Soooooo much pain

Postby ottawagirl » 12 Apr 2013, 19:23

So I'm new to this Site and new to talking to anyone besides my sisterabout what's going on.
I've had this problem since late November & I'm at the stage where I want to cry just thinking about using the bathroom. Lastnight was my last & painfulest bm ever!! I had an anxiety attack & cried before and after... I'm at the point where I never want to eat again.. That or cut my ass off! During the day I ache,burn & itch.
I'm 23 & I feel so helpless, sad, worried.. & everything else..
I've been too emergency twice the first time he looked and put his finger in there I felt totally violated.. He recommended I take metimucal & purchase anusol..he also gave me a bit of thisclear jelly & said itwould numbthe area... The numbing gel burns when put onbut makes it bareable to move around.. The anusol does no justice nor does the metimucal.......
ottawagirl
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Soooooo much pain

Postby ottawagirl » 12 Apr 2013, 19:56

And reading this Site makes me cry because from what I've gathered there's only more pain to look forward too.... Excuse me while I sit in the bathroom and quietly cry :( fml
ottawagirl
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 12 Apr 2013, 20:16

ottawagirl, sorry to hear that you are in so much pain, also that your doctor visit was rude to you.
I wonder if the doctor you went to see was an actual CRS or just your regular medical one.
If not then you need to see a proper CRS that will give a diagnotic of fissure.
Because anusol is great for hems but they are not the standard prescribe medication for fissures.
The fiber will help you achieve smooth BMs that will not be hard for the already irritated area, also make sure that before a BM you use a lubricant like vaseling or baby desitin cream to so that your fissure do not get too irritated after.
Also, you can take two spoons of coconut oil by mouth, warm is best, to help make the stools slippery.
After a BM you can do a sitz bath to help clean the area and only use baby wipes no toilet paper, sitz bath can be done with a tub full of warm water.
Then you can apply more vaseline of desitin for the irritation this will help with the fissure until you get a diagnosic and the proper medication for it.
I wish you the best. Image
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Ever the Optimist » 13 Apr 2013, 03:25

Ottawagirl,
So sorry to hear of your current distress but honestly, there are so many things you can do to relieve some of the pain and yes, whilst things are acute, they hurt, but it doesn't stay like that forever!....
Start by changing your CRS or getting one if you don't have one. Do NOT go back and see that same guy - you need someone who will take you and your distress seriously and someone who is fully aware of what you are going through and wants to help you will NOT even attempt to examine you like that if it is causing any distress. My CRS refused to examine me internally and referred me straight for an Examination Under Anaesthetic because it the kindest method for them to examine you without causing undue stress. Anusol does NOTHING for fissures, another reason, I would not go and see him ever again, so don't even bother using it. You need the proper creams and medications targeted directly at fissures.
You need to go back for help but not from him and in the meantime, start to ease your suffering with lots of hot baths/ Sitz baths, try Coconut Oil or Aloe Vera as relief topically, use Vaseline pre BM to lubricate the area and coat the fissure, eat lots of fissure friendly foods and drink loads of fluids. Do NOT strain on the loo and do NOT overwipe (use a shower head to clean off if you can) and introduce a stool softener to keep everything soft soft soft.
There are 100's of fantastic tips on this site. You are not alone!.....
Yes you will continue to feel pain for a few days and maybe a week or so until all the above methods start to relieve the fissure more but take pain killers in the meantime to relieve the rawness.
You will get better honestly with the proper guidance and advice....Read some of the tips and success stories on this site to give you some desperately-needed reassurance.
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Ever the Optimist » 13 Apr 2013, 03:28

I forgot to add do not take CODEINE based painkillers. They can constipate.....Regular Paracetomal/Ibruprofen will help take the edge off it all x
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby J-Fissure » 13 Apr 2013, 07:43

One thing I've done recently is to use a lot of Vaseline before having my BM. It creates a barrier to the fissure and also lubricates. I have had unbelievably bad anxiety about BMs, but now that I have a routine, I'm much less anxious.
Also, I understand about the "burning"... nifedipine cream, lidocaine cream, prep-H all cause burning for me. However, vaseline is really enert and won't interact. Its thick so it seals the wound/ulcer instead of covering it like a cream might.
I'm really sorry you felt violated. I have to admit doctors are pretty terrible at explaining the exam. You may have to shop around for a good CRS that you are comfortable with.
Its true narcotics can cause constipation. I wouldn't necessarily rule them out though, it sounds like you have regular BMs and you are in a lot of pain. If you become constipated you can always stop taking them.
J-Fissure
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 13 Apr 2013, 09:34

you said:
I'm at the point where I never want to eat again

Believe me, many of us have been there, to the point where we become more rational by saying.
"Maybe I should not eat so much of this again."....
Which is what many of us have found to indeed help overcome our fissures. Please do watch what you eat.
I know you may be saying but I have been eating like this for the longest why did I not get the fissures before.
Alas alas, you see our dilemma. While diet alone may not have caused AFs, it sure can go a long way in preventing and or healing your AFs.
I battled mine for over a decade off and on, I thought it couldnt be what I eat because I was basically eating the same stuff before my fissures.
But I think genetics caught up with me ( mom and dad had hems) and over time my anus finally quit on me..ala AFs.
It wasn't until several years and "tears" later that I found what I needed to stop eating so much of before my fissures stopped recurring.
I only wished I'd payed more attention to what I ate back then as it would have saved me years of pain and discomfort.
HTH
Last edited by Guest on 13 Apr 2013, 09:47, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: add

Postby Savaici » 13 Apr 2013, 11:19

Dear ottawagirl.
Image and lots of Image to you.
So sorry that you have not had the greatest success with your examinations. We have nearly all been there and experienced this. The best doctor in the world is not always the most gentle, sadly. I have seen a few who have been wonderful, and a couple who just did not seem to understand that anus has so many nerve endings there and every touch is excruciating. I have been examined by one who kept going even though I was screaming...not nice.
If you can get to see a Colon and Rectal Surgeon (CRS), and explain the situation BEFOREHAND, and stress that you would like the examination under anesthetic, this would make a tremendous difference.
Sitz baths are good to relieve pain; I use them every day and this has made a difference. It is trial and error for us, as to what helps and what does not.
If you are using metamucil (something to bulk your stool up - I use the cookie/biscuit ones, and they are palatable, cinnamon flavour), make sure that you are also drinking lots of water. At least 8 to 10 glasses a day (8oz each).
Lidocaine sounds like the clear jelly. It might help; I just found it burnt me. A lot of these things have alcohol in them, which is what burns. Not sure is lidocaine does. I use vaseline.
There is a lot of information on here, and many people prepared to answer questions.
All the best,
Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby ottawagirl » 13 Apr 2013, 14:34

Thanks for the feed back everyone... Today I purchased a 2 litre water bottle, tucks whipes & a tube of vaseline I wasn't sure if just normal vaseline was fine?!
Tmrw is my bm day... I'm super scared :/!
I've been seeing someone for the past 5 weeks and now that my fissures are extremely painful he's noticed a mood change in me and realized I'm being distant... I know I've changed & I just wish this would all go away and I had my life back.. I feel like karmas really kicking me in the a#*.
*sigh*
ottawagirl
Fibre Addict

Postby Ever the Optimist » 13 Apr 2013, 16:03

Hi Ottawagirl,
Normal vaseline is just fine!
Before your BM, just generously apply a load of vaseline around the anal opening, a little just inside (if you can) and try to relax the best you can whilst on the loo. Focus on slow deep breathing and just keep repeating in your head " This is going to be OK and it will get better each time" Once you're done, have your Sitz bath/ regular bath ready to hop into and even better, use a shower head first to gently clean up. Then pat dry the area and apply a little more vaseline/ coconut oil etc. If you can, perhaps just lie on your side for a short while too if you hurt too much. Try not to be scared and just convince yourself it's all temporary and it will get better......
If you feel you can let your partner in on it all, even better. You will feel better for sharing - you don't have to go into it all in great depth - just let them know you have a medical condition you are currently treating and things are a little painful for you right now. If they truly want to be with you, they will have to accept that! If not, then maybe you need to reassess your relationship with them.
Remember it can happy to anyone....so don't blame yourself. Good luck with the BM! & come back if you still need to vent! :)
Ever the Optimist