3 days post LIS - my experience so far

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

3 days post LIS - my experience so far

Postby CHP » 12 Apr 2013, 03:55

Hello all,
I'm a longtime reader of these forums, though I've never signed up. However, since reading these forums has given my hope, some advice along my journey and surgery is often the last resort (and scariest bit) of the fissure experience I wanted to give something back to this community.
Bit of background first: UK based 22 year old male, was very fit and active before getting my AF 10 months ago. Tried everything under the sun to get rid of it, including but not limited to ultra high fibre diet, GTN, Movicol sachets, lactulose... Nothing worked. Mind you, the sachets of laxative helped so much, I didn't even know I had a problem down there but it ultimately didn't help the fissure heal. I finally saw a CRS in January who told me to have either botox or LIS and I opted for the surgery as the most likely solution to work. I was rather lucky to land a CRS who has pretty much devoted his life to fissures, fistulas and rectal cancer and knows that part of the body like the back of his hand.
My operation was Tuesday 9th April at 9.00AM sharp. By 10.00AM I was waking up in recovery and in some discomfort. I was given 3 or 4 shots of tramadol to help manage the pain over the next 2 days, and I was discharged on Wednesday 10th in the evening.
I was sent home with a large supply of pads, codine, movicol, lactulose and instillagel to use as and when which I have been doing. Had my first BM this morning 3 days post-op. I had some pain but it wasn't from the BM itself more the soreness of the muscles getting used for the first time post-op. I've had some pretty nasty spasms today, though I was told I might get these for upto a week. Its not excrutiating pain but you can't exactly ignore it either. As for my mobility I can get up and out of bed with little effort, but walking is a bit of a challenge, and I can't get up and down stairs without help right now. I'm aiming for a longer recovery (2-3 months) so I can give myself the best chance to heal as I don't want to end up back in hospital for another op!
My biggest concerns so far are the lack of a 'proper' stool forming, since I'm on so many meds right now and I still feel some pain in the same area as the fissure just like I did before the op. I'm hoping this is just soreness as its not during BM I feel it more when I move around which I am trying to minimise. I don't seem to have any bleeding or leakage, if anything its a bit difficult to pass wind right now which is another small worry. Overall, my pain level is higher than it was with just the fissure pre-op but my pain during a BM is lower so I'm hoping I am on the path to recovery.
Another thing is I'm getting some lower pack pain/pressure - not sure if this is something to worry about since I haven't seen it mentioned too much in other posts so any experiences people can share about this in particular will be helpful.
Please, ask me questions! I never asked once of this community since I just sat back and read but since you all gave me so much without knowing, ask me specific things you want to know and I will do my best to answer them.
CHP
CHP

Topics: 1

Re: 3 days post LIS - my experience so far

Postby andyk123 » 12 Apr 2013, 13:53

I guess im not the only 22 year old with a fissure then!
Glad to hear you are on the other side. I am day 15 post surgery now. Your description of pain etc sounds similar to mine. I also struggled passing gas, it was almost as if the muscle was expecting pain so it would tense if i felt a angel gas coming.
I stopped pain killers on day 2, just keep in mind they can constipate, i found they just werent worth it as the pain was managable with out.
Remember to have plenty of baths etc to keep area clean aswell, although im sure you are
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby CHP » 14 Apr 2013, 14:13

Ok, 5th day post-op today and noticed some horrendous pain when going for my morning BM. After having a feel and a look in the mirror there is a small red lump right on the skin. It looks very angry indeed and I'm worried it might be an infection so I'll be going back to the hospital tomorrow hopefully for an examination. Quite frustrating since I've been keeping very clean, taking everything I was prescribed upon leaving hospital :(
CHP

Postby marg6043 » 15 Apr 2013, 07:49

CHP sorry about the set back, but sometimes infections can happens after having any procedure that involves surgery.
Hopefully you will get some meds and the healing will keep on going.
Let us know how your hospital visit went. Image
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby CHP » 30 Apr 2013, 18:55

Ok, so 3 weeks post surgery now and time to post a bit more about my recovery.
Had a major panic that I was developing some kind of infection due to a small angry looking lump I found. Went to see my GP instead of running instantly to the surgeon. He told me it was a form of overhealing that caused the skin to swell and it would settle down in a few days. Indeed, it was the case and the lump is no more there or causing pain!
So I can walk about now, mostly pain free. I even did a light gym routine for the first time in almost 11 months since first getting my AF a couple of days ago. I've stopped all pain medication, take one sachet of Movicol a day now in the evenings and have started using GTN again when I go to sleep just to give things a little extra help down there. I've also managed to splash out on a couple of food vices that used to cause me utter agony (pizza never tasted so good :D )
Latest post-op thoughts: I'm a little worried my surgeon was too conservative as I have a bit of a tight feeling when going for a BM. I have no idea if this is normal post-op or not and the sensation leaves the mildest pain/dull ache for no more than 5 minutes after. It could just be me hoping for a more speedy recovery and worrying for no reason - after all I am only 3 weeks post-op and I know from reading here many people take a few months to feel properly normal again. I'm hoping my extra GTN thrown in will help if conservative surgery has occurred and keep me from going under the knife for a second round.
CHP