Could use a little encouragement...

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Could use a little encouragement...

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 30 Apr 2013, 12:23

Well, after having nearly of week of slightly reduced pain (e.g., 6 or 7's versus 8 or 9's), and keeping my stools pretty soft/loose (a major accomplishment for me!), I had such a bad episode of pain after passing a second, looser stool this morning. I got into the sitz bath as soon as I could, which did help, but I was in tears. I haven't noticed as much bleeding (usually a small amount) or stretching sensations recently, so I was taken by surprise by the intensity of irritation. Just wondering whether those of you who have improved/healed went through these set-backs. Image I do see a PA (physicians' assistant in the CRS/rectal clinic) tomorrow...not looking forward to another exam, but hoping he can tell me if I'm healing or going in circles. Any thoughts? I'm considering trying botox next.... Image
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Re: Could use a little encouragement...

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 01 May 2013, 14:33

Well, no responses. Maybe I just sound like a whiner??? Well, more info. I went to see the PA/CRS today. He didn't add much insight despite the hassle of getting another rectal exam! The fissure is still there (I knew that!) and he couldn't tell me if it looked better or worse. He did rule out a second fissure (I've had more posterior pain, I thought, even though the fissure is anterior). So, it's on to a consult with a CRS surgeon within my network. I plan to discuss botox (possibly with some degree of fissurectomy/otomy) versus LIS. I was glad to find a link to Davo's LIS dairy and read much of that today. It was uplifting and funny. Image I have less dread about proceeding along to one of these procedures or another. Although I'm definitely anxious about it! It's just hard to admit this thing isn't going away on it's own!
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 01 May 2013, 15:36

Hi just pain tired!
I don't have too much to contribute other than to say I feel your pain! I had LIS on Monday, and if your fissure isn't healing on your own, you might want to consider going that way. From what I understand (and, folks, correct me if I'm wrong!), the risks of Botox are comparable to the risks of LIS, with a much lower success rate. Slightly more than 48 hours post-op and discomfort-wise I feel where I was before the procedure. Whatever route you go, hang in there! Relief is on the way. Sometimes in the midst of pain, it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. But it is there!!!
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby GeorgeTheCatMan » 01 May 2013, 15:47

Hello Just Pain Tired, I'm brand new here and I don't know how much help this reply will be, but I was diagnosed with a fissure back in February. The colon-rectal surgeon put me on Nifedipine ointment and told me to come back in three weeks. At that point there was some improvement, so he told me to continue and return in four weeks. At that point I was feeling pretty good, very little pain or bleeding, and he said that I was about 70% healed. Since then I've been under alot of stress and this past weekend after a rather hard bowel movement I felt the pulling sensation again. Now the blood after each bowel movement is getting worse so I have an appointment next Tuesday for an examination. So this is a major setback for me after making some progress. I'm fully expecting to hear that it's time for me to make an appointment for the LIS. The Dr. doesn't really believe that Botox is very helpful. He's willing to try medicine for awhile then on to LIS if no results. Hopefully you'll get some good information at your next appointment. Take care and best wishes.
GeorgeTheCatMan
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby howtobepositive » 01 May 2013, 15:50

I feel you man. I suffered for months and although mine did get a lot better with the use of NTG and regular sitz baths and taking time off work, I couldnt heal it 100%, i plateaued ar about 80%. Just went through LIS yesterday so cant say if its worked for me or not just yet but from what I read here and what the doctors told me the success rate is pretty high! I dont know much about the procedures you mentioned but now that you have that appointment with the CRS make sure you have a list of questions to ask and that you discuss all options and the advantages and disadvantages of all.
I personally tried botox as well and it did work but wore off pretty quick and wasnt enough time for the fissure to heal. The way that LIS works is that it gives the sphincter relief so it doesnt spasm which increases the blood flow to the area and helps the fissure heal as if the sphincter keeps spasming it is very hard for the fissure to heal itself. You can read my story as I continue to recover to find out what I go through - http://anal-fissure.org/t6602-surgery-done-now-can-i-have-my-life-back
Either way do know that with NTG, botox and LIS, one of them will most likely work for you. I know how bad life sucks with AF and all of us sufferers can appreciate what youre going through but you gotta stay positive and patient.
howtobepositive
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 01 May 2013, 16:30

Thanks guys!!!! I really appreciate your replies! I just got back from a walk and was weighing botox versus LIS, botox versus LIS--so it is helpful to hear of your experiences with that. If you care to comment....how is the procedure for getting botox compared with LIS surgery? I'm just wondering if it's worth trying.
To George the Cat Man--I had a similar experience with pain dropping off after five weeks and thinking I was 'out of the woods'. I thought I had a thrombosed hemmie, didn't know it was an AF at the time. So after another three or four weeks I re-tore and was back in Pain City big time. I've been there another 9 weeks.
Thanks again for the encouragement--it really helps, especially coming from people who have been there! I will follow your progress post-LIS and hope you guys heal well!!! Image
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 01 May 2013, 21:02

I went directly to LIS, figuring it was the gold standard for AF, so I'm not sure how it compares to Botox. Keep us posted on what you decide and remember that there is no right or wrong- it's just what's right for you!
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby Anne37 » 01 May 2013, 23:17

I don't know much about the botox either aside from what I've read of others' experiences on this site. When I brought it up to my CRS dismissed it immediately saying it wasn't any more effective than the Nifedipine cream he'd prescribed me. That sort of surprised me since so many on this site have tried it, but I trusted his experience and am glad I did.
I'd tried everything I could think of and after 4 months of taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back I finally opted for LIS and a fissurectomy. All it would take is one bad BM, usually because I was overloaded at work and didn't have time to eat right and drink all 64 oz. of water. Regardless off the reason, I simply wasn't healing. Today marks one week since my surgery and I'm glad I did it. I was petrified of LIS - hate shots, getting cut, worry about anesthesia, etc. but reading about everyone else's experiences on here made the decision a bit easier. For me the final decision to do the LIS came when I felt my quality of life was completely gone. I wasn't eating, driving, keeping plans or even making them anymore. I began to realize I was losing touch with a few good friends and work was becoming unbearable. Was I ever going to be able to ride my bike again or walk my dog more than half a block?
I agree with Ceeteefeebs in that there is not right/wrong. It's what's best for you, and I think you'll know when/if it's time for you. I'm not a proponent of jumping into surgery if you can get it to heal on your own, but while the past week (since surgery) has been difficult I see a light at the end of the tunnel that I'd lost sight of after being worn down from the daily pain. I mean... I actually drove my car today for the first time since surgery and although my stitches were bothering me, I COULD SIT WITHOUT SQUIRMING! I actually started crying I was so moved by that fact. lol.
Ask yourself if the pain is bearable and you have the strenght to keep fighting or if you've been dealing with it so long that you're simply out of energy. Maybe that's your answer. Keep us posted on what you do or don't decide and hang in there!
Anne37
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 02 May 2013, 19:06

Thanks for sharing your experience, Anne37! I can tell I'm moving through a process, because the LIS surgery has been something I was unwilling to consider. I'm going ahead on the surgery consult and will see how things go in the meantime. I'm keeping the words of advice from you and others near and dear.....I can definitely relate to your quality of life question--mine has been completely turned upside down and I don't want to live like this much longer. Yet, today was a better day.......I'll keep y'all posted! Thanks again! :)
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Anne37 » 02 May 2013, 21:26

I'm glad to hear you're going for a surgery consult - the more information you have in your hand the more you'll know whether it's the right move for you or not!
Anne37
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2