Prep before surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Prep before surgery

Postby suzyljank » 25 Apr 2013, 08:00

I have a question, I'm using magnesium citrate for bowel prep. I just took it not even 10 mins. ago and it's already working. The bottle says it could take 1-6 hours.. Is this normal? I know I'm supposed to drink more liquid but right now I'm fighting nausea any suggestions on how to help this ? Thanks Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Re: Prep before surgery

Postby Savaici » 25 Apr 2013, 08:37

So sorry that it is working so fast. Are you drinking water to stay hydrated. With our 'delicate' stomachs, we tend to have everything work faster, is what I feel. I know that it did on me when I had my sigmoidoscopy. Make sure you drink enough water, even sipping through a straw, as you will get very dehydrated. If you think your reactions to it are too severe, do not hesitate to call the doctor... Feel for you. Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby jr2 » 25 Apr 2013, 09:11

yeah, Savaici is right. Those preps work lightning fast on me too, and nausea/vomiting is a big problem for me. You do need fluids, so try taking small sips as you can and make sure what you're drinking is not cold. Warm liquids will help relax your stomach more. I suffer with chronic nausea and have prescription medication for nausea/vomiting, and if yours gets bad, your doctor can prescribe you something. Sometimes walking around helps, sometimes just being still and breathing deeply into your lower abdomen helps. There is also an acupressure point on the inside of your wrist that you can massage that is surprisingly helpful. Two finger widths in from the wrist crease. Also, ginger or peppermint tea (if you're allowed those), can settle the nausea. Hopefully, the nausea will just pass as the cleanout gets fully under way.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby suzyljank » 25 Apr 2013, 09:18

I was wondering, yesterday I had breakfast and the rest of the day it was a liquid diet. I took my miralax 1 teaspoon in the afternoon and a heaping capful at bedtime. This morning I took a whole bottle of mag citrate. My first two bms were brown but now I'm passing just clear liquids except for the tint of the mag citrate , I used cherry because I wasn't restricted on colors. Do I need to take another bottle of mag citrate, because they told me I might need to take 3. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby jr2 » 25 Apr 2013, 09:45

that's a tough call. personally? i probably wouldn't take any more because i probably couldn't. But the problem is if you still had any food left in your small intestine from a couple of days ago (some food can take longer to make its way through), you would be left with that residue after your surgery, and after anesthesia, which is going to slow your bowels down more. So, while not taking any more won't hinder your surgery, it might make that first BM more troublesome. You might want to put up with doing one more dose today to hopefully make things easier after the surgery.
(Of course, the best bet is to get the doctor's advice)
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby suzyljank » 25 Apr 2013, 12:27

Hi, I just managed to get the second bottle down. Keeping it down might be a little harder to do though. Since everything is coming out clear I don't think there is any need for a third bottle. Thanks for your help. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby owmybum » 25 Apr 2013, 13:52

Oh Suzy..... I have no advice for you, but I just wanted to give you a cyber hug.
It will all be over and done with soon.
OMB xxxxxxxx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !