Stress

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Stress

Postby littlebutterfly » 12 Apr 2013, 20:01

Can stress alone (environmental emotional mental) bring on anal fissures? I have been caring for living with my mom with Alzheimer's for three years. I cannot help but feel that this has something to do with my current situation.
littlebutterfly
Salt Bather

Topics: 21

Re: Stress

Postby Anonymon » 12 Apr 2013, 22:17

Not directly. But it can contribute to a situation that can promote an anal fissure forming, and not healing. Constipation, lower digestion and vitamin/mineral absorption leading to lower quality skin and healing and even stool coming out, dehydration, and the list can go on. It won't cut your butt, but it can make it more cutable, harder to heal, and send things down your digestive track that are apt to cut it. It can even tighten the spinctor and make it hurt more while hindering healing during spasms.
Anonymon
Salt Bather

Topics: 26

Postby delasama » 12 Apr 2013, 23:42

Stress is bad for everything. Be happy no matter what. I know it sounds impossible. Stress and sadness is inside you. Therefor you can be happy again only by internal thoughts. So just tell yourself you might as well be happy anytime you can. Then again sometimes you just need a good cry. I cried alot when my fissure was at its worst and sometimes it just feels good to cry and vent...just remember that everything happens for a reason, no matter how crappy it is.
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby Ever the Optimist » 13 Apr 2013, 03:05

Hi Littlebutterfly,
I agree with Anonymon totally on this.
It's not a direct cause but can contribute majorly to the physical circumstances and the sitution that arises because of stress that impacts on your digestive system.....
Mental stress leads you to feeling so depressed and low about it all, that it's hard to remain positive with the determination to fight the thing. I so believe in that mind-body connection and the fact that a positive mindset greatly assists in dealing the issue.
I am certain that stress probably played a major role in the onset of my fissure - I was going through a relocation just before the fissure erupted, pressures of sorting out a new school for my daughter, the stress of finding a new job and adjusting to totally new surroundings. I am certain my dietary standards dropped because we were eating more convenience and fast foods at that time whilst trying to do a multitude of other stuff associated with moving. My body clock was out of sync, my eating habits changed and bang two months later, the fissure....Now I've calmed down and settled, I have a chronic fissure but dealing OK with it now I am able to plan proper meals, tackle my mental stress issues etc......
I appreciate totally you are dealing with an extremely tough and distressing situation but please ensure you take time out to look after yourself too and hopefully you have close friends and other support that you too can turn to, to release your own frustrations and stress.
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Guest » 13 Apr 2013, 10:37

Ahh Alzheimers
I too have lived with a loved one with the "A" word.
I think I understand your question. All other things being equal, you wonder what you have done differently to bring on that fissure.
Perhaps its like the straw that broke the camels back. Stress may have been that last straw for you. Now ask yourself is this stress a mental thing thats messing up my digestion process or is it perhaps causing me to neglect other things essential for preventing fissures.
Please, you know as a "caregiver" we have to always remind each other to make sure we take care of ourselves.
Just remember what they tell us, its the Alzheimers acting out and not my mom or dad.
The last thing we want to do is deal with a difficult person, while our butt is making things worse.
Please relax, please take time to wind down, joining a "A" caregiver forum may very well help with the stress as it sure did with me.
Patience patience patience.........GL HTH OXOX