Need advice

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Need advice

Postby katrina77 » 17 Apr 2013, 18:00

Had LIS in August. CSR said fissure healed within a few days but his suture was taking longer. Stopped seeing CSR in Dec since he kept saying it's almost healed and was getting better but VERY slowly. Finally put the sitz baths, etc away about a month ago and decided to schedule a vacation to celebrate. Got the flu about 2 weeks ago and couldn't sleep laying down so slept sitting up in recliner for about 4 days while going to work at desk job. Had really bad cough. Then butt pain started again. Hoping it's hemorrhoids, but who knows.
I tried coconut oil for first time starting 2 days ago- is it supposed to burn? Had some suppositories from doctor but quit taking them a few days ago. Not having any blood but pain and now it feels a little swollen inside.
Back to sitz baths but never knew if they really helped to begin with. How do you completely dry after a sitz bath?
Still on miralax and not having hard stool but may be bigger today due to eating more fiber. Not having pain during bm but really didn't until after LIS (butt pain was pretty much 24 hrs vs certain period after bm).
For those that have hemorrhoids, did you ever have symptoms from internal ones? I thought you weren't supposed to but then the CSR said the fissure is healed....
Not sure if I should go back to gastro who I originally saw to see if it's hemorrhoids but he does rectal exam different that may make fissure worse and he didn't see the fissure anyways or go back to CSR or try a different CSR. I got tired of the CSR making statements and my having to correct him about my medical situation (you told me you did an LIS so why are you saying that fissures are difficult to heal) and "it's a simple procedure that will be done in the office and you can go back to work next day". But then maybe all CSR's are that way.
Or maybe I should just lie down as much as I can and wait patiently for it to heal which is what maybe did it the last few months.
I am at my wit's end so appreciate any advice. Thanks.
katrina77
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Need advice

Postby jdhouseholder » 18 Apr 2013, 19:57

I would get back on your Sitz baths, they do help and would get in to see my CRS as soon as I could. The Sitz baths not only provide relief but also help to promote healing by increasing the blood flow to your fissure. I have had internal hemmies and they really never hurt, just bled. But from what I'm beginning to realize is no two butts are alike, so it could be. Hope your symptoms improve greatly!!
jdhouseholder
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Re: Need advice

Postby marg6043 » 18 Apr 2013, 21:12

katrina77 I am so sorry you are feeling so frustrated with your new symptoms, but until you go and see your doctor all you can do is speculate on what is oging on with you.
Hems unless thrombosed should not last more than a few weeks.
Fissures can reopen after LIS or they seem healing ok but they can take months for a full recovery.
So is not unusual to have mild set backs but it should heal faster than before LIS.
If you are still having problems and don't know what to do i recommend that you see your doctor.
Meanwhile treat it like you will do with a fissure, plenty of lubrication with vaseline and keeping you stools soft and easy to pass.
I hope everything is just a minor set back and things will go back to a full recovery.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8